1: Manoa

Carnal: Awakening
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Manoa is heaven, its home......its where I met you.

 

A single hand swayed in the air, fingers cutting through the morning fog and shrouded in its veil. The sea swayed at its beckoning – hypnotized by its rhythm. And as the fogged veil parted the sky, a glimmer of sun broke through, revealing a head of dark hair surrounded by a sea of gold.

Slowly and gently, the hand fell against the tall golden grass with chest rising to a steady heartbeat and breath from lips lifting the edges of a single yellow leaf. It hovered above him for what seemed like minutes until it brushed against his sun-kissed skin – only to be swatted away irritably.

It was an uncommon sight, to witness such undisturbed peace in nature – as if the earth itself carried some desperate desire to engulf the boy in some capsuled slumber and never let him wake.

At least that’s what Baekhyun imagined as he strolled into the fields that morning only to find his younger brother fast asleep.

He smiled, not at all surprised by the sight.

 

"Jong!!"

 

The sleeping boy roused awake with a slow and undisturbed pace – his palms pushing against the dirt as he sat up. He turned and waved lazily at the mess of golden hair now quickly approaching him.

“So this is where you went,” Baekhyun shook his head, plopping down into the lush grass, “you really can sleep anywhere.”

The night before, he had heard rustling, only to find his brother missing from breakfast and quite incidentally chores the next morning.

“Nightmares again?”

“Mm,” Jongin acknowledged, pushing his dark bangs away from his drowsy eyes, “what time is it?”

“Past noon. At the pace you’re going, you could probably out-hibernate a bear,” Baekhyun laughed while his brother punched at his arm lightly. “Same dream again?”

“I guess….it's getting worse,” Jongin frowned.

Baekhyun was getting worried. His brother had suffered from chronic nightmares ever since he was young, and lately, he would even go days without sleep in an effort to avoid them. The grasslands were probably the only place he could ever find his brother fast asleep.

 

“You know, maybe we should try to ask Yan about this."

“Yea,” Jongin scoffed, “I’m sure that’d help. ‘Hey, Yan. I know you already think I’m weird, but can you please help me interpret my nightmares and tell me if I’m going psycho?’ Yea, he’d definitely love that.”

The two of them stared at each other for a moment before bursting into fits of laughter. Baekhyun rolled back into the grass, clutching his stomach and imagining the elder’s grim face.

Elder Yan had always taken a keen interest in his brother, and sometimes he would just stare intensely at Jongin for minutes. It was just plain creepy.

 

“Oh!” Baekhyun sat up quickly, nudging his other shoulder. There was a grin stretching from one ear to another.

“What?” Jongin tilted his head slightly – one brow raised curiously.

“Guess who invited himself to your party today?”

The sarcasm and mischievous twinkle in Baekhyun’s eye easily gave away the answer and Jongin groaned, glaring at the beaming smile on his brother’s face.

“God, this is the worst birthday ever," he whined.

“Could be worse!” Baekhyun chuckled, patting the other’s back in comfort, “We better head back though. Vana’s been a bit crazy since she found you missing this morning.” And he winked, pulling his disgruntled brother to his feet.

“By the way,” Baekhyun chided, “way to skip out on chores” and the two of them started heading back to town.

 

 

Jongin took slow steps so he could match his brother’s pace.

Despite being younger in age, he was actually the taller of the two brothers – which Baekhyun found quite insulting as he often reminded Jongin that he still had time to grow. Most people, though, would simply gawk at the two and wonder at their relation to each other.

Physically, the two were complete opposites. Jongin’s dark locks stood out against Baekhyun’s golden hair that now glimmered under the rays of sunlight.

He often thought his tanned skin to be dull in comparison to his brother’s pale and soft complexion. Even now, as he glanced at the tussle of gold hair now falling perfectly over his brother’s eyes, curling with the dancing breeze – he felt admiration.

Night and Day, his mother, Vana's voice filled his head, Two faces of a coin, those two.

She didn't just mean just their physical features, of course, but their personalities as well. It was no wonder that people were surprised at their relationship. He chuckled softly at the thought.

 

Baekhyun, who was chattering non-stop about how he had single-handedly done all the morning chores, grew quiet as he heard his brother beside him.

“What?” he asked.

Jongin shook his head, a vivid smirk on his lips.

 

They could see their town now, tiny roofs sprawled over the sea of golden grass that surrounded its stoic walls. Manoa, the only home they’ve ever known, was well-hidden – protected by the Black Mountains that embraced the north edge of the town.

Jongin traced the shadowy figures in his mind. The two of them had explored every bit of Manoa as soon as their mother allowed them to be on their own, but crossing the mountains was another thing.

 

"Do you ever wonder what's out there?" he thought out loud.

Baekhyun stared at what Jongin was pointing at.

"Not really. I hear enough stories from the traders to know."

"Seriously?" Jongin scoffed "You believe those ridiculous stories?"

"They’re real you know. All myths begin with some truth."

Jongin rolled his eyes at his brother’s naivety. “Yea, I’m sure there are invisible walls that trap you in the forest and bloodthirsty creatures that hunt for the King. Oooh, I’m so scared.”

“No need to be sarcastic,” Baekhyun frowned, “and don’t talk about that man. As far as I know, the Red King can go to - !”

“Shush!!!”

They were within the town gates now, and Jongin noticed one of the soldiers staring grimly in their direction. So before his brother could say another word, he swiftly grabbed his arm, dragging him towards their home.

 

 

By the time they reached the house, Baekhyun was panting like crazy, exhausted by the sudden burst of energy. He had never been the athletic one in the family.

"What...the...?!" Baekhyun yelled in between breaths "Why'd...we....run?"

"The guards could've heard you, idiot" Jongin muttered as he watched his brother's eyes widen in fear.

"You think they did?" Baekhyun was panicking now. It would mean trouble if they were to be reported.

But, before Jongin could reassure his brother, the front door burst open, revealing a middle-aged plump woman with her hands on her hips and a deathly stare.

 

"NOW, WHERE IN HEAVEN'S NAME HAVE YOU BEEN JONGIN!!!"

 

"uh….he was practicing" Baekhyun quickly made up an excuse, nudging his brother

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter