Morning

Comfort in Silence

    The room was still dark when Lee Chan woke up next. Blearily, Lee Chan craned his neck to look over at the hotel's bedside clock from his position with Jihoon's arm wrapped tightly around him. It was 4:45, and Lee Chan didn't have time to really go back to sleep at all due to their scheduled wake-up at 6 o'clock. 

    So, he just stayed there, glancing at Jihoon every so often and listening to his soft breathing in the slowly lightening room. It was calming.

    After a few minutes, Lee Chan decided it was finally time to begin to actually get up. Slowly, he lifted Jihoon's arm and slid out of the bed, looking back and smiling softly at his sleeping face. Quietly walking into the small kitchen area, he spotted a few bananas along with some bread and a small jar peanut butter lying on the counter. Lee Chan suddenly remembered they had been bought by the managers for breakfast.

    He spotted a white toaster next to the mini fridge in the corner of the room and decided to toast the bread. Minutes later, a delicious smell of warm food began to fill the air. Opening the jar of peanut butter, Lee Chan began spreading it across the bread carefully. He gently placed a few banana slices on each piece of bread to give a sweet flavor to the breakfast.

    Knowing it was time to begin trying to wake Jihoon up, Lee Chan padded back to the bed. Jihoon was generally always the last to wake up in the mornings. Trying to rouse him was a difficult task that normally involved quite a few of the members, and Lee Chan did not know if he alone was up to the challenge. 

    Watching as Jihoon slept peacefully, he began to turn on all the lights in the room. He opened the curtains, letting the bright morning light filter into the room. Jihoon did not even move. Lee Chan decided he would have to try other methods. He firmly tapped Jihoon on the shoulder once and then twice. It had no effect. So, he gripped Jihoon's shoulder and began to shake him awake. 

    "Jihoon. Jihoon! It's time to wake up," he called out.

    Suddenly, he heard a soft mumble and then arms firmly wrapped around his waist, dragging him onto the bed. Jihoon murmured nonsensical phrases softly with eyes still closed, holding onto Lee Chan tightly. Lee Chan's heart sped up quickly with the situation around him. 

    Having no choice but to respond to the embrace, Lee Chan wrapped his arms around Jihoon. 

    Speaking loudly into his ear, Lee Chan said, "Wake up, Jihoon. It's the morning."

    That earned him a grunt, and he smiled, pleased he was making progress. Lee Chan stayed close to his ear and continued to encourage Jihoon to wake up. It was slowly working; Lee Chan could tell Jihoon was more or less almost awake.

    The final push was when he said, "Please wake up, Jihoon. I made you breakfast. I hope you'll like it."

    With that, Jihoon's eyes began to slowly open as he blinked up at Lee Chan. He didn't look happy to be woken up, but it was less of a scathing glare than what he typically gave the other members every morning. Lee Chan wondered why while he stared at Jihoon as he yawned.

    Pretty much ignoring Lee Chan, Jihoon gradually removed himself from the bed and its covers and walked into the bathroom. Lee Chan wasn't surprised. Generally, after he woke up, Jihoon wouldn't make any attempt to talk to anyone for at least ten minutes.

    So, he just let him be and walked back to the kitchen area. After filling two glasses with the bottled water that had been bought for them, Lee Chan heard the sounds of Jihoon pulling out a chair and sitting down with a thump

    Looking over, Lee Chan said, "Um...I made some breakfast if you feel like eating this early."

    He gently placed the plate of toast in front of Jihoon, who stared at it sleepily before beginning to eat. Jihoon and Lee Chan sat across from each other, chewing silently for a few minutes.

    Wiping the crumbs from his mouth, Jihoon finally spoke. "Thanks for breakfast, Chan. I feel bad that I'm always so grumpy and hard to get up in the mornings. I'm glad we were able to sleep comfortably though."

    "Me too. I slept really well once I settled in," he replied. "Thanks for leaving me a space."

    He focused on Jihoon, trying to convey his sincerity.

    "And also, don't worry about the mornings. It doesn't bother me."

    It just makes me like you even more, to be able to know you have a grumpy side sometimes.

    Jihoon just stared back at him for long moments, his face and gaze softening somewhat as he looked at Lee Chan.

    "Well...that's good to hear," he mumbled, continuing to look across the table.

    His eyes flickered at something and he let out a soft noise. "Oh, you have some peanut butter next to your mouth."

    Embarrassed, Lee Chan reached up quickly to wipe it away, but Jihoon gently but firmly gripped his wrist.

    "Let me."

    And he carefully and delicately swiped his thumb across Lee Chan's skin. It made him feel like he was precious, with the slow slide of the finger next to his lips. 

    "There," Jihoon said softly, as he leaned away from Lee Chan, popping his thumb into his mouth to off the excess peanut butter. Lee Chan shivered. 

    "Um...I'll be back. I have to go use the bathroom and brush my teeth!" he said in a rush, his face burning. 

    He practically sped away, leaving Jihoon watching him quizzically from behind.

                                  __________________________________________________________________________________

    Once he shut the bathroom door, he leaned up against it, his heart beating quickly. He clutched his chest, wordlessly pleading for the rhythm to calm down. 

    Lee Chan's mind raced with all the thoughts of Jihoon. Having accepted his feelings, he now didn't know where to go from now. He was confused by Jihoon's actions.

    Lee Chan slid down the door frame and just sat there for a few minutes, gathering himself together before going back to Jihoon. 
                                    __________________________________________________________________________________

    When he came out, however, Jihoon was gone and a stylist was in his place. Throughout the rest of the day, even as they warmed up and stretched, Lee Chan and Jihoon did not get a real chance to talk again.

    After the performance, the members' spirits were high thanks to having no major problems on stage. However, their celebration was cut short as they were herded back into the van to travel back to Seoul. 

    Lee Chan gazed out the window during most of the ride, the street lights flickering past as they traveled. Somewhere along the way, Soonyoung's head had drifted onto his shoulder as he slept. Lee Chan didn't wake him up. He knew he deserved some rest.

    Just like Jihoon did.