Because You Are Mine

The Boy Who Can't Leave

(The night after dinner with Heechul)

 

She spent hours crying - strolling down the busy street of Busan all by herself under the angry raindrops that hit on her skin. While others were busy seeking for a shelter, Ji Hyo's clothes were getting heavier with rainwater. Yet she continued to walk, ignoring eyes that were shooting curiously at her. Some of the locals knew her right away, but no one dare to speak to the heartbroken actress.

 

Finally her feet took her to a bus stand within the neighbourhood, although she doesn't need a public transport to reach her place. As no one was there, Ji Hyo found herself a perfect place to cried her heart out. "Why? Why does this happen to me?! What have I done wrong?!" she yelled as loud as she can, but her voice couldn't match the sound of thunder and the heavy rain that fell freely on earth. As the wind blew and frozen her skin, Ji Hyo wrapped herself in her arms to warm her body. She was shivering from the cold, but the worst of all - it made her feel lonely. Her family was living too far from her, and she just lost a 'friend' that she thought would be her pillar of strength. At that point of time, her life became empty.

 

The sound from the bus engine had woken her up from her brief sleep. Honestly Ji Hyo didn't remember when did she snooze off at the bus stand, but she found herself resting on the bench like a homeless person. Strangely her body was nicely covered with a black leather jacket, which she immediately realized that it wasn't hers. Ji Hyo abruptly got up and looked around for the owner, but there was no one suspicious. Her eyes began to scan the jacket for details. It's obviously made for man. The only clue that she got was a piece of paper that was left inside the pocket:

'Please take good care of yourself. This is not the end of life.'

 

Somehow she felt that the message was clearly sent to her, but she had no idea who wrote it. Ji Hyo carefully folded it back and kept the letter in her pocket, then took the jacket with her once she's ready to head home. It took about fifteen minutes of walking to reach her apartment, and the first thing she did before unlocking her front door was to check her mailbox. Since she's no longer 'wanted' by the industry, number of letters that she got on daily basis was getting smaller. Sometimes there was none. But on that day, she received several reminders for her bills and a couple of letters.

 

"What's this? From a school?" Ji Hyo was curious to found that one of the letters came from an all-boys school not far from her place, so she chose to read it first. agape in surprise. The letter was an offer to fill in for a position of a substitute teacher, which she never applied before. Though it was timely for her to get a new job, but Ji Hyo assumed that it reached her by mistake. So she decided to ignore it - put the letter away and threw herself on the couch. Her head felt heavy, so she gently massaged her temple while letting out a sigh.

 

Then she remembered something - the leather jacket. Ji Hyo quickly grabbed it, still trying to figure out who was kind enough to 'take care' of her last night. "Was I that pathetic? Or