Fever

Doctor Jung

Chohee awakened from her sleep then started coughing. She glanced at her clock, it was still 2 AM. There was still plenty time to continue her sleep. But thanks to the cold weather she kept on waking up to rub her cold body.  She touched her forehead and it felt a bit warm. She took socks, earmuff, and jacket from her closet to warm herself. She thought she would die because of cold in this rate. She decided to make a warm milk before continue her sleep.

She shocked when she saw Taekwoon sat on the couch wide awake. She almost forgot that Taekwoon was still here. He was the one who stole her one and only blanket anyway. He looked lost in his own thought, he didn’t even sense her presence.

“ Feeling better? ”.

“ Chohee-sshi…. It’s still hurt but much better than before. I’m sorry you must feel uncomfortable with my presence ”.

“ No it’s fine doc ”.

“ Are you going somewhere? ”.

Taekwoon pointed out her earmuff, jacket and so on. Taekwoon was right, she looked like ready to go somewhere.

“ It’s just the weather is really cold ”.

“ Why don’t you turn on the heather? ”.

“ It just cheap apartment, there is no heather ”.

“ What about blanket? ”.

Chohee just stared at her blanket that wrapped around Taekwoon. Taekwoon followed her gaze at her fluffy-pink blanket that rounded around him tightly and it hit him.

“ I’m sorry, you should just use the blanket for yourself ”.

“ How can I, you looked unwell. Beside I feel better already with these ” she said while pointing everything she wore to block the cold.

“ Thanks ” he mumbled.

“ I will make warm milk, do you want too? ”.

“ Yes please ”.

As Chohee made them warm milk, the atmosphere became quiet again. Chohee became used with this silent after a long ride of him taking her home that night. She turned around and found Taekwoon looked lost in his mind again. She brought the warm cups to Taekwoon. The sound of her cough distracted him.

“ Thanks ” he said then took the cup.

She just nodded then sat by his side. Taekwoon unwrap the blanket to share it with Chohee. He put the other end on her lap. She mumbled thanks to him then pulled it over her chest. And there was the silent again. She glanced at Taekwoon who looked lost again.

“ Did something happen? ”.

“ Hm ” he answered then sipped the milk.

Chohee was taken a back with his honesty. She expected Taekwoon to deny it, but he just coolly admitted it.

“ I’m a type who looks after everything and gives everything. But when it’s over, I don’t look back. I’m a really cold-hearted man right? ”.

Chohee just laughed awkwardly not knowing what to answer. ‘No, you are much colder then you thought, doc. And the entire hospital know that’ Chohee said in her mind.

“ I guess you are a bit like that ” Chohee said.

 “ I thought I didn’t have anything left for that person who coldly leave me. But when that person suddenly comeback into my life, I just realized I was wrong. And I don’t know what to do ”.

“ Just take her back ”.

“ It’s not that easy… ” he said.

Chohee’s heart clenched as she saw his face. Though he was smiling, she knew deep inside he was in pain. She felt bad for him.

“ Chohee-sshi…. ”.

“ Neh? ” she asked with hoarse voice.

She tried to clear . Why suddenly my voice became hoarse? Taekwoon ran his thumb on her cheek to wipe her tears. She just realized that she was crying.

“ Why would you cry? I’m the one who should be crying now ” Taekwoon chuckled.

“ Sorry doc, I just too carried away…. ” she said totally embarrassed.

Deep inside she cursed herself for being a cry-baby. But she just couldn’t help it. Her already red cheeks were become redder than before. Thanks to her slight fever and this embarrassing moment. She felt her head like spinning around. Then she just realized that Taekwoon’s thumb still lingered on her cheek. She lifted her head then met eyes with his deep eyes. Everything was happened so fast. She felt something soft met her lips and everything became pitch black.

=====================================================================

Chohee opened her eyes widely and thought she slept a little bit too long. What time is it now? She got up then felt the pain in her head from the sudden movement. She decided to lay on her bed again to relief the pain. As she felt the pain lessen, she got up from her bed carefully this time. She looked at her bed side and found a piece of paper, bread and some medicines. She took the letter and read it.

“ You have fever, you can take a couple days off. Don’t forget to take your medicine. Jung Taekwoon ” she read it out loud then it hit her.

“ Right! Doctor Jung spent the night here, then I woke up to make milk and we talked and…. What happen next I can’t remember it ”.

She tried to recall her memory but only caused her head hurt. She decided to just forget it then take her medicines.

=====================================================================

She didn’t remember how long she took a nap. It’s been a long time since she was able to take a good nap. Being sick wasn’t that bad at all. She felt a lot better. Thanks to medicine that left by Dr. Jung. Her shirt was drenched by her sweat. She decided to take a shower and change to dry clothing.

After a short refreshing shower, she decided to make something simple to eat before take her medicine. She decided to make a bowl of cereal. That was the simplest thing she could make. She sat on the couch and TV. She checked her phone and found some missed calls and messages. Most of it was from Jessica. You decided to call her.

“ Ya, are you okay? I heard from dr. Jung you were sick ”.

“ I’m much better now. I just got up and eat cereal before taking some medicines ”.

“ Thank God, I’ll stop by after work. Do you want me to bring you something? ”.

“ You don’t need to. I’m okay now, I will go work tomorrow ”.

“ Shouldn’t you take more rests? ”.

“ I can’t, because tomorrow is pay day. Ah… I feel much better just thinking about that ”.

“ I knew that. See you tomorrow then ”.

After hung up, she continued to eat her cereal. She decided to watch drama. Though she never watch the previous episode, she got engaged with the story. There was a scene when the lead actress was walking a park with the lead actor. She closed her eyes because the sun was too bright for her. The actor instinctively kissed her.

Chohee’s eyes widen because of that scene. She experienced a dejavu. Doctor Jung spent the night here, then I woke up to make milk and we talked and…. and I cried…. He wiped my tears and then….Chohee’s fingers were trailing on her lips.

“ Did Dr. Jung kissed me….? Or not?  ”.