9: Merdan Forest

Carnal: Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Fear reminds you that I'm alive...

 

It didn’t take long.

The others were waiting - their heads turning expectantly as his boots hit the ground. The steps toward them were certain while to his far left, something held him captive.

He glanced once in their direction and then paused - his breath caught off guard.

Captive eyes watching warily.

Golden hair and honey-brown irises meet his gaze.

He in his breath and then turned his head in anger.

Dealing with the Zero’s insubordination was another thing. He could see them all flinch as he approached them.

 

“You ignored my orders,” he growled, his ice-blue gaze penetrating through their uneasy smiles.

“Orixe,” Luhan hesitated, “Uh…we all thought it would be easier….traveling I mean…”

“It was my decision,” Yixing stepped in, calm and unwavering, “I advised Lu to wake him.”

For some reason, Orixe kept silent then, which was surprising, considering he was always strict about the chain of command. Yixing was his right hand and had never once disobeyed his orders.

“It doesn’t seem like he has any memory of us,” Yixing sighed, “And he’s been keeping his distance.”

Orixe frowned.

“Luhan, get them ready,” he commanded instead, ignoring the other’s statement, “we need to move now if we want to reach in time.”

Luhan pursed his lip but nodded anyway, splitting from their group and heading towards the other. Immediately after, Orixe turned away as well in an irritated huff, walking towards their now-dying campfire to grab his outer coat.

 

 

“I thought he’d be furious,” Chen mused.

“So did I…” Yixing nodded, his gaze now fixed a distance away; Luhan was busy instructing Baekhyun and his friends, “Maybe his memories are just buried. We could remind him?”

“Is it really our place though?” Xiumin raised a brow, “Shouldn’t Orixe be the one to tell him?”

“We have as much right as Orixe,” Chen snarled at his comrade, his lips curled, “Or did you forget that we all pledged the same oath?”

The sharp words brought a certain tension to the group. Xiumin’s complexion darkened, no longer hiding the clear irritation pulling at his brow.

“Enough,” Yixing scolded, “This is not the time. Chen, it would be wise for you to show some respect to Orixe.”

Chen scoffed, his folded arms displaying a clear disdain for the others. But, he did not say another word.

“The journey to Krell is long,” Yixing calmed himself, “We’ll have plenty of time to evoke Baekhyun’s memory and…” he paused, his brows scrunched In Jongin’s direction, “…other things.”

 

 

“So that’s him?” Baekhyun nudged his brother.

After Orixe’s abrupt arrival, they had departed the camp and were now on their way toward the city of Krell. According to Luhan, the journey would take them two days if they could all keep up a good pace, which Baekhyun found a bit too optimistic.

Their current pace was fast, too fast and the strong winds that evening made it worse. He found himself out of breath with every step trying to keep up with the Zeros. After two hours of that, he finally burst out loud - yelling that if they didn’t slow down, they might as well just knock him out and carry him the rest of the way.

He was expecting a fight, of course, maybe anger even. He could see the surprise and fear on Kyungsoo and Sehun’s faces and feel the tug of Jongin’s hand on his shirt warning him to stop.

But instead, he met amused smirks on the Zero’s faces as they simply shook their heads at him.

Surprisingly though, right after, they all walked slower. And for the rest of the day, it stayed that way.

 

“Yea, that’s him,” Jongin nodded as they both watched the dark overcoat flapping behind Orixe.

“Does he talk?” Baekhyun questioned bluntly, a little too loud.

He could see Orixe turning his head slightly.

Jongin shushed him. “ Of course, he can.”

“Well,” Baekhyun shrugged, “I’ve barely heard him say anything.”

“He doesn’t talk much.”

“Weird,” Baekhyun scoffed.

“You think anyone who doesn’t talk as much as you is weird.”

Baekhyun shrugged again, a smug look on his face.

“I’ve been meaning to ask,” Jongin linked arms with his brother, “What happened at the cathedral?”

Baekhyun’s gaze darted behind him. Chen was a bit farther back from the group, accompanied by Xiumin. He shivered as his body recalled the frightening strength of the Zero.

“I’m not sure,” he bit his lower lip, “I remember they attacked us. Soo and Sehun were fighting with him. And then the next thing I remember is waking up.”

Jongin nodded, his fingers gripped tightly around Baekhyun’s arm.

“I was scared,” he admitted, avoiding the other’s gaze, “When they brought you…” he clenched his jaw.

 

Baekhyun caught the low quiver in his voice and then smiled, tossing his fingers through his brother’s hair.

“Don’t worry,” he voiced, “I’m not going anywhere.”

 

“You two okay?” Chanyeol walked up to Jongin’s side.

Jongin nodded but Baekhyun didn’t answer. Chanyeol side-eyed his blonde friend cautiously, now entirely sure that he was giving him the silent treatment. This was normal, of course. Baekhyun always held his friends with high expectations especially when it came to protecting his brother.

Jongin caught the exchange and smiled.

Nothing changed - things were still the same. It gave him a little bit of peace knowing that.

“How’s the leg?” Chanyeol whispered to him. He was asking about the ancient strapped to Jongin’s right leg. They had secured it that way back in Alor and Chanyeol had placed a charm to keep it hidden from view.

“It’s okay,” Jongin answered. He could feel its weight slightly, but it wasn’t too bad. He could still walk comfortably.

“Let me know if you get tired.”

Jongin nodded.

“Or if you get cold, I have an extra jacket in my pack,” Chanyeol offered.

“I’m okay, Yeol. Thanks.”

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes listening to their conversation. He diverted his attention then, his gaze burying deep into Orixe’s back. He was so lost in his own thoughts that he failed to notice a certain Zero now matching his stride.

“Curious?” a voice whispered in his ear.

He flinched, turning his head to find Chen smirking. Jongin and Chanyeol tensed at the Zero’s presence, especially when Chen slipped his arm over Baekhyun’s shoulder with ease.

Baekhyun shrugged it away, frowning.

“Don’t touch me!” he snarled.

Chen eyed him for a moment and then sighed.

“Baekhyun,” he worded slowly, “Baek….hyun……Baekie.”

Baekhyun shot him a glare, wishing he would shut up.

“I guess I’ll have to get used to that name,” Chen sighed again, “You really don’t remember anything, huh?”

“Why do you guys keep asking him that?” Jongin blurted, his brows scrunched. This was the third time they had questioned his brother.

But Chen ignored him, instead wrapping his arm back around Baekhyun’s shoulder - this time gripping tight.

Baekhyun stopped in place, unsettled as Chen’s face hovered inches near his.

“See Baekie, unlike the others, I know you the best,” the Zero leaned around to Baekhyun’s ear, his voice dropping to a low whisper while his iris darted to where Jongin stood, “after all, you could never resist picking up strays.”

 

Jongin couldn’t hear. But, whatever the Zero had exchanged in confidence seemed to upset Baekhyun. Within a matter of seconds, Baekhyun’s arm reached out, palms shoving aggressively against Chen’s chest.

The entire group stopped walking, turning to see the commotion as the Zero stumbled back, his feet fumbling to find balance. Baekhyun’s back was turned, so Jongin couldn’t see his face then - none of them could.

But panic spread fast at Chen’s reaction - the way he stood confidently re-adjusting his disheveled coat, pale eyes wide, eyelids curled down, and a smile widening into a discomforting cackle.

 

“That’s it!” the Zero mocked, lips stretched, “Haha, so you do remember!”

 

As dusk drew near, the air grew cold and Jongin could feel every hair on the surface of his arms. He stepped forward and then came to a halt as the last rays of sunlight hit his brother’s face.

Fear.

It crept under his skin with an intensity that brought shivers to his spine.

His gaze remained fixed, studying.

Uncertain.

Everyone could see it now, feel it no matter the distance. Baekhyun stood still, the evening breeze filtering through his blonde hair just enough so they could catch the cold glint in his eyes.

The details mattered to Jongin because they measured the level of his brother’s rage.

Like the way Baekhyun’s fist was clenched to his side despite the lack of tension in his shoulders.

Or the way he remained wordless, his chest rising slightly with every breath.

But noth

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter