Chapter 13: Grand Canyon

Safe & Sound
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyuhyun’s announcement that he was leaving dropped like a bomb on Sungmin.

The vampire stared at Kyuhyun with wide pleading eyes. The school had just made an announcement that all students were to return to their own dorms for the time being after finding a mass load of dead students in the school hall. And weirdly, they were all elves.

“What do you mean, you’re leaving?” Sungmin asked, bewildered.

“I’m leaving.” Kyuhyun repeated more urgently this time.

Sungmin’s face paled. “You can’t leave. It’s too dangerous out there.”

 “I have to.” Kyuhyun nodded, looking at Sungmin apolitically. “And I’m… I’m sorry, Min but I’m breaking up with you.”

 “Wh-What?”

The stacks of books Sungmin had been holding onto dropped onto the floor as hurt flashed through the older boy’s eyes. Kyuhyun wanted to hold Sungmin’s trembling hands but he decided against it, not wanting to hurt his roommate even more. He felt bad but it had to be done.

“I’m sorry, Sungmin.” Kyuhyun apologized. “But… My feelings for you… I care for you. I really do. But… Our relationship… From the very beginning, we lusted more than we loved. We were always sleeping around and after some time, it became… routine. You felt it too, didn’t you?”

Sungmin refused to respond while Kyuhyun continued. “I made a mistake. I went after you because I fell for your looks, I mean… Who wouldn’t right? You’re… Sungmin. As I got to know you, you’re smart, you’re kind and you’re funny. But as hard as I try to convince myself that you’re all I’ll ever need and want, at the end of the day, you’re not the person who I want to be with. There’s still something missing, something… raw and… right.”

“Is this… be-because I cheated on you?” Sungmin asked, voice cracking as a tear slid down his cheeks.

“God, no.” Kyuhyun shook his head. “I… I won’t use that against you. I was the reason you cheated, I neglected you. I realize that now and I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Sungmin. I didn’t mean to push you away.”

Noticing that there wasn’t enough time, Kyuhyun glanced down at his roommate who was now sobbing. Kyuhyun never thought it would but his heart clenched at seeing Sungmin, the person who was usually so bright and strong, crying right in front of him. Even if they were breaking up, Kyuhyun had some good memories of Sungmin and the boy had become somewhat a friend to him along the way.

Kyuhyun had to leave before things got worst. Seeing Sungmin like that was enough for his weak heart right about now. He quickly slung his bag over his shoulder and looked down at his wrist watch. He had to sneak out to meet Henry at the back of the school entrance in about five minutes without getting caught by the guards patrolling the hallways. With a final apologizing look, Kyuhyun squeezed Sungmin’s shoulders. Maybe before Kangin’s death, before he realized his love for Ryeowook, Kyuhyun could have just walked away without feeling sorry for the heartbreak he had caused. But now… He viewed things different, especially another person’s feelings. Feelings, he learnt, was not to be taken lightly.

“Minnie,” Kyuhyun softly whispered. “If I could take the pain away, I would. I’m sorry, I really am.”

Kyuhyun knew a sorry wouldn’t heal a broken heart but he was genuine, he meant every word he said. But there was no time to prove it to Sungmin right now. He had to leave. Kyuhyun willed himself to turn the doorknob and walk out of the room without looking back, squeezing his eyes shut as he heard Sungmin calling after him, sobbing his heart out.

***

“PLEASE, PLEASE DON’T KILL ME!”

Henry shook his head uncertainly but the look he was giving him told Kyuhyun that they had no choice anyway. They needed a transportation, they needed a way to get to the different places fast. This was one of the only crazy idea Henry suggested that sounded… a little sane. At least this was better than Henry suggesting that idea that both of them sprint to the different countries. Yes, they were vampires and they were fast and although it sounded impossible, it was possible but running from country to another would take them a lifetime to get to their destinations.

Henry and Kyuhyun had both managed to sneak off school grounds and hitchhiked a ride to Seoul. Okay maybe not hitchhike… Kyuhyun knocked out a poor old man that was passing by them on the expressway and while they discussed what they were going to do and how they were going to get to their destinations = since the car was old and sounded like it was dying and would likely not survive going through different countries in that condition- Henry suggested that they go to the airport. But, it was too time consuming to wait for flight times and not all of the countries they had to go to had a direct flight there anyway.  

So Henry suggested borrowing an airplane or a jet. Kyuhyun bit his lips as he drove straight with no direction in mind, trying to think of a better and saner idea when Henry urged him that it was the only transportation that would be fast and convenient enough for both of them.

“Do you… Do you fly planes?” Kyuhyun asked, afraid of the answer.

Henry scoffed. “No, but I play GTA.”

“Grand theft auto?” Kyuhyun shrieked, panicked at just the mere thought of letting Henry handle flying a plane. “You can’t be serious.”

The kid frowned and Kyuhyun shook his head, biting his lips as he thought of something. “Where’s the nearest air base here?”

Henry pulled out his phone from his pocket and started tpying away, searching for it online since it was much easier. “Seoul. But we’re going the wrong way.”

Kyuhyun made a sharp u-turn immediately, the car tyres screeching against the road as he stepped onto the pedal, driving as fast as he can while Henry typed in the address of the air base on the GPS. Thank god, at least despite being an old car, the GPS was at least working.

“You’re letting me fly a plane?” Henry asked, clapping his hands.

“No,” Kyuhyun snapped and then swallowed a guilty lump down his throat. “But we’re going to borrow a pilot.”

That was how both Kyuhyun and Henry ended up in Seoul Air Base’s underground hangar surrounded by lifeless bodies of the military air force pilots. Kyuhyun wiped his lips, the sweet human blood tingling on his tongue and through his body. It had been a long time since he had any appetite or tasted anything as savoury as human blood.

“Let’s compromise then.” Henry smirked, his eyes glued to the trembling air force pilot who was now on his knees, begging for his life. 

The pilot nodded his head fast, cheeks stained with tear. “Please, please… I’ll do anything, anything.”

Kyuhyun smirked, taking out a piece of paper and handing it to the pilot. “These are the places we need to go.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter