Music

Comfort in Silence

    Lee Chan gently shifted, his head still cradled in the hollow of Jihoon's neck. It was relaxing, just standing there, Jihoon occasionally patting the top of his head. Lee Chan felt like his heart was beating out of his chest. He didn't know what to do, so he just stood without saying anything.

    Minutes later, they finally broke apart. However, no words were exchanged. Lee Chan just took his seat while Jihoon began working just like usual. 

    Staring at the blank sheet of paper on his desk, Lee Chan once again puzzled over Jihoon's actions.

 

                                      _________________________________________________________________________________

 

    Days passed and their routine continued. Luckily, Jihoon did not pass out in his studio from exhaustion again. Even so, Lee Chan still was cautious when he stayed with him in the evenings.

    One night, after Lee Chan had settled in and it was a few minutes past midnight, Jihoon suddenly spoke up.

    "Come over here, Chan."

    Lee Chan looked up from his writing and, of course Jihoon had not turned around, but he was motioning for Lee Chan to come over to his work area.

    Jihoon moved his chair slightly to make a space for him as he walked across the room to the work area. Lee Chan leaned over and turned his face to watch Jihoon, waiting expectantly for an explanation.

    "I want you to hear something." And headphones were, somewhat roughly, placed on his head.

    A soft beat began slowly pulsing, making its way through the headphones. Gentle sounds filled his ears, and his eyes began to instinctively close. The rhythm then began to diffuse into sharper sounds but it was not a jarring transition. The music soared as the the song reached its . Lee Chan opened his eyes to see Jihoon staring intently at him. He stared back as carefully crafted and arranged sounds flooded his ears. It was an absolutely amazing instrumental track.

    The last notes began to fade out and then Lee Chan gently removed the headphones, looking up at Jihoon. 

    "How was it?" Jihoon asked quietly.

    Struggling to string together his thoughts, Lee Chan answered, "P-Perfect. Absolutely perfect. I loved it."

    Jihoon softly exhaled and ran a nervous hand through his hair. 

    "You're the first person to hear that track."

    Lee Chan's mouth opened just slightly at that.

    "I've been working on it for a few months, and...I...wanted you to be the first person to hear it." He paused. "I really appreciate you, Chan." 

    Jihoon gazed into Lee Chan's eyes with a kind expression. 

    Lee Chan replied, "Thank you for sharing that with me. And, I'm glad that I can be here with you." His eyes fixed on the ground. 

    Fingers gently tipped his head up once again. 

    "Don't feel embarrassed. Look at me, Chan. I'm happy you liked it."

    So, Lee Chan looked at him. Jihoon softly smiled and Lee Chan nearly gasped. It had become rare for Jihoon to so easily smile. 

    Even stranger was the fact that Jihoon had played his song for Lee Chan. He never let anyone hear anything, even the other producers sometimes, until he was absolutely happy and done with the track. 

    Lee Chan was puzzled. The night came to its end as he turned over what had happened with Jihoon in his mind.

 

                                       __________________________________________________________________________________

 

    A few days later, the group had a long drive to a concert venue, so it was unanimously decided that they would stay in a hotel the night before in order to get rest before the performance.

    The bus ride there was loud. Even with it being the early hours of the morning, some members were wide awake and had endless amounts of energy. Lots of singing from Seungkwan and strange antics by Soonyoung passed the time on the bus in a mostly enjoyable way.

    Jihoon, however, Lee Chan noticed as he looked back, was sleeping upright. If he didn't look closely it almost looked like he was awake and sitting in his seat. Seungcheol, sitting next to him, hadn't noticed. He was too busy trying to quieten down the louder members.

    Normally Lee Chan would be loud and laugh on their way to places, but he had stayed up sitting with Jihoon until three the night before. So, he was not very awake. 

    Lee Chan struggled to keep his eyes open for the next few hours and was very relieved to finally get to the hotel. Each room had two beds, both singles. Sleeping arrangements were randomly assigned by the manager: Wonwoo with Seungkwan, Vernon with Jeonghan, Minghao with Seokmin, Junhui with Joshua, Soonyoung with Mingyu, Seungcheol with the manager, and Lee Chan with Jihoon.

    Lee Chan was nervous. Once room keys were given out, they took their bags up to their room and began to unpack. Lee Chan was very aware of Jihoon as he walked about the room, settling his things in. 

    When they were done, the members were actually given the opportunity to go explore the town around the hotel area for the rest of the day. Everyone seemed to want food and began to look around for a good restaurant. However, as they were driving in earlier, Lee Chan had noticed a small beach. He wanted to go there, and so he began to walk by himself. A few minutes down the road, he began to hear fast footsteps coming up behind him. 

    Looking over his shoulder, he saw Jihoon coming toward him. He joined him wordlessly as they continued to walk. Eventually they arrived at the ocean. The sun was setting, bathing the sand in an orange glow. The water lapped at the shore.

    "Beautiful," Lee Chan whispered.

    "Yes. It really is," Jihoon softly replied.

    They stood there together, taking in the view, breathing in the salt in the air, the wind whipping their hair around.

    When the sky began to darken, they started on their way back. They unlocked the door to their room and Lee Chan told Jihoon he was going to take a shower. Jihoon acknowledged that he heard with a loud yawn.

    Lee Chan took a fairly quick shower, and when he was finished, he called out for Jihoon to let him know it was his turn. He got no answer.

    Stepping into the main room, he looked down to see Jihoon asleep on the bed Lee Chan had claimed as his. Lee Chan looked over to the other bed but saw there was a giant pile of bags and items covering Jihoon's bed. It looked like bad things might happen if Lee Chan attempted to move everything, with the way it was stacked.

    He just decided to leave it. The room's couch was tiny as well, so the only somewhat comfortable option was to share the bed with Jihoon. 

    Quietly slipping under the covers, Lee Chan tried not to focus on the other person in the bed. It was hard to be in close quarters with someone he was in love with and whose feelings he wasn't sure about towards him. Lee Chan tried to slowly breathe, chest rising and falling evenly. 

    Suddenly, Jihoon let out a sound and rolled over to face Lee Chan, still asleep. His hands flopped around as he turned, one eventually resting on the back of Lee Chan's neck and the other around his waist. Lee Chan's heart sped up almost too quickly. 

    However, Jihoon's hands felt calming, and even through he was nervous he eventually fell asleep to the sound of Jihoon's breathing in the darkness of the night.