3.5: Alor

Carnal: Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

PART TWO

 

"Try this one."

Jongin looked down at the piece of roast duck his brother placed on his plate and cringed his nose. He had always been particular about food since childhood, but careful not to offend their host, he picked up his fork, stabbed the piece of duck, and took a tiny bite.

His eyes widened, a surprising burst of olive oil, duck fat, and spices swimming around his tongue.

"Our cook is the best," Joonmyun smiled at the young boy's expression, "if there's anything any of you want, feel free to request it from the kitchen."

 

They were all now seated in the dining room - well-bathed and dressed in freshly pressed clothes. The only one missing was Chanyeol, who had excused himself to go do some reading in Joonmyun's library.

The rest were busy chowing down on the first bit of well-cooked food they had missed out on for days now. Next to him, Baekhyun's golden hair was damp and fluffy, a scent of cherry blossom lingering - he obviously had rushed to dry his hair and Jongin smirked at the clumsy strings of fly hair waving in the back of his brother's head.

 

"What?" Baekhyun caught him staring.

Jongin shook his head.

"Did you sleep?" his brother scraped the cucumber mix from his own plate onto his brother's plate.

"Yea...you?"

"Hm..."

 

The group was eating their fill, engrossed in the warmth of being inside and in good company.

"How long have you lived here?" Kyungsoo questioned their host.

"Most of my life," Joonmyun answered vaguely, "An old friend was gracious enough to sell me this house years ago, and I've been stuck here ever since," he smiled.

"Miri used to tell us about this place," Baekhyun chewed on another piece of duck, "She said it was enchanted."

Joonmyun nodded, "Some rooms....I expanded them over the years, see?" he pointed at a wooden sigil placed over the door, "This room is one of them."

"Is that why this place seems so big?"

"Yes, unfortunately, Alor is a dense city so most houses are enchanted to feel bigger than in reality. It is, perhaps, something you can only find in Alor."

 

 

While they were talking, Jongin quietly shoved his vegetables over onto Kyungsoo's plate when he wasn't looking. The poor guy was now perplexed at how the number of broccoli had suddenly grown on his plate.

Jongin grinned - a childish twinkle in his eye.

 

 

Chanyeol slumped onto the edge of his bed, his damp burgundy hair slicked back, and a thin towel barely sheltering half of his body.

He had returned to the room after spending countless hours in Joonmyun's library trying to find the journal that could possibly solve their problems, but it was missing despite his extensive search.

He would have to ask Joonmyun about it later. He sighed, exhausted from being constantly on alert the past few days. He had slept the least among the group and it was now taking a toll on his body. His muscles ached, his skin aggravated from the hot shower he had just taken, and his eyes drooped with dark circles.

 

The dimly lit room was washed with trickles of light pouring in from the skylight above. The comfort of the bed eased his body as he lay there, gazing dreamily at the skylight - a vision of blinking lights encircling the pale moon. He lifted his hand in the air to cover it, a blaze of orange and blue erupting from his fingertips.

This was, perhaps, one of the only places he could truly let go - to feel safe using his powers without the fear of it getting out of control. Joonmyun had placed a charm in this room exactly for that purpose. The flames danced in the air around his hand, snaking around his fingers like a restless pet. He chuckled out loud, at how ridiculously good it felt to be so free there.

The flames flickered into tiny orbs, slowly settling into his palm, but it was quickly extinguished when an abrupt knock interrupted his concentration.

He sat up, hurriedly slipping into a linen robe.

 

"Come in," he said, finally fully covered.

The oak door creaked open, a bob of blonde hair peeking through.

"Baek..."

"Hey," Baekhyun walked in, nonchalantly eyeing around the room like he was making sure they were alone. He shut the door quietly behind him.

"Wow," he muttered out loud, staring up at the giant skylight above, "Looks like you got the best room."

Chanyeol grinned at his blatant jealousy.

"You missed dinner," Baekhyun noted, leaning against a vintage oak dresser and fixing his hair in front of the mirror.

"Yea...uh...I wasn't hungry."

"Hm......" Baekhyun stared into the mirror, Chanyeol's reflection was avoiding eye contact and shifting on the edge of the bed.

 

"So where were you?"

