8: Orixe

Carnal: Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There is something you don't know about him...

PART ONE

 

“Why are we leaving the city?” Kyungsoo questioned, glancing back towards the city gates they had passed just moments ago.

They were on a dirt trail now, treading away from any source of light and deep into the shadow of the forest.

“We’ll draw too much attention there,” Chen replied, twisting his necklace in his hand. He would check, from time to time, on Baekhyun’s sleeping face - making sure that Xiumin was carrying him comfortably.

Kyungsoo frowned.

The act itself was very uncharacteristic of Chen - the same Zero he had once seen standing on the bloody fields, whistling happily as he decapitated his enemies.

He shivered, trying to wipe the image away.

“Why is the King so sure we have the Ancient?” he asked.

Chen sighed, rubbing the back of his neck with irritation.

“And why send all of you?” Kyungsoo pushed on, “You could have handled this yourself.”

 

Chen emitted a long groan, turning instead to his comrade.

“Baozi,” he pouted, “Can I please just kill them? He’s so annoying.”

Kyungsoo pressed his lips - exchanging worried glances with Sehun.

“We’re almost there,” Xiumin spoke to all of them, “you’ll have your answers then.

 

Kyungsoo clenched his jaw, his heart unstable as every possibility struck his mind. He peeked to his side. Ever since the mention of Orixe, Sehun had become quite submissive and had hardly spoken a word.

Kyungsoo didn’t blame him though - Sehun had fought Orixe once before and ended up months in recovery. It was pure luck he had survived at all. The leader of the Zeros was not one for showing mercy during battle - the mere thought of his cold blue gaze terrified him.

He took a deep breath.

Soon, he thought, A few more steps, and soon I can see Jongin again. Make sure he’s okay. Soon.

But his heart fluttered with a mixture of emotions as Chen began to whistle - the Zero’s lips curling to the sides as their eyes met.

 

 

As soon as his feet touched solid ground, Jongin pulled away - putting some distance between him and Orixe. He looked around - they had flown over the forest and rested in small clearings miles and miles away from the city.

The density of the dark evergreens frightened him. The ground was cast with dim moonlight - just enough that he could make out Orixe’s shape.

“Wh…where are they?” he asked bravely, rubbing at the sore arm where Orixe had held onto him.

No answer.

“You…you said they’d be here,” Jongin tried again, “They’re not here.”

“They will be, soon,” Orixe answered, turning to walk towards trees.

 

Jongin watched from afar - Orixe had broken off a few branches, cutting them into smaller twigs and collecting them into a mound on the ground.

He shivered - suddenly aware of how cold the night air was getting.

“Come sit,” Orixe commanded, pointing at a log near a new brewing fire.

Jongin paused.

When did he do that?

He walked over, still keeping his distance but close enough to the growing flame that he could feed off the heat. He watched in silence as Orixe tended to the fire.

It felt uncomfortable every time their eyes met - blue eyes that felt like it was dissecting through his mind.

He gulped.

 

Orixe turned his head. “They’re here,” he voiced.

Jongin jerked in the same direction. To the left, from the clutter of trees, a group of figures emerged.

 

As soon as he recognized them, he ran.

“Soo! Sehun!” he yelled, running to quickly embrace familiar faces in his arms. He held onto Kyungsoo tight, breathing deeply as relief washed through his whole body.

He was alive. Alive and in his arms.

“It’s okay,” Kyungsoo murmured into his neck, “We’re okay,” he pulled away slowly, smiling.

“Where’s Baek?” Jongin asked immediately, looking around.

“Over here,” an unfamiliar voice answered. Jongin turned to see two new strangers standing behind him - one with oddly pale eyes and the other with bubble-gum pink hair.

Long wool coats - just like Orixe. He frowned.

Zeros.

And then he noticed his brother’s limp body flung over one of their shoulders.

“Baek!” he cried, running to his brother and holding his face in his hands, “What happened?”

Suddenly, cold hands tightened around his wrist - he grimaced in pain.

“Let go,” the pale-eyed one growled, tightening his grip, “Who said you could touch him?”

Jongin grit his teeth, and a wave of sudden anger flushed into his skin.

 

“Chen,” Kyungsoo glared, “Leave him alone. They're brothers.”

Chen scowled but then let go, ignoring Jongin as he and Xiumin, still carrying Baekhyun, went on to Join Orixe by the fire.

 

 

“Don’t worry,” Kyungsoo assured, patting Jongin’s back, “Baek’s fine. They don’t seem to want to hurt him.”

Jongin seemed unconvinced but nodded still.

“What happened to you? Where are the others?” Sehun inquired.

“They’re with the other Zeros.”

Sehun sighed, pushing his hair back in frustration. They would be far too outnumbered now.

 

“I don’t understand,” Jongin confessed, “Who are they exactly?”

“Monsters,” Sehun spat bitterly.

Jongin stared back, confused.

“They’re the King’s personal army,” Kyungsoo explained, “Apparently, they’re after your knife.”

Jongins’ eyes widened.

“Do you still have it with you?” Kyungsoo whispered.

Jongin nodded. It was hidden beneath his right pant leg - Chanyeol had strapped it as a precaution and concealed it with a charm if anything like this had very happened.

It was a good thing the Zeros had not checked.

“Do you think we can fight them?” Jongin asked naively.

“No,” Sehun muttered, “We won’t stand a chance. It’s better to wait for now.”

Kyungsoo agreed.

“Joonmyun and Chanyeol are with them then?”

Jongin nodded.

 

Sehun cursed.

The other two glanced at their friend curiously.

“Joonmyun,” Sehun muttered, “He must’ve sold us out. There’s no way the Zeros would have known exactly where we were.”

Jongin’s brow was furrowed. “No, he wouldn’t do that.”

“I know you think otherwise, but not everyone has good intentions, Jongin,” Sehun argued.

“But he would’ve —”

 

A cry of agony broke their conversation as they all turned to see Chen gripping at his head, crouched on the floor with Orixe looming over him.

They ran over, startled by the sight.

“,” Sehun sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter