Chapter 9: Off Limits

Safe & Sound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Waiting was hard.

Kyuhyun never knew it could but it was.

He waited for the sun to set, he waited for the days to pass. He held his phone close to him waiting and hoping for a phone call that never came. His emotions were everywhere, his imagination driving him insane with each passing moment. Kyuhyun wanted to know how Ryeowook was doing at school alone. He wanted to know. Was his old roommate doing well on his own? Did any vampire get to know about his secret? Was he even alive and human?

Kyuhyun knew he would regret it, leaving Ryeowook at the school. He knew he would but damn his ego! He wanted to prove to himself that Sungmin mattered more than anyone, especially more than Ryeowook ever would. But the holidays just proved otherwise. Kyuhyun’s mind was filled with Ryeowook, everything about Ryeowook and soon Kyuhyun had to admit that… That he cared for the boy, he cared for him more than he should.

Sungmin mixed well, he really did. Kyuhyun’s parents liked him and enjoyed having him staying over. But that was it. He could see it in their eyes especially in his mother’s that she wished it was Ryeowook instead. They couldn’t talk about Ryeowook with having Sungmin around the house but Kyuhyun knew, he knew that his parents were just as worried as he was about the human’s wellbeing. Sungmin was trying too hard though, Kyuhyun could tell. He pretended to be chirpy and always tried to come up with a topic to talk about with his parents. Sometimes, it was cute. Other times, it was cringe worthy.

But something changed over the holiday. His feelings towards Sungmin changed drastically, he didn’t know why. Kyuhyun felt like his feelings towards Sungmin was forced now and there was a weird feeling that Sungmin felt the same towards him too. They avoided talking about anything too personal and Sungmin’s eyes were always far away, distant and confused. Whenever they made love, there was an awkward silence accompanied right after and while Kyuhyun lay by Sungmin’s side, the images of Sungmin cheating with another guy would pop up into his mind. He hated it but he found that as time passed, it didn’t bother him like how it used to. Kyuhyun didn’t know why, didn’t know if he should feel bothered about it.

But it didn’t matter now. Because,

Finally after a month, the wait was over.

He was back in school. Back to Ryeowook.

Not wanting to make it suspicious, Kyuhyun lingered around his shared dorm with Sungmin, unpacking. Sungmin chatted excitedly about the new intakes of students and how he was looking forward to seeing who would be invited to Cube this year by Yunho.

“Isn’t it the same for every year?” Kyuhyun asked, curious.

“No, he only invites thirty of the best looking ones.” Sungmin explained, “He’d remove some people on the list if he found better looking vampires.”

“So we’re not confirmed invited?”

“No, until we get the invitation from him just like last year. Have you received anything?”

Kyuhyun shook his head, “No, but I’m sure I’ll get it soon.”

“Full of confidence, I see.” Sungmin giggled and then shrugged, “We are the best looking couple in this school anyway, I don’t see why Yunho would throw us off his list.”

“What happens to those who gets thrown off the list?”

Sungmin thought for some time before shrugging his shoulders, “They just go back to being a zero, a loser.”

“What do you mean?”

 “Everyone who isn’t invited to Cube are losers.” Sungmin chuckled and then yawned and stretched, “I think I would die out of embarrassment if I was uninvited. Imagine what people would say!”

Kyuhyun distracted himself, refolding his shirt and pants as he stacked them in the drawers. Sungmin was still talking in the background but Kyuhyun heard nothing, his attention already far far away from the conversation. He wanted to go check on Ryeowook and he needed to come up with an excuse to get out of the room. It was lunch time now, Ryeowook would probably be in the cafeteria. But Kyuhyun and Sungmin had a huge breakfast with his parents earlier, he wasn’t feeling hungry. But apparently his boyfriend was.

“I’m starving!” Sungmin whined, pouting. “Kyuhyunie, let’s go get some food shall we?”

