Patience Is Not A Virtue

Boy Next Door

At 9:30pm Jeonghan reaches his apartment after 10:04’s closing up took longer than usual. He walks down Pledis’ hallway, pausing at 116. He thinks about knocking, and even goes as far as to raise a hand before lowering it defeated.

It’s too late, Jeonghan tells himself, he’s probably sleeping. And this is the excuse Jeonghan makes himself believe, despite being able to faintly hear the strumming of strings through the door.

Jeonghan lets himself into his apartment and remembers what Seungkwan had said about asking Jisoo on a date. 

“Fine,” he mutters under his breath, addressing the not present Seungkwan.

Jeonghan grabs a pen and post it note and leaves the apartment again. His excuse of it being too late may still be withstanding, but Jeonghan decides that a phone number can’t hurt. And standing at the door of 116 he makes a silent deal with himself; that if Jisoo texts him within 12 hours then he will follow Seungkwan’s advice and ask him out on an actual date.

Just then he hears movement inside the apartment and jumps, quickly scrawling his phone number on the post it note and sticking it to the door…he doesn’t need to be caught standing at Jisoo’s door again.

 

2 hours since he left his number. No text.
Of course, Jeonghan didn’t even think about the fact that Jisoo could very well be sleeping for these next 12 hours. But he made a deal with himself, and he isn’t the sort of person to back out of a deal; even one that he made with himself.

Despite his thoughts racing wildly through his head, Jeonghan still manages to fall asleep relatively quickly. And thankfully he didn’t dream; his mind was at least free from Hong Jisoo for the moment.

He wakes at his usual time of 6:30am; Jeonghan supposes he could class himself as a morning person. While most didn’t like mornings Jeonghan thought there was something peaceful about the silence and the hushed noise. He loves pacing to his kitchen in his baggy pyjama pants to make his morning coffee; the tiles cold against his feet and his breath frosty in the air.

This morning, Jeonghan almost makes it all the way to the kitchen, his eyes and mind still cloudy from sleep before he remembers; last night, 10:04, Jisoo. The phone number left on a post it note on the door of 116.

Jeonghan looks around for a couple of seconds frantically before he is able to locate his phone on his bedside table; where he left it after checking for any messages last thing before going to sleep.

He walks towards the phone, wary; as if it was a sleeping tiger and not an inanimate object. He does the maths; it’s been 9 hours. He opens his phone; no new text. His stomach sinks and he feels ridiculous because of course Jisoo would have been sleeping, and is probably still sleeping.

Jeonghan tries not to think about how there’s only 3 hours left, he also tries not the think about how he makes a little more noise than usual while making his coffee, or how he turns up the television just a little too loud; almost as if he’s trying to wake someone up.

Suddenly Jeonghan’s phone buzzes and he nearly spills his coffee reaching for it.

 

Call me ;)

 

Jeonghan can’t help but feel disappointed to see that it’s from Mingyu and not Jisoo. Jeonghan shakes his head at the stereotypical Mingyu text especially the completely unnecessary winking emoji. He sends winks for every text, no matter how inappropriate or out of place; except for his texts to Wonwoo which he ends in a stream of emoji’s that makes even the cheesiest person gag.

“For once in your life Kim Mingyu, why don’t you just call me instead of forcing me to call you?” Jeonghan asks when he hears Mingyu’s greeting over the phone.

“Ah, but this way I feel more important.”

Jeonghan just rolls his eyes and waits for Mingyu to continue, as Mingyu would not be up this early for just a casual chat.  

“So…” Mingyu starts, in that tone that means he’s about to ask for something.

“There are two things you could be wanting to ask me and I’m saying no to both.”

Mingyu laughs, “I already know about your date; Chan dropped by. Seungkwan did as well but I’m pretty sure he just wanted food.”

Jeonghan sighs, he’s going to have to teach that boy that you don’t tell Mingyu anything.

“Also…you know I could always just knock on Jisoo’s door and tell him how you-”

“Fine, I’ll cover your shift. What times?” Jeonghan unwillingly agrees, knowing that Mingyu was about to bring up the listening to Jisoo’s door situation.

“Yay! Thank you!” Mingyu says in a tone that doesn’t match his giant stature, “and you start at 7:30.”

“We owe you Jeonghan, you’re an angel,” he hears Wonwoo’s voice say over the speaker.

“Is it your anniversary or something?” Jeonghan asks, wondering why Mingyu was so desperate to get the day off.

“A year,” they answer.

“We’re going to the zoo!” Mingyu’s excitement could rival a little kid’s.

The two boys began dating shortly after Jeonghan started work at 10:04. Wonwoo was a frequent customer who Mingyu found great amusement in flirting with as Wonwoo got easily flustered. But one thing led to another and they ended up dating. Wonwoo still hadn’t admitted yet however whether he really did just love 10:04’s waffles or if the thing bringing him back was the cute and flirtatious worker.

“Well have fun,” Jeonghan says before hanging up the phone; checking to see if he had another message first before putting it back in his pocket, disappointed.

In the 15 minutes it took Jeonghan to get ready for work he had checked his phone no less than 31 times, but he wasn’t counting.

When Jeonghan finally left to walk to work he couldn’t help but linger around 116. As he was waiting for the elevator he looked back at the sticky note, the sticky note that was still there with only 2 hours to go.

Just as the elevator dings and the doors begin to open, Jeonghan quickly dashes to slide the post it note under Jisoo’s door instead. As Jeonghan leaps to make it into the elevator in time all he can do is hope that Jisoo sees the note and decides that Jeonghan is worth texting straight away.

 

 

I feel like I am dragging this out for so long I'm so sorry if there's not enough Jihan for you guys. I'm just kind of writing and seeing where the story goes tbh. But I'm planning some exciting things if I can work out how to write them in that will make this all a little more interesting hopefully !!