Coffee

Comfort in Silence

    In the afternoon of the same day, after their morning dance practice, the members were informed that they were going to have a recording session for one of their songs that would be part of the next comeback.  They were told the order that they would go in to record, and Lee Chan was surprised to find that he was set to go second to last. 

    He silently scanned the practice room, looking for Jihoon. However he was nowhere to be found, and Lee Chan realized he was probably already in the recording studio setting up the instrumental track to be played and going over lyrics with the other producer.

    Starting with Jisoo, the members began to be called in one by one until it was his turn. Lee Chan slowly stood when his name was called and began walking toward the recording booth's entrance. He was somehow more nervous than usual to feel Jihoon's gaze on him, observing every sound that came from lips.

    Finally, he entered the booth and placed the large pair of headphones over his ears. Suddenly he heard Jihoon's voice come through the speakers in the small room.

    "Whenever you're ready, we'll start from your rap in the beginning."

    Lee Chan nodded and closed his eyes, opening his mouth and beginning his small part. While he sang, he could feel Jihoon's gaze on him, his intense concentration needed to be able to pick out any imperfection that he heard. Lee Chan knew not to open his eyes. He wanted to try his best and make his recording process easy for Jihoon.

    A few minutes later, he was finished and he began to slide the headphones off his head.

    As he turned to leave, Jihoon's voice, only for the second time, came over the speaker, "You did well. You were one of the best out of everyone today."

    Surprised by the comment, Lee Chan turned around to face Jihoon. He met his eyes and they simply stared at one another for a few moments before Lee Chan whispered a flustered thank you and quickly exited.

    When he arrived back, everyone was gone, probably to watch Jihoon record and also to listen to their parts. So, he entered the studio again, and took a seat on one of the chairs next to Soonyoung. Looking through the large window, he stared while Jihoon sang. At one point his voice slightly cracked, making Lee Chan wonder if he was exhausted from sitting up in his studio the night before.

    However, Jihoon continued recording without any errors, singing almost perfectly. As soon as he was done, the other eleven members clambered towards the computer, wanting to see if their parts turned out the way they expected. In the midst of the commotion, Lee Chan looked back to Jihoon, only to see him returning his stare while removing his headphones. As seconds ticked by they continued to hold gazes, but surprisingly it didn't make Lee Chan feel uncomfortable. Abruptly, his focus was drawn away from Jihoon when Soonyoung loudly told him to listen to a specific part in the song.

    While he was turned toward the computer screen he didn't see Jihoon quietly exit with an intrigued expression in his eyes.
     ___________________________________________________________________________

    Later, after night practice had finally ended Lee Chan was once again still in the practice room. He stared at the closed door of Jihoon's studio, wondering if he should go in again like the night before to keep Jihoon company.

    He decided he would and went to make a coffee for Jihoon, knowing he would be up for a while working on the song they recorded today. He also made another to try to keep himself awake. 

    Trying to balance two cups in one hand, he slowly opened the door as quietly as he could. Just like the night before, Jihoon did not turn around as he entered. Silently, he set the coffee down next to Jihoon and sank down into the chair he used the night before, sipping his own coffee and taking out his notepad to jot down lyrics.

    After a few minutes he noticed Jihoon reaching out to grasp the cup and slowly drink. Then, the clicking of the mouse resumed. A few more sips were taken in the next minutes until they stopped and Lee Chan realized the coffee was gone. He was happy he had made it to Jihoon's liking.

    They sat together in silence for a few hours, until Lee Chan, despite drinking a whole cup of coffee, began to feel tired. Not wanting to cause trouble by falling asleep in the studio for the second night in a row, he began to stand to start his journey back to the dorm. He quietly made his way to the door and began to turn the knob when he heard a quiet 'thank you' come from the back of the room. 

    Looking back toward Jihoon, he saw that he was still turned toward the bright computer screen, so he murmured a quick 'you're welcome' before turning back around. As he exited the room, he quietly added, "I wanted to." 

    While the door was closing, Lee Chan swore he heard the slight sound of a chair creaking as it was being abruptly turned to face the door.