Coffee and Cupid

Boy Next Door

On the fourth day, Jeonghan runs out from his apartment to the sound of the elevator to see two boys standing there; the boy who caught him listening to 116’s door and another, who looks slightly familiar.

Jeonghan is about to turn and go back into his apartment but the boy, not wearing a hat this time but a bandana, clears his throat and gives Jeonghan an amused smirk when they meet eyes.

“He checks his mail when you’re at work by the way.”

Jeonghan is startled, “What?”

“The boy.”

Jeonghan just stares at him in astonishment.

The stranger shrugs, “Mingyu,” he says as a way of explanation.

“Wait, you know Mingyu?” Jeonghan was aware that Mingyu knew everything that went on in Pledis, but he didn’t realise that he was close enough to all the residents to have in-depth conversations about Jeonghan and his ‘supposed love life’.

“Yeah,” the guy answers bluntly. Jeonghan can’t help but shake his head at how expressive this guy is with his words.

“His name’s Jisoo by the way,” the other boy joins the conversation now, his smile eager and friendly, “he’s really nice!”

“Uh,” Jeonghan is quite speechless at this stage. He wasn’t sure how either Mingyu or these boys seemed to know about his plan.

Just then the elevator dinged and the doors opened. The two boys stepped inside, the first boy still with his amused smirk and the other adding to his smile with a friendly wave goodbye.

 

Jeonghan’s phone rings, and blasting from his pocket comes, “Yo! I am the best quality! Pick up the phone!” The ringtone that Seungkwan specially recorded so Jeonghan would always know that it was his best friend calling and wouldn’t ignore it.

“What do you want?” Jeonghan asks into the phone. His and Seungkwan’s friendship was close enough that answering with a normal greeting seemed ridiculous.

“Could you sound anymore excited to hear from your bestest friend in the entire world?” Seungkwan answers, sarcastic as usual.

Seungkwan doesn’t even let Jeonghan attempt to answer with a comeback of his own before continuing, “I’m coming over, I bear gifts. Actually I’m already at the doors, come buzz me in.”

Jeonghan sighs but begins to make his way down to the ground floor. Seungkwan turning up at all hours of the day without warning isn’t new, but Seungkwan turning up with gifts is something new, and extremely out of character.

When Seungkwan finally comes into Jeonghan’s view, he holds up a greasy paper bag and a drink holder containing two coffees with a triumphant smile.

“Wait. Boo Seungkwan has willingly brought food for someone else?” Jeonghan overdramatises his shock, raising a hand to his chest.

“Shut up, this is a gift to thank you for always covering my shifts,” Seungkwan pauses for a moment because admitting, “well the food is from my mum…but the coffee is on me.”

Jeonghan takes the drinks from Seungkwan’s hands before disaster strikes. He may work as a waiter at 10:04 but he still manages to be incredibly accident prone.

“Tell Mama Boo I appreciate it,” Jeonghan says with a smirk.

“Are you kidding me!? I brought coffee! With my own money! Plus, I could have just eaten the food by myself; that’s what I normally do when she makes things for you.”

Seungkwan realises his mistake right away, “I mean…no I don’t…”

Jeonghan shoots Seungkwan a faux angry glare before he laughs and shakes his head at his ridiculous friend, “do you ever pay for food? If you’re not at mine or at 10:04, you’re eating your mum’s food? Why don’t you go hang around Soonyoung and Seokmin’s place? You realise they are actual chefs right?”

“I do. On Sundays we have roasts,” he shrugs with a shrug.

“I can’t believe you.” Jeonghan is still shaking his head as he finally reaches and opens his front door.

He walks inside and looks behind him to see that Seungkwan hasn’t followed.

“What are you doing?” Jeonghan asks, popping his head outside the door to see Seungkwan standing in front of 116.

“We have a lot of food. Let’s invite him!” Seungkwan raises a hand to knock.

“No! No! No!” Jeonghan hisses pulling Seungkwan into his own apartment and out of reach of 116, shushing him when he begins to loudly protest.

“But you’re normally so confident around crushes; you’re losing your touch. You know your hair can only get you so far. Plus I could totally be your cupid; I’m cute enough for it,” Seungkwan says, finishing with his hands framing his face in an attempt to be cute.

“I don’t like him, I just want to know who lived there before him,” Jeonghan huffs.

“So now would be the perfect opportunity…” Seungkwan leaves the rest of the sentence hanging, knowing that Jeonghan would understand perfectly.

“But…I can’t…” Jeonghan trails off, unable to come up with a legitimate sounding excuse.

“You do! You do like him!” Seungkwan is bouncing up and down like a child who has just been told Christmas has come early.

“I don’t! I’ve told you I don’t!” Jeonghan shouts defensively, but he can hear his voice rise in pitch and the slight doubt that coats his words.

Jeonghan sighs, “I can’t like him okay?! I don’t know anything about him! But fine, he’s a little bit cute.”

Jeonghan lets his hair fall in front of his face, covering his blush as Seungkwan jumps up and down as he shouts a victorious “AHA!”

Seungkwan then continued to begin a very strange victory dance.

Jeonghan is staring in shock, both at what he willingly admitted to Seungkwan and Seungkwan’s reaction, even though by now Jeonghan is used to his friend’s over the top reactions.

“Soonyoung owes me $20!!!”

“Wait, you betted on me?!”

“Maybe…?” Jeonghan saw Seungkwan’s eyes light up with panic as he stepped out of Jeonghan’s reach.

“Seungkwan!”

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry! I’ll buy you another coffee!”

“You’re $20 richer now, you can at least afford to buy me two.” Jeonghan takes the bag from Seungkwan who ever so slightly flinches as if he’s scared Jeonghan will hit him, despite the fact that he’s never hit anyone, and takes it into the kitchen to unpack.

Jeonghan is glad to get out of that room at least for a second so he can breathe and recollect his thoughts.

Seungkwan was right, he’s never been jittery and jumpy around cute people before, it doesn’t make sense why he’s acting this way and it’s not like him at all. But Jeonghan just ends up blaming the staff at 10:04, especially Mingyu and even the two elevator guys for blowing this completely out of the water and making him view it as a bigger deal than it was, is and ever will be.

“Also, I’m not letting you eat on my couch again, I haven’t been able to get the stain off. I don’t care if it –“ Jeonghan stops midsentence as he walks out of the kitchen to directly make eye contact with his neighbour, the guy from 116, the guy whose name is apparently Jisoo. Jeonghan’s eyes quickly flit to meet Seungkwan’s gaze who is sitting at the table with an evil smirk and a malicious glint in his eyes. Jeonghan shoots Seungkwan a murderous glance but all Seungkwan does is slowly raise one eyebrow, his smirk spreading.

Jisoo looks between the two boys in puzzlement but smiles, his eyes crinkling when he meets Jeonghan’s gaze again.

 “Hey, I’m Hong Jisoo. I didn’t get to introduce myself when we met the other day,” the boy says raising a shy wave of acknowledgement.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Yoon Jeonghan,” he replies with an equally shy smile and a slight flutter in his chest.

 

So my uploading is all over the place at the moment because I have a lot of chapters already written that just need some editing and so I've just been wanting to upload them really quick. In the future my uploading probably won't be as frequent but I will try even if I do have a lot of exams coming up.
I'm sorry if so far there hasn't been enough Jihan interactiosn for you guys but I also really really love just writing Seventeen friendships and I hope you can enjoy them too. (This was a lot of rambling forgive me but thank you so much to anyone who has read and subscribed!)