Chanyeol gulped. He had two choices. One, hide what he knew from his friend which quite possibly would not work. Two, tell him the truth. But, could he trust Baekhyun?

"I know you know more than you're letting on," Baekhyun continued, finally flicking a piece of hair away from his eye, satisfied with his messy look.

 

Maybe option two was better, Chanyeol thought. It wouldn't hurt to have someone helping him.

"I was in the library....trying to find a journal," he spilled.

"Journal?" Baekhyun raised his brow, turning to face the other - his arms crossed.

"Yea, I mean, I'm not sure if it's here, but I remember reading some of it when I was younger. It had a lot of information about Ancients and this....prophecy....."

 

Baekhyun's gaze narrowed, a piercing gaze bearing on his friend.

Chanyeol was unsure what to make of it.

 

"I see," Baekhyun simply answered, "Well, let me know when you find it," he finished and then abruptly left the room without another word.

 

 

"Is the library okay?"

Jongin nodded, following Joonmyun into a dimly lit room with dark curtains and tall shelves filling every wall. There was a large walnut desk in the middle of the room with piles of leather-bound sketchbooks. Joonmyun moved them and proceeded to pull two chairs.

 

They had finished dinner, and everyone else had gone back to their rooms to rest. Jongin had not yet told his brother about the conversation he was about to have with Joonmyun. Thankfully, his brother had already disappeared to check on Chanyeol just minutes before.

He looked around, books stretched from the floor to the heights of the vaulted ceiling above. He walked over to one of the windows, shadows of the night passing by behind the thick curtains.

"Alor is not as flattering in the night," Joonmyun spoke.

Jongin stared back at the man.

"Safer inside," Joonmyun smiled, gesturing at the open seat across the table.

 

Jongin walked over and sat down as he watched the other place a black leather-bound book between them. There was an odd marking engraved on the cover - it looked like two circles, sun and moon overlapping each other, maybe; he couldn't make it out.

"Before I begin," Joonmyun stated, "I do have questions of my own if that's okay."

Jongin nodded.

"Can you tell me what happened in Manoa? Is Miri okay?"

Jongin felt his throat constrict.

"Were you attacked?"

He nodded.

"Is she alive?"

"I....I'm not sure....we didn't wait to see..."

 

Quiet filled the room. Maybe it was Joonmyun trying to calm his own emotions or maybe it was Jongin unsure what to say, but neither seemed to want to break the silence.

Joonmyun watched the boy before him and wondered just how much could he divulge. The last time he had talked with Roe was years ago. They had promised each other to reveal Jongin's past when it was the right time. If in the case that Roe, Vana, Miri, and Raff were captured or dead - it was imperative that Jongin knows about the reason the couple had adopted him in the first place.

 

"Well, at least there is a certainty," he finally spoke out loud, "that none of them have passed on. In fact, if Miri had passed, I would know. You see we're connected in a way."

"How...?" Jongin blinked.

"Miri and I share our powers, we weren't born with it though. It was a gift given to us by our grandfather. When we were younger, he decided to split it so that we would both have equal control of it - in some way, it would also connect us if any one of us were in danger. So you see, if something dreadful did happen to her, I would know."

Jongin's shoulders eased, feeling relief at knowing Miri was alive. He wondered if Joonmyun would know about the others.

 

Joonmyun leaned forward, now sliding the leather-bound book across the table. Jongin stared down at it, his curiosity building.

"What is this?" he asked.

"This is something that belongs to you," the other replied commented, tapping at the cover, "Only you, do you understand?"

Jongin nodded.

"You will not share any of its contents with anyone else, not even your brother."

Jongin looked back at the other. How could he keep secrets from his brother? His plan, obviously, was to tell him about this exact conversation with Joonmyun.

 

"I know the gravity of what I'm asking you," Joonmyun assured, "but it is imperative that you promise me you will keep this to yourself. You will understand once you read it."

Jongin thought long and hard. Whatever was in this book would tell him about his past, a piece of himself that had been missing all this time. His memories before his life with Roe and Vana were obscure - like a fog that he couldn't get through.

He wanted to know. No. He needed to.

"....okay. I promise," he finally answered.

Joonmyun nodded in agreement. "Before you read its contents, I'd like to share a story about your parents. But, this might take some time, should I call for some tea or biscuits?"

