Chapter 15: A Deal With A Demon

Safe & Sound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A flash of lightning,

And then another.

Henry’s eyes gleamed intensely, glaring at the vampire opposite of him. As the lightning above them flashed, Henry caught the smirk tugging on the vampire’s lips and oh, how much he wanted to so much get rid of it. A promise, a promise was never meant to be made with a dark prince. Henry knew that, he knew what the dark princes were like but why… Just why did he so desperately clung to the silver piece of hope that maybe this dark prince was different from the others. In reality, they were all the same.

“You’re making a huge mistake,” Henry hissed, clenching his fist. “You don’t know who you’re messing with, Donghae.”

 “A half-demon like you,” Donghae snorted lowly, “Is nothing of my concern. You go around with your demon charms and infiltrate dreams. You’re nothing compared to what I am.”

Donghae shook his head in amusement, leaning against a wall. He crossed his arms, eyes boring into the half-demon that was kneeling on the floor. He was panting, breathing hard as he clutched onto the ground, blood dripping drop by drop from his body onto the cold ground.

“Why did you do it?” Henry questioned in a pained voice, “What are you using me for if you have no intention of bringing them all back to life?”

“Distraction,” Donghae shrugged, “Because sometimes, a deal with a demon is better than no deal at all. I bet you would know all about dealing with demons, wouldn’t you? Haven’t you been doing that all this time, trying to bring your lover back to life?”

“You see, I couldn’t care less if my brothers came back.” Donghae uncrossed his arms, walking towards Henry. “I couldn’t care less if this world crumbled to ashes.”

“One thousand and five hundred years,” Donghae whispered, voice thick with emotions. “I’ve been alive for too long now, searching for something, yearning for someone that could match my soul and feelings, someone that could connect with me like no other could. You could live for a million years, you could be the most powerful vampire on this earth but you’d still be missing something, you’d still be searching for someone who makes life comes to life.”

“Dark Princes soulmates…. They’re almost impossible to come by, they really are. You could travel the world in a million years, walk amongst thousands of people on the streets and have with hundreds of men and women throughout your whole lifetime and you’d still end up alone in the end. Because for us, the dark prince’s true love is found not built.”

“I haven’t been lucky, I couldn’t find anyone that could meet my heart, that could touch my soul. The more I searched, the longer it became and five years became fifty, fifty years became a hundred and it got so long that I was wondering if I’d ever find anyone that could make me live, that could bring a meaning to life. I was lonely, I was desperate. But one day, a few hundred years ago when the war against the dark princes broke out, I found you.”

Donghae’s eyes looked as if they were on fire as he stared into Henry’s eyes, kneeling down and cupping his face. “Only thing was… While I was falling for you, you were falling for my brother. You were in love with Zhou Mi.”

“I lied, Henry.” Donghae smirked as he continued, “I told you that I’d help keep Zhou MI alive, I’d fight off anyone that dared came near him. But I didn’t. Zhou Mi wasn’t killed by the soldiers in the war. He was killed by me.”

 “You were the one.” Henry’s teary eyes widened, “You killed your own brother!”

“I had no other choice!” Donghae growled, his fingers pressing onto Henry’s lean neck. “He was going to kill you!”

“He would never!” Henry cried, trying to pry of the fingers that were almost choking him. “He was turning me so that we could combine our souls! He wanted me to be safe with him!”

“We were in war! He was going to kill you to regain all the power that he’d lost!” When Henry started to choke, Donghae released him with a rough shove. He stood up and stepped back, eyes filled with the dark memories from what had happened between them a hundred years ago. Those memories … They were raw and real and they would forever be.

“It was too late then. When I killed him, you were already half-turned.” Donghae quietly whispered, “I couldn’t love you anymore, you were not human. You couldn’t be my soulmate even if I wanted you to. It just wouldn’t work out.”

“I’ve been yearning for something so special for too long, I had to do something. My loneliness was going to eat me alive, I couldn’t do anything anymore. And then I found Ryeowook and nothing mattered anymore because I knew I found him. I finally found someone who could meet my soul, who I could finally connect to. But of course… There just had to be someone else, there always is.”

“But I made a promise to myself that I wouldn’t let go off my soulmate once I found him the next time, that I wouldn’t waste my time and quickly changed him as soon as I could. I made the mistake once and I lost you.” Donghae spoke quietly, “I asked for your help for revenge. I wanted you to suffer just like how I had, I wanted you to break apart.”

“Zhou Mi died in front of my eyes, Kyuhyun!” Henry sobbed, “Wasn’t that enough for me?”

Donghae chuckled, shaking his head. “No, that is never enough for a dark prince.”

“But consider yourse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter