New Intern

Doctor Jung

She was typing furiously on her keyboard. Her eyes were going back and forth from her computer screen to paper in front of her. A slice of plain bread hung at the tip of as she struggled to eat it without her busy hands. She just too busy to have a proper lunch…well she even too busy to hold her bread. Taekwoon was seriously a busy person and had a lot of work to be done. She couldn’t imagine how he handled these jobs before he hired her as his secretary.

 

Suddenly her phone rang. She looked at the caller id, it was Taekwoon.  She accidentally spit her bread which landed on her file and messed it.  . Taekwoon rarely called her, he usually just texted her. Once he called, it means she caused trouble and need her to confirm her mistake. She quickly picked up her phone after swallowed the bread.

 

“ Yes Doctor? ”.

 

“ Are you sure you have copy my slides for my lecture inside my flash drive? ”.

 

“ Yes doc ….I guess so ” she whispered the last words.

 

She could hear Taekwoon sighed from the other line. You are in a deep sh*t Jung Chohee.

 

“ It wasn’t there ”.

 

“ I’m sorry Doc, I thought I’ve copied it  ”.

 

“ Just email it now ”.

 

“ Right away, Doc. I’m sorry ”.

 

Taekwoon just hummed then hung up. She just stared blankly at her phone screen for a moment. With her clumsy and forgetful nature, every single day she prepared herself to be fired. As much as Taekwoon had authority to hire her, he had the same authority to fire her.

 

She lost tracked at how many times she caused trouble for Taekwoon. But still Taekwoon hadn’t fire her…. yet. And this year was the third year she worked as his secretary. She shook her head to get her sense back.

 

“ Ah right, I have to send Dr. Jung’s slides ” she said then opened her browser and sent the slides right away.

 

She stretched her back and decided to make a cup of coffee to wake up her sense. She walked to the pantry which was right beside Taekwoon and her office. She opened the door of the pantry and saw a crowd of white coat’s men gathered beside the dispenser.

 

“ Annyeonghaseyo Docs ” she bowed.

 

As she lifted her head, she couldn’t help but smile at how lucky she was surrounded by these handsome doctors. ‘Hope’ Hospital was a new Hospital in Seoul. Though established for only 5 years, the hospital became famous because of its excellent service and high-end equipment. Not to mention the doctors mostly young and *uhuk* handsome. Despite their young age, they were experienced and the best on their own specialty.

 

“ Jung Chohee-sshi, are you taking a break? ” Wonshik asked.

 

“ Neh, Dr. Kim ”.

 

Dr. Kim Wonsik – Forensic (February 15, 1982). Constantly worked with dead body made Wonshik had a first impression of being creepy. But once people got to know him, he was actually warm and caring person…. and talkative. He loved to chat with anybody since most of the time he only hung out with corps. And corps couldn’t talk. Well sometimes he talked to them while cutting their body. When he was a kid, Wonshik  was so into CSI series. That was how he started to dream to become forensic.

 

“ Have you eaten yet?  ” Hongbin asked.

 

“ I have ate bread just now, Dr. Lee ”.

 

“ Poor thing,  you should have proper meal. You looked thinner day by day ” Hongbin said again.

 

Dr. Lee Hongbin – Plastic Surgeon (September 29, 1982). Probably the most handsome Doctor that she ever met. He was a plastic surgeon with a high reputation. Known as a living artwork with his handsome and define facial features. His clients were mostly male. They were begging to own face like him which hard to copy since he was born with it. Though super duper handsome and famous, he was humble and easy going which made him popular both among man and woman. Constantly made women misunderstood his kindness.

 

 “ You have to address me with full name, there are two Dr. Lees in here ” Hongbin smiled playfully showed his deep dimples.

 

“ That’s why I prefer to be called Dr. Ken than Dr. Lee ” the one with long and handsome nose smiled cheekily.

 

Dr. Lee Jaehwan aka Dr. Ken -  Pediatrician (April 6, 1981). With his bright and bubbly personality, being a pediatrician was like a destined job for him. Actually his dream job was a kindergarten teacher. He loved to interact with kids so much. Blessed with genius brain, he realized that he could used his brain for good without gave up his loving for kids as a pediatrician. Actually nick name Ken was given by children that he took care of. They said Dr. Lee Jaehwan was handsome like that famous doll, Ken. He fond that nick name so much.

 

Suddenly someone opened the door of pantry. Chohee choked on her coffee when she realized that was Taekwoon. She even spilled some on her white shirt.

 

“ Jung Chohee, I need you to type some paper ”.

 

“ Yes Doc ”.

 

“ At least let her finish her coffee first hyung ” Jaehwan said.

 

Taekwoon just glared at Jaehwan then left. Chohee was going to put her unfinished coffee to the sink but Hongbin grabbed it.

 

“ I’ll put it on sink, here wipe your shirt with this ” Hongbin said then handed her his handkerchief.

 

“ Kamsahamnida ” she bowed deeply then went back to her office.

 

When Chohee arrived, Taekwoon was already sat on his chair. He leaned his head back while closing his eyes. Though she couldn’t read his eyes (since it were closed), she could tell that he was tired….and upset. She tiptoed to walk inside the office and sit on her chair. Though she was on Ninja Mode,  Taekwoon somehow could feel her present.

 

“ What date is today, Jung Chohee? ”.

 

“ October 1st doc ” though his question random, she just answered it.

 

“ What day? ”.

 

“ Wednesday ”.

 

“ Today is Thursday, the lecture was actually yesterday. That’s why no one came to my class ” .

 

Taekwoon sighed again then massaged his throbbing temple. Jung Chohee just hides behind stack of folders in front of her. She wished she just disappeared.

 

=====================================================================

 

Taekwoon just left to attend a meeting. Chohee took this chance to make a cup of coffee, again. She barely drank her first coffee. She made the coffee real quick then brought it to her office. She was taken a back when she saw Hakyeon inside her office with an intern.

 

“ Dr. Cha, can I help you? ” she asked nervously.

 

She always feels uneasy around Hakyeon. He looked around the office while smiling calmly. But she knew that smile wasn’t genuine.

 

“ Disappear during working hours ”.

 

 He paused, looked at her coffee then her face.

 

“ Bring beverage inside your office that might taint important document, how careless. If you are not Taekwoon’s secretary you will definitely lose your job right now. Lucky you ”.

 

Chohee just biting her lip to prevent herself from crying. No need to point her being careless, she already knew it. The fact that Hakyeon said in front of stranger hurt her pride even more. She could feel shadow behind her and turned around to find Taekwoon.

 

“ Dr. Jung... ”.

 

“ What are you doing here Dr. Cha Heukyeon? ”.

 

Hakyeon cringed at the way Taekwoon intentionally mispronounced his name. Chohee almost laughed out loud heard that but gladly she could hold it. Hakyeon and Taekwoon were graduated from same University. Back then his friends always called him Heukyeon for being dark skinned. And he hated that nickname so much.

 

“ I just teach your secretary some lessons for lazing around during working hours, she even bring coffee inside her office which is prohibit. Didn’t she break too many rules? ”.

 

“ First she didn’t lazing around, she took a brief break because she couldn’t take a break earlier. Second, I let her bring coffee inside because I hate it when she wasn’t around when I need her. Third you didn’t have the right to teach her lesson, she is my secretary not yours ”.

 

“ You two must be really close, you even defend her. Interesting. By the way I’m here to introduce a new intern. Introduce yourself to Dr. Jung ”.

 

“ Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Han Sanghyuk. Long time no see, hyung ”.

 

Hyung? Chohee glanced at Sanghyuk curiously. This guy either sassy or he real close with Taekwoon. Chohee looked at Taekwoon and his jaw hardened at the word hyung.

 

“ If you need anything just ask me or my secretary ”.

 

“ Annyeonghaseyo, my name is Jung Chohee ” she bowed.

 

“ Annyeonghaseyo, just call me Hyuk ” Sanghyuk smiled.

 

Sanghyuk had smile which was childlike and innocent. Chohee had to suppress her self for not pinching his cheeks. But she couldn’t be fooled with that smile. He might be smiley but meanie like Hakyeon.

 

“ I’ll show him around and introduce him to the others ”.

 

“ Next time call me instead of visiting me personally. It’s annoying to see you often ” Taekwoon said.

 

Hakyeon just laughed but anybody could see that he was annoyed with that.

 

“ See you around ” he said then left.

 

=====================================================================

 

It was 9 pm. Jessica and Chohee decided to grab something to eat after work. They decide to eat spicy rice cake, fish cake and maybe a bottle of soju to warm their body. Fall was getting closer and the evening breeze became colder.

 

“ I heard you were being scolded by bibucha ” Jessica said.

 

“ How did you know? ”.

 

“ I have eyes everywhere ” she said flipping her hair.

 

That was their secret nickname for Hakyeon. They couldn’t say his real name because who knows someone overheard and caused trouble for them. Bibucha means rain calling cha, because when he came the atmosphere became sulky just like rainy day. Not only Hakyeon, they have nickname for all the doctors, Ravi for Wonshik, Kong for Hongbin, Kendy for Ken and Leo for Taekwoon.

 

“ He scolded me in front of that new intern. I was so embarrassed and almost cry ”

 

“ Ah right that intern, let’s call him maknae from now. You know, he is the youngest child of our hospital CEO ”

 

“ Jinja? Maybe that was the reason he didn’t intimidate with bibucha. He even called Leo hyung and said long time no see. Wait did Leo even know him before? ”.

 

“ You didn’t know? ”.

 

“ Know what? ”.

 

“ That’s why you need to socialize during lunch so you can gossip about what’s happening ”.

 

“ You know I never have a chance to go out lunch. What’s going on, tell me ”.

 

“ I’ll tell you something interesting. This is related with why bibucha and Leo don’t get a long. As we know that bibucha engage with CEO’s oldest child, who happens to be that new intern’s older sister. This is the interesting thing, that bibucha’s fiancée was Leo’s ex-girlfriend ”.

 

“ No way…. ” Chohee squealed in disbelief.

 

“ You said that maknae called Leo hyung and said long time no see. There’s possibility that maknae and Leo knew each other when he was dating his sister ”.

 

“ That’s make sense, Leo looked tense when he met maknae ”.

 

After the long chat, Chohee looked lost. She quietly played with the bottle neck of the soju.

 

“ What’s wrong? You look lost ”.

 

“ Nothing. It’s just I don’t know there are stories like this ” .

 

“ Let’s hang out after work more often from now, I’ll tell you about what’s happening so you can catch up ”.

 

“ Sounds good ”.

 

“ keonbae? ” Jessica lifted her glass.

 

“ Keonbae ”.