Breaking Point

Comfort in Silence

    The next few weeks were very busy as they began to finalize songs for their next album and start creating choreography. They all stayed up late into the night most days, leaving Lee Chan to just collapse into bed each night when practice was over. However, Jihoon still stayed after, working in his studio, even when as a group they practiced until three or four in the morning. 

    Each day, Jihoon looked more fatigued and soon, it wasn't only Lee Chan noticing.

    Walking down the stairs in their practice building one day, Lee Chan noticed Seungcheol talking to Jihoon in a corner, looking very serious. Lee Chan stopped and positioned himself so as not to be seen.

    "Listen, Jihoon. I know you're trying to make our new songs as perfect as possible before we finalize them, but even you have limits. When was the last time you had a decent night of sleep?" Seungcheol said.

    Jihoon took a few seconds to reply. "It's...been a while."

    "Exactly. You need to rest. Properly. I know I can't stop you from working, but just think about it. We're all worried you're going to run yourself into the ground."

    Jihoon lowered his head. "I understand. I'll think about it."

    Seungcheol didn't try to press for more, just made a face and patted Jihoon on the shoulder as he turned to leave. "Good."

    Lee Chan watched as Jihoon sank to the ground after Seungcheol was far out of sight. He watched as Jihoon clutched at his shirt, knuckles white. All Lee Chan wanted to do was comfort Jihoon, but he knew he couldn't. He was afraid Jihoon would be mad, letting himself be seen like this. So he just sat there silently, watching as Jihoon shook silently for a few minutes before getting up and walking away, a blank expression on his face.

    Seeing him like this almost broke Lee Chan. He didn't want to see the person he loved in pain like this.

                                       __________________________________________________________________________________

    That night, practice ended surprisingly early, possibly because everyone could sense something was wrong. As they all left the practice room to head home to the dorm, Lee Chan stayed behind. He walked up to the mirror, steeling himself for what he was about to do. 

    Following a path that had become second nature to him after all these weeks, Lee Chan arrived at the door to Jihoon's studio and opened it, knowing Jihoon would be on the other side despite Seungcheol's warning. 

    Just like usual, Jihoon did not turn around. But Lee Chan did not go to his usual spot. Instead, he grabbed an extra chair and pulled it up to sit right next to Jihoon. Startled, Jihoon turned away from the computer screen. 

    "Jihoon, listen. You know you can tell me when you're feeling overwhelmed and stressed. I'm here for you. I know how much you work and how much feeling you put into it, how much you care. About all of us. I want you to know that you don't have to shoulder this burden alone. I know that sometimes, maybe most of the time, you don't even need to hear anything. But, I want to be here for you. And in exchange, I want you to let me be here for you. Is that too much to ask?"

    Jihoon looked speechless, processing what Lee Chan had said. And when he did, Jihoon broke.

    Fat tears began to roll down his cheeks and he began to cry, silently. He shook as he weeped, hands coming up to hide his face from view. Lee Chan grabbed them before they covered his face and pulled Jihoon into a hug. 

    Jihoon didn't even flinch at the contact, just let himself be held as he cried into Lee Chan's shoulder. Lee Chan knew it was best to not say anything more with Jihoon like this, so he just held him tightly trying to convey his comforting message that way. 

    After a few long minutes, Jihoon began to stop crying, and he started to wipe the water from his eyes. Lee Chan quickly found the box of tissues Jihoon kept in the room and handed Jihoon one, who accepted it gratefully. 

    After a moment, Jihoon opened his mouth to speak, "You know, I'm really grateful to you, Chan. You've been here for me everyday for the past few months, but I really don't know why. Just...thank you. So much. I've been so overwhelmed these past few weeks, trying to make sure this album lives up to our past ones. I know everyone has high expectations. And I do too. I can't put out something that's horrible. I thought someday I'd be able to get used to it: staying up until four a.m. and working. But it's never gotten easier, and it's been taking a toll on me, slowly. I just don't want to let anyone down. The members, the company, the fans, you. But I just think I've hit the breaking point this time."

    Lee Chan took a moment before he replied, letting everything Jihoon had just said sink in. "It's completely okay to feel like that, Jihoon. You do more for this group than just about anyone else and you ask for nothing in return. I admire that. Truly. Just know you can tell me anything. I won't mind."

    Jihoon nodded slowly, with a strange expression. "I'm sorry for ranting like this to you. I'm just stressed."

    "Don't be sorry. It's fine." 

    "Okay."

    Lee Chan smiled. Jihoon just ducked his head again. But Lee Chan could see the ghost of a smile on his lips as he stared at the floor. And it made him fall just a little deeper in love.

                                      __________________________________________________________________________________

    The next few days, Jihoon actually headed back to the dorms with the members after practice for the first time in a while. It put everyone in a better mood, leaving together. Lee Chan watched as Jihoon smiled at Soonyoung and Seokmin's antics. He was glad Jihoon was taking a break. As they fell asleep that night, he couldn't help but lay awake, listening to the sounds of Jihoon's quiet breathing. 

    A strange thing began as Jihoon took his well deserved break. He would stare at Lee Chan, for what seemed like no reason. And when Lee Chan met his gaze he would hold it for a few more seconds, before looking away with a strange expression on his face. Lee Chan was confused, and considered asking Jihoon about it. But he didn't.

    Late one night that week, Lee Chan decided to stay behind to work on the new dance they were learning. There were some moves he wanted to be sure he executed perfectly. He practiced hard for a few minutes, panting with exertion. A light sweat formed at his hairline as he danced. As he ran through the dance for the seventh time, he heard someone enter the room quietly. It was Jihoon. Lee Chan's heart sped up and he was pretty sure that was probably bad, considering it was already pounding heavily due the movement.

    Jihoon just stood by and watched silently as Lee Chan finished the dance. When he stopped to take a break, breathing heavily, Jihoon stood and walked over to him.

    "Let's dance together."

    All Lee Chan could do was nod in surprise.

    He started up the music again and they began to move, completely in sync. Jihoon had always been a good dancer. He was talented at pretty much everything. It made Lee Chan kind of proud. 

    He made the mistake of staring at Jihoon in the mirror, noticing that his eyes were already trained on Lee Chan. The gaze made him shiver with its strange intensity. As they moved across the floor, both snuck looks at the other. By the time the music ended, Lee Chan was very tired. 

    He walked over to his bags in the corner of the room, picking them up and turning to walk back across the room to the door. Jihoon stood in the center of the room, his eyes on Lee Chan in the mirror. 

    "You know, Chan, I've been meaning to ask you this for a while," Jihoon began as he turned around. "Why did you come and stay with me while I worked for all this time? Why do it?"

    The air suddenly felt thick. Lee Chan's mouth went dry. Jihoon just waited, intensely staring.

    "Um," Lee Chan said eloquently. "At first, it was just because I felt like you might be lonely and then I just felt like I wanted to be there for you if you needed me. And then..." Lee Chan trailed off. 

    He hadn't noticed Jihoon slowly walking toward him as he had been talking. Now Jihoon was right in front of him, still walking forward. Lee Chan began walking backwards instinctively as Jihoon approached him. Suddenly, he felt something solid pressed against his back, and he realized he must have backed into the wall. 

    He looked up at Jihoon's face, and oh it was close. Jihoon's dark eyes bored into him. He began breathing heavily. Jihoon placed his arms on either side of Lee Chan, caging him in. He lowered his mouth near Lee Chan's ear and whispered, "And then?"

    Lee Chan shivered as his heart beat wildly. He looked at Jihoon. They were pressed so close. "And then, I---."

    Jihoon moved his face right next to Lee Chan's, their mouths very near to each other. And Lee Chan felt so desperate. Again, Jihoon said softly, "You what, Chan?"

    His lips were so dangerously close now. And Lee Chan wanted them even closer. His eyes began to flicker shut. Caught up in the moment, he answered truthfully.

     "And then I fell in love with you."

    He gasped quietly as soft lips finally, finally slid against his own. Jihoon's hands came up to grip the side of his face, one sliding into his hair. Lee Chan's own just gripped Jihoon's waist, warm under his fingers as Jihoon pressed him further into the wall. Lee Chan's eyes slowly closed as Jihoon's lips moved against his own. Jihoon gently bit down on his lower lip, and Lee Chan whimpered softly. He loved Jihoon so much. He couldn't believe this was actually happening, everything he had only dreamed about but wanted so badly for months.

    They broke apart for a few seconds, breathing heavily, before Jihoon captured Lee Chan's lips once again. With a sigh, Lee Chan's mouth opened as Jihoon slowly traced across his lips. Their tongues gently entwined for a few seconds, filling Lee Chan with warmth. He whined quietly as Jihoon pulled back after a few moments. He stared warmly into Lee Chan's eyes, fingers grazing through his hair. 

     Leaning down to speak into Lee Chan's ear, he whispered, "Me too."