Jongin smiled, "No, I'm okay."

 

"Alright," Joonmyun leaned back into his lounge chair as if gathering his thoughts, "Many years ago, when I was perhaps a few years younger than yourself, your father and I served together under the Red King."

Jongin sat up straight. What?

"I know what your thinking, but please let me go on."

Jongin nodded, an unease settling in his stomach.

 

"In those days, we didn't have much of a choice, you see. The war was raging on. The Kingdom of Westia had declared war against Gaamor, plundering towns and cities to cut off supplies. It was a cursed time, Jongin. Many people suffered. Many people lost those that they loved. Every able young man, such as myself, enlisted and served to protect what was left of our lands. Back then, Gaamor was ruled by King Marok, an aged man who was slowly approaching his death. His only son was a general named Drago, entitled to the throne and a force to be reckoned with. A man we all believed would win us the war. We were all ready and willing to serve him, you see," he paused, "I'm sure you haven't read any of this in your history books?"

Jongin shook his head. The only thing they had learned about the war was that the Red King had saved the kingdom from destruction.

Joonmyun smiled, "There are many things I regret, Jongin, and you will find as you grow yourself that there will be situations where the decisions you make might not have the exact consequences you expected. After a year, I was dispatched to Renfell to join a special unit, the Black Moon. We were charged with only one task, the assassination of Westia's King. It was the only way to end the war. The unit was led by Drago, he was much older than us and considerably far more experienced. Under his command, Black Moon consisted of myself, Raff, Roe, a few others, and your real father...."

 

Jongin sat silently, his eyelids widening at every bit of information.

 

"Your biological father's name was Mathieu Ignes - his strength had gained him the status of Drago's right-hand man and the trust of the rest of the unit. It was without question, Jongin, why Matheau was respected so - even Drago considered him like a son. And so we followed his every plan, as any loyal soldier would, not because Drago had commanded so, but because your father believed in him. You have to understand - the decisions we made then, to follow Drago - how hard it was. We saw something in the man, we saw hope in the future. We saw protection for our children. And we told ourselves that everything we did was justified no matter how evil. Everything went as planned and Westia eventually fell. It was then that Marok passed and Drago assumed the throne. You know him now as the Red King. Even then, we had followed him, but power changes a man, Jongin. Changes him into something unrecognizable. We didn't consider it then......

.... Your father had fallen in love with Drago's only daughter, Neaya. She was a woman of beauty, of elegance so pure that even my own words fail to describe the ethereal creature that she was. She was loved by her people and we were all in love with her, Roe, Raff, and I. But we cared for your father even more, and we celebrated their union. It was without question that the people then saw Matheau as next in line to the throne. And that in itself was a threat...."

".....why...?" Jongin muttered out loud.

"As I said, Jongin, power changes a man. Slowly and surely, the throne was all Drago cared about. He would do anything to keep it even at the expense of his own people. Matheau was the first to recognize it in him, the first to rebel against him. We all followed, soon after. For two years, your father led a rebellion to overthrow Drago, and things were going well until we found out about a prophecy. A prophecy of your birth. A prophecy that could shake the entirety of what Drago had built for himself in the kingdom. When Drago heard of it, he was furious - maddened at the idea of it. He sent armies in search of your parents....in search of you.....

....we lost many, then, Jongin. Many. Raff was once married, you know. He lost his wife and a young child during the rebellion. And I....well, we all lost someone. Raff, Roe, and I did everything in our power to protect your parents, to keep them hidden. But the King's wrath was relentless, he had grown more powerful than you can imagine, fueled by desperation to be rid of you.....

....you are the love child of one of the strongest men in history, the right hand of the Red King himself. And your mother? She was a pure descent of a Celestial - whatever power you possess, the prophecy said it was capable of defeating the King. Your very existence was a threat to his rule."

 

Jongin drew in a breath. 

 

"When the Red King came to rid of your father and mother, I took you," Joonmyun continued, "and staged your drowning in the river. It was sheer luck that the King believed me. As far as he knows, you died that day."

Joonmyun gazed at the unease washing into the other's face. He knew the news would not bode well, but it was important that Jongin at least know this much. He had fulfilled his promise to Roe with this information.

"I'm sure you don't remember much from when you were

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter