17 Waffles

Boy Next Door

As soon as Jeonghan walked back into his living room he was met with Seungkwan’s face; his face dominated with a smug smile.

“Boo Seungkwan, ultimate match maker,” he announces, fist pumping the air.

“Stop,” Jeonghan whines.

“Did you kiss? It went silent for a while. I was trying to see if I could hear the swapping of saliva.”

“Seungkwan, gross. It’s not like that anyway.”

“Don’t be like that, Yoon Jeonghan. Don’t lie to me,” Seungkwan crosses his arms defiantly.

Jeonghan finally let down his wall, he guessed there was no point attempting to pretend anymore.

“We didn’t kiss,” Jeonghan starts, as he watches Seungkwan’s face drop, “but he’s so sweet and funny and cute. I don’t know, I mean we could kiss in the future, maybe, hopefully.”

Seungkwan claps gleefully, his excitement like a child’s.

“You even let him explain his favourite anime to you for 15 minutes, you must really like him. God, I could almost throw up,” Seungkwan pretends to gag but Jeonghan can see the slight smile behind his feigned disgust.

Seungkwan likes to tell Jeonghan on a weekly basis about how much he hates the “abomination that is lovey dovey romance ” but he really is a hopeless romantic. Jeonghan can tell from how much he loves his mum that someone will be a very lucky person one day.

Jeonghan ignores Seungkwan as he begins to act out a violent stream of fake vomiting.

Seungkwan straightens up and says, “I can’t wait to tell-“

“Um, no,” Jeonghan interrupts, “this is not making its way around Pledis and 10:04 again.”

“But-“

“No, especially as I have no idea if this will lead anywhere.”

“Firstly, it will. Secondly, I have to tell Soonyoung! I need my $20!” Seungkwan pouts.

“But Soonyoung can’t keep secrets to save his life! There’s a reason he’s called Kwon Spoiler. Remember when he told you that your favourite character in that tv show died?”

“But otherwise you won’t get your coffee…” Seungkwan teases.

Jeonghan stares at his friend dead straight in the eyes, looking for an unspoken promise, “Only. Soonyoung.”

“But you know telling Soonyoung means telling Seokmin. They’re basically the same person.”

Jeonghan’s jaw tightens but he just lets out a sigh, “Fine, but I’m serious Seungkwan. No one else. Because I’m pretty sure he doesn’t like me anyway.”

“I’m sorry but did you not see anything that happened tonight? You both had the biggest heart eyes for each other. I almost found it cute.”

“But I still really don’t think-“

Just then the doorbell rings and Seungkwan breaks into an excited smile, “I guess we’re going to find out.”

Jeonghan looks upon his friend in confusion as Seungkwan opens the door with a flourish to reveal the snapback guy, who he now knows is called Hansol, and the other boy from the elevator.

 

“Hansol, Chan; this is Jeonghan. Jeonghan, this is Hansol and Chan,” Seungkwan says pointing to each boy in succession, “Gee see how hard it is to make friends?”

Jeonghan just shoots Seungkwan a murderous look and says his hellos.

“You served me at 10:04 the other day,” the boy named Chan says. He’s the shortest out of the four boys but he looks like a constant ball of energy, even now lightly bouncing on his feet like he can’t stay still, “17 waffles.”

“Ah, I thought you looked familiar.”

Seungkwan claps his hands, “so now that’s out the way, spill the goss.”

“We did what you said and dropped by as soon as they finished their date,” Hansol starts.

“Not a date,” Jeonghan corrects him, “and you told them to do what?” He asks turning towards his best friend.

Seungkwan makes a hand motion for Jeonghan to shut up as Hansol continues, “we got him talking about the date…”

“Yes?” Seungkwan says in anticipation.

“And…”

He talks slowly, drawing out the suspense, looking quite proud of the reactions he was gaging and Jeonghan just wanted to shake him. Thankfully he was obviously not the only one feeling impatient as Chan quickly takes over.

“He said he had a lot of fun, and that you were both really cool! And-” Chan’s energy is infectious.

“Of course, he thought I was cool,” Seungkwan butts in, as Jeonghan shushes him, waiting for Chan to finish.

“He was asking a lot of questions about Jeonghan, and when I asked him if there was something going on he just smiled and shrugged so…HE LIKES YOU!”

As soon as Chan finished his sentence both him and Seungkwan exploded into chaos while Jeonghan and Hansol just looked at each other like they couldn’t believe that those were their friends.

“I’m sorry to break it to you guys but that doesn’t mean he likes me,” Jeonghan says. Trying to be realistic and not to pay attention to his stomach doing somersaults or his heart beating faster than usual. He can’t let himself be blinded by a could-be. 

Seungkwan and Chan both break into a chorus of “don’t be silly” and “of course he does.”

Jeonghan looks towards Hansol, who seemed to be the only sane person apart from him left in this apartment.

“Yes, a smile and shrug doesn’t mean he likes you…but if it helps I really think he does. I mean he was asking about directions to 10:04.”

Jeonghan’s eyes widen at that. Maybe Jisoo could like him? And the fact that he was already asking about 10:04? Jeonghan can’t help but wonder if Jisoo already wants to see him again.

“So we invited him to come with us when we go tomorrow night! You’re working right Jeonghan?” Chan asks.

“Yes he is,” Seungkwan answers for him.

“Awesome,” Chan says, once again smiling widely, “oh, and then you can properly meet Junhui and Minghao if they don’t come around tonight!”

“Huh?” Jeonghan asks, looking in Seungkwan’s direction, eyebrow raised.

“We’re having a Mario Kart night, none of us have school or work early in the morning so,” Seungkwan shrugs and plops himself on the couch.

Jeonghan is surprised as while Seungkwan is always a fan of complaining about Jeonghan’s lack of friends, he’s never been so forthright in forcing him to socialise before.

But Jeonghan doesn’t argue as there can’t be any harm in this. It’s not like he doesn’t want friends; he just never ends up with many. Jeonghan was the kind of person who was friendly with many but close friends with few. So he sits down on the floor in front of Seungkwan, letting the other two boys fight it out for the last couch seat.

“Well, if Minghao and Junhui are coming…” Seungkwan gets up from the couch and ever so slowly starts walking towards the direction of the door, “that’s basically our whole floor so we might as well invite Jisoo back…”

“I don’t think so,” Jeonghan says getting up and grabbing Seungkwan by the shirt so that he can’t try and make any sudden dashes towards 116.

“Just don’t let the other two in if they don’t have food,” Hansol calls from the couch where him and Chan were already in the middle of setting up the tv, making themselves at home.

Jeonghan walks back to the couch, his eyes ever so closely monitoring Seungkwan, not allowing himself to look away until both of them were comfortably seated in their prior spots.

After a small argument over who got to be Mario (Seungkwan); the four boys began to play. For a lot of the games Jeonghan didn’t even play, preferring instead to sit back and watch the others.

Seungkwan played in a style very much like his personality; over the top and feisty which led to a string of very imaginative insults being hurled towards Hansol after he knocked Seungkwan’s car over the side of Rainbow Road.

Dino played like an overexcited puppy; his whole body moving with the controller and his innocent “Oh no!’s balanced out Seungkwan’s curse words.

Hansol played just how he talked and just how he looked; casual in that way that makes everything you do look as if you aren’t trying, he leans back only looking like he is ever so slightly tilting the wheel yet somehow winning every race.

When the doorbell rang, it was Jeonghan who volunteered to go get it as he was still only a bystander to the intense game of Mario Kart raging on.

Jeonghan opened the door to two boys he assumed must be Junhui and Minghao.

“Hey, I’m Junhui,” the boy with straight brown hair slightly slicked back smiles, “we live in apartment 117, and we come with lots of food.”

“I’m Minghao,” says the other taller boy, with a mop of curly blonde hair as he raises his hand in a shy wave.

The three of them walk inside the apartment to be met with three other boys and their hungry gazes turned straight towards them; the game forgotten for now.

“Waffles?” Chan asks.

“Do you even need to ask,” Hansol answers before Junhui had even taken the food out of the bag. However, when he did remove the food, it was indeed waffles; from 10:04.

Jeonghan helps Junhui out, going to get plates for them all.

“17 waffles?” Jeonghan can’t help but notice, “this is the same as your order the other day?”

“It’s kind of a ritual,” Chan explains, “it took us 17 days to become friends.”

“Chan it sounds so lame when you say it like that. Let me explain,” Hansol says.

“When we moved into Pledis, these two over here,” he says pointing towards Minghao and Jun, “played their music really really loud. And so in turn, we played music really really loud back at them.”

“Basically to sum it all up, we had a seventeen-day music battle; Hansol was playing his mixtapes, Chan was playing Michael Jackson, and at one point we purposely got Minghao to bboy in their doorway so they couldn’t leave.” Junhui continues, the four boys all laughing at the memories.

“And then we decided that they were actually pretty cool and decided to make a pact. We still occasionally have music battles though; we’ve had one with 112 before,” Hansol shrugs.

Jeonghan laughs and shakes his head in amazement.

“Wait?” he then says, “why have I never heard one of these music battles before?”

“We usually have them when you’re at work, especially as we thought you would get annoyed with the music,” Minghao says.

Seungkwan then says in a mock whisper, “they thought you were intimidating.”

“We didn’t use those words,” Chan says defensively.

“No wonder I have no friends,” Jeonghan says, sighing at the idea that people he’s never even talked to think he’s intimidating.

“Well, they aren’t running at the sight of you now are they?” Seungkwan pats Jeonghan on the back encouragingly.

“Oh man, these waffles are good,” Hansol sighs, picking up another waffle even though he hadn’t even finished the one on his plate, “who served you?”

“The usual,” Junhui answers.

“Scoooopsss,” Hansol says with a mouthful of waffle.

Jeonghan just looks at him confused, he knows everyone who works at 10:04, and he doesn’t know a Scoops.

“Seungcheol, I think?” Minghao says questionably.

“Why do you call him Scoops?” Seungkwan asks curiously.

“He always gives us extra ice-cream,” Chan says gleefully.

As the six boys polish off all 17 waffles, they talk about everything and anything and Jeonghan finds himself wondering why he didn’t bother to introduce himself to them earlier.

Finally, they say their goodbyes and the four boys leave 116 yawning and laughing. Jeonghan means to thank Seungkwan for introducing him to who he hopes he can call new friends, but Seungkwan immediately passes out on his couch before he can say a word.

Jeonghan fetches a blanket to place over his sleeping friend before getting into his own bed. He lays there for a while, replaying all the events of the day over and over in his head, and falls asleep with a faint smile on his face.

  
 

Another friendship chapter and it was kinda long...but I promise the next two are going to be Jihan chapters!! I hope you enjoyed seeing more of the other boys :) 
And nearly 100 people have subscribed okay and that's like mental because tbh I didn't think anyone would want to read this it was just something I started to procrastinate study. So thanks again!! (I know I say this a lot but i mean it and I appreciate your comments)