Sleep

Comfort in Silence

    Lee Chan, thinking it almost impossible, became even more aware of Jihoon after realizing his feelings. He noticed how it took at least three or four members to be able to rouse him in the mornings and how he would still drift back into sleep if no one stayed around him. He noticed how Jihoon seemed to devote himself completely to whatever he was doing, pouring his whole heart into their practices. 

    It all just made him love Jihoon more.

    One morning after all the members had been awoken one way or another and everyone was beginning to eat breakfast, Lee Chan was watching Jihoon, who was blinking slowly and yawning. He knew that Jihoon had stayed up until four a.m. the previous night and he wondered how those were the only signs that he was tired at all. 

    During their dance practice time later in the day they began to figure out formations and work through some difficult choreography for one of their upcoming performances. The sheer difficulty of some of the moves, even for Lee Chan, was straining. After all the repetition, he just wanted to lay down somewhere and sleep for a whole day. He could only imagine how Jihoon felt. 

    So, he glanced at Jihoon. He was sweating but appeared alright physically. However, as Lee Chan stared at his eyes, he saw the fatigue and discomfort in them. Lee Chan wanted to do something but knew he would have to wait until later because there was no time when they were practicing. 

    He quietly worried while the time passed as they danced into the late hours of the night. 

                                              ______________________________________________________________________________

    Later, when he pushed open the door to the studio, Jihoon was in his usual position, the light of the screens framing his silhouette. Lee Chan set down the warm cup of coffee he had made for him and plopped down onto his chair, taking out his notebook to begin writing lyrics.

    Suddenly, he heard a soft thud. Glancing up, he saw that Jihoon's head had hit the desk and he was laying there, eyes closed. Lee Chan shot up and hurried over to him.

    He could hear the beginnings of soft snores coming from Jihoon. Lee Chan knew that Jihoon had had to have been extremely exhausted for this to even occur, so he lightly placed a hand on Jihoon's back and began to slowly rub small circles across the fabric of his shirt, trying to comfort him in his sleep.

    He continued for a few minutes, watching Jihoon's chest rise and fall. Lee Chan glanced up at the clock on the wall and noticed it was already a few hours past midnight. He knew he would need to get back to the dorms so he could sleep before the morning, but he didn't want to leave Jihoon alone or wake him. So, he decided he would carry him back to the dorms himself.

    Trying to be as quiet and careful as possible, Lee Chan bent down next to the desk and grabbed Jihoon's arms to wrap them around his neck. Gripping his legs, he hoisted Jihoon onto his back slowly, being careful not to wake him. Luckily, Jihoon continued sleeping peacefully, now resting on Lee Chan's back.

    Lee Chan, moving slowly and silently, began making his way out of the building and to the dorms. When he reached the street, he began to feel the weight of Jihoon on his back. Lee Chan just continued on, although he occasionally had to rest for a few brief moments. At these times, all he could focus on was the soft breath tickling the back of his neck and the warmth of Jihoon wrapped around him. His heart felt heavy.

    Finally, he reached the dorm building. As he walked into their room, he searched for Jihoon's bed in the darkness. When he found it, he gently laid Jihoon down and pulled his blankets over him. Jihoon's soft snores returned and he curled into the soft fabric. Lee Chan smiled and then turned away, ready to fall asleep himself.

                                          ______________________________________________________________________________

    The morning came quickly, and Lee Chan slowly woke up and began his routine. As he exited the bedroom, he noticed Jihoon's bed was already empty. He was usually one of the last to wake up in the mornings. 

    Entering the kitchen, he saw that everyone was already eating breakfast, save for a few stragglers. Jihoon was seated in the far corner of the room, intently picking at his food. Lee Chan sat down and began to eat, wondering how Jihoon was feeling as he stared down at his plate. Glancing up, he noticed Jihoon looking over at him with a serious expression on his face. He just stared back. 

    As the day continued, many more moments like the morning occurred. Lee Chan would look up to see Jihoon staring at him across the room when they were having breaks and in the mirror when they were practicing. 

    Lee Chan was puzzled as to why. Maybe it was about the day before? He decided to wait until the evening to find out.

    Later, he opened the door to Jihoon's studio, but before he could walk in, his wrist was tightly grabbed and he was pressed against the now closed door inside the room. Jihoon's face was right in front of Lee Chan's, his gaze piercing. An arm was placed next to Lee Chan's right cheek, closing him in. 

    His heart began beating fast at their proximity and only increased in speed as Jihoon began to lean in. His head came to a stop next to Lee Chan's ear, his soft hair brushing his cheek. 

    "You didn't have to do that last night. You should have gotten some sleep yourself instead of taking me all the way to the dorms," Jihoon softly whispered.

    Lee Chan shivered at the feeling of the voice in his ear. His eyes began to fall closed, his chest rising rapidly. 

    "How did you even manage to take me back to the dorm all by yourself?"

    Lee Chan's tongue felt heavy inside his mouth but he replied. "I just...carried you, on my back." 

    Jihoon looked puzzled as he pulled back slightly. "Why?"

    Because I'm in love with you. "I just wanted you to sleep well. You've been working so hard." He stared into Jihoon's eyes. "You deserve it more than anyone."

    Jihoon's gaze softened. It made Lee Chan's breath catch in his throat.

    "Maybe. Maybe someone else deserves it just as much," Jihoon murmured.

    With that, his head came to rest in the small crook in Lee Chan's neck, his arms wrapping around his waist. Lee Chan didn't know what to think. He couldn't figure out Jihoon even if he tried his hardest. 

    Jihoon softly breathed into his neck. "Thank you."

    And then, they stood in silence once again, Lee Chan's mind racing.