Kyuhyun nodded a little too quickly, “I was just about to say that!”

Slamming the closet shut, Kyuhyun eagerly stood up and took his boyfriend’s hands and rushed out towards the cafeteria. It may seemed a bit silly but honestly, Kyuhyun couldn’t care less right now. Sungmin giggled next to him, probably finding all of this funny and cute that he was starving despite eating so much. When they arrived outside the cafeteria, Kyuhyun slowed to a stop grinning at the familiar faces who were waiting outside for him.

“What up, Cho Kyu? It’s been a long time hasn’t it?” Kangin greeted him.

“Sweetheart, you might want to brace yourself before you go in there.” Heechul suddenly said to Sungmin, snickering and then looked at Kyuhyun. “You should get ready to catch him when he faints.”

Sungmin’s face fell, “Wh-what are you guys talking about?”

Heechul only smirked, gesturing for the both of them to enter the cafeteria. Sungmin and Kyuhyun looked at each other, puzzled. Shrugging and just wanting to get on with it, Kyuhyun pulled Sungmin in. Inside, the cafeteria was the same as it used to be except there was a group of students gathering at the side of the cafeteria. Kyuhyun wondered what it was about as he dragged Sungmin along curiously. As they neared closer, Kyuhyun pushed past the students, his eyes scanning around the crowd and the hall for any sign of Ryeowook. Ryeowook wasn’t in the cafeteria, he couldn’t spot him and he couldn’t pick up his lavender scent.

“Oh my god,”

Kyuhyun heard Sungmin whispering next to him. He stopped looking around the cafeteria, his attention shifted to the cafeteria wall in front of him. On the wall, there were words written in blood. Kyuhyun stiffened and then relaxed when he realized that this was only the smell of animal blood. Kyuhyun read through the maroon blood on the wall.

Jung Yunho’s The Cube Invites:

1.Kim Heechul

2.Cho Kyuhyun

3.Kangin

The list went on with some familiar and unfamiliar names. He wasn’t surprised that he had made it with Heechul and Kangin, they were pretty damned handsome you had to admit. Kyuhyun read through them wondering why his boyfriend’s name wasn’t appearing and when he read the last two names on the list, his blood ran cold.

      29. Kim Ryeowook

      30. Lee Donghae

Right at that moment, his nose picked up on the strong familiar scent of lavender along with a strange almost too powerful musky scent of a vampire. Their scents were mixed together and the crowd of vampires turned around, their eyes on the doors of the cafeteria. Kyuhyun’s eyes widened, his jaws wide open as he stared at the men that had just entered.

Oh god, oh . 

It was Ryeowook.

But it wasn’t like him at all. Ryeowook looked different, too different. He wasn’t the chubby fat ugly fat anymore, no he was far from that. Instead of his dark messy hair, Ryeowook’s hair was a light shade of brown and it was kept neatly swept aside on his forehead covering one of his eyebrows. He lost weight, too much weight that Ryeowook was almost only skin and bones now. His cheekbones were so high, his cheeks dipping with a slight shadow that accentuated his sharp nose, jaws and lips. Ryeowook’s skin was glowing bronze. But Ryeowook’s transformation wasn’t the reason for Kyuhyun’s blood running cold. Next to Ryeowook, was him.

Lee Donghae.

His lips were in a smirk, his eyes blazing with overconfidence and evil. Ryeowook hugged his arm as they made their way into the cafeteria, giggling about something and when Donghae kissed the top of Ryeowook’s head, Kyuhyun saw red. Raging, Kyuhyun flew across the crowded students and right in front of them. The hall was quiet, everyone watching them in suspense. When Ryeowook’s eyes met Kyuhyun, his smile dropped as he shifted uncomfortably. Kyuhyun growled, unable to hold in his anger any longer. He reached for Donghae’s collars and lifted him up.

“You.” Kyuhyun snarled, face turning red with anger. “What are you doing here?”

“Cho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter