6: Ablaze

Carnal: Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An untamed fire is just destruction unleashed...

 

“ Found it,” Jongin pulled out the bundled knife from Chanyeol’s dresser.

“Good,” Kyungsoo sighed in relief, “Let’s go.” He turned to leave, turning at the door to find the other standing still, staring at the bundle in his hands.

“Jong?”

Jongin looked up. He paused.

“What if I can get to Chanyeol?” he muttered out loud.

Kyungsoo frowned, a realization of what the other was implying. “No.”

“But –.”

“No, it's too risky. You don’t have full control of your powers yet, and this is not the time to test it. Now, let's go.”

Kyungsoo was upset - confused about his own emotions, at his friend’s lack of clarity, and at the little moments of tenderness he had caught between Jongin and Chanyeol.

He turned again to leave.

“You go ahead,” Jongin replied, “Give me a minute.”

Kyungsoo stopped, his fists now clenched. He didn’t look back, because he already knew. He didn’t have to see it to know. The confidence in Jongin’s voice was clear - he had made his decision.

He gritted his teeth.

“If you go,” he barked in anger, “don’t expect me to come and find you.”

And he walked out, even if every part of him wanted to stop the other. He walked out because he had to - because he didn’t want to feel the way he was feeling at that moment.

And he knew Jongin would go regardless of what he said.

 

 

Jongin’s shoulders were slumped, his conviction hurt and swayed by Kyungsoo’s last words. He sat down on the edge of Chanyeol’s bed, trying to shake his evident nerves away.

“I have to do this,” he muttered to himself. Chanyeol could be badly hurt somewhere - defenseless. He owed his entire childhood to his friend, a friend that had stuck with him, and kept him from losing himself.

His decision was rash, sure. He had only begun to use his powers again just a day ago and it was unstable. Kyungsoo was right, of course, but he had to try. He had to do something. Anything.

He stared down at the bundle. Chanyeol had said this thing would amplify his powers. If that was so, maybe it could also help focus it.

He removed the cloth, one fold at a time, a flash of silver revealing as the smoothness of the blade glistened between his fingers. He winced, a residual reminder of the pain he had once felt, but then a change overcame him. 

A surge of something he had never felt before.

His blood curdled, his limbs suddenly full of energy, static bouncing through his bones and nearing his heart. The shock was like plunging into a freezing river - immediate and unnerving.

His eyes were closed, a picture of Chanyeol’s face pulling into his mind - a tall figure, large ears, goofy smile, and he willed his powers awake. It crackled under his skin like electricity - the cool metal of the knife slowly growing hot in his palm. He held tightly onto its hilt.

For a moment he felt like he was floating, his legs numb and the air shifting around him. He could hear the lull sounds of the night, whispers of the city, he was there in the room and yet everywhere at once. And then his body lifted, the sheets under him fading away.

For a moment, his fear returned; his confidence wavering. He opened his eyes and it was dark, an endless darkness surrounding him.

He stood still, afraid to move, afraid to speak, but then, like a wisp of smoke she appeared.

 

 

Her hair was silver-grey, her eyes pale and sharp.

Her gown was a sheer olive, gently curved around her thin frame. She moved like the wind, graceful and carefree.

Her lips were parted to a smile - a hum emanating from deep within .

The tune resounded within him, filling him with an emotion he couldn’t explain.

“Young master,” she spoke, her head tilted to one side, “welcome back.”

He opened his mouth but was uncertain what to say. A thousand questions swirled in his mind.

“The vow,” she voiced, “You must complete it.”

“…vo..vow?” he stuttered.

She nodded. “Yes, only then will you wield it all.”

Jongin furrowed his brow. He was confused - unsure.

“Hurry,” she smirked, “Your friend is standing at death’s door.”

“Chanyeol…”

She nodded again.

“If I do it, you’ll take me to him?”

“Yes…”

“….how do I complete the vow?”

Her lips parted wide, a glint in her eye. “You must echo your true name.”

“My name?” Jongin wasn’t sure what he was getting himself into, but the fear of losing his friend overpowers his doubt.

“Jongin,” he stated, “My name is Jongin.”

She chuckled her fingers to her lips.

“No, young master. Your true name.”

A flash of confusion washed over Jongin’s face.

She studied him, waiting. “I see,” she said finally, a frown on her lip, “so you don’t remember.”

“Remember what?”

She stepped closer, her face now inches from his. Her scent was of honey-le and a warm summer breeze.

 

“No matter,” she waved her hand, “I’ll make an exception this time.” She placed her palm on his chest, directly above his heart.

“Goodbye, young master. Till we see each other again.”

A pain like no other suddenly struck Jongin’s heart, he cried out as he felt his body crumbling, eyes dawning to a close as he fell.

 

The last glimpse he had of her was of her lips - frail lips curling into a frightening smile.


 

 

“Jongin!” Joonmyun cried, gaping at the sight before him. “Wha —?”

“What the hell! How did you get here?” Chanyeol gasped, limping briskly towards the other. Just moments before, a dark shadow emerged from the darkness to reveal a very weakened Jongin, who now leaned against the building.

“Came to get you,” a sly grin spread across Jongin’s face, clearly pleased that the teleportation had worked. Although the impact on his body and mind was not exactly a piece of cake. He walked over to his wounded friend, now finally seeing the reality of Chanyeol’s wound.

“It looks really bad,” he voiced his concern.

“I’ll be fine,” Chanyeol nodded, words more to himself than anyone else. “What about the others?”

“They’re heading to the church.”

“So they sent you?”

“Uh…” Jongin cleared his throat, “Not exactly.”

Chanyeol groaned as he realized that Jongin had come here of his own will. “Baek’s going to kill me.”

“You might be dead before that,” Joonmyun stated, grunting as Chanyeol’s weight now feel heavier against him.

“We should go,” Jongin led, “Here,” he walked over to Chanyeol’s other side, swinging the lanky arm around his shoulder.

“The church isn’t far,” Joonmyun noted, “Just half a mile more.”

“No,” Jongin argued, “I’ll transport us there.”

“What?” Chanyeol’s large eyes expanded, “No, you can’t — how —.” He now noticed the knife hanging from Jongin’s belt.

“It's okay,” Jongin assured, “I can do it. You’re not going to make it walking.”

“You shouldn’t have used that,” Chanyeol whispered in his ear, carefully so that Joonmyun would not hear.

“I know,” Jongin whispered back, “But I didn’t have a choice.”

 

 

“I should’ve known he’d do something stupid,” Baekhyun barked as he paced the kitchen floor.

Kyungsoo had reported Jongin’s plan to the rest of them.

“We don’t even know if it actually worked - if he made it safe,” Baekhyun’s arms were flying, his face contorted, “That idiot! If I see him I’ll - –I’ll —,” his hands dropped, “If anything happens to him, I’ll –.”

“Nothing’s going to happen,” Kyungsoo firmly stated, and yet his eyes exposed his own worry.

 

 

A loud crash interrupted their conversation. They all turned to the kitchen door to find Sena stumbling into the room, her baby blue dress covered in red and her face as pale as snow.

“Sena!” Baekhyun called after her, running to catch her in his arms.

“They…they know you’re here, you need to go,” she wheezed, “go….” her life was slowly fading from her eyes.

Baekhyun could now clearly see the long gash along her chest, the work of something sharp like a claw. It was too late to save her, the wound was too deep.

“Tr…tr…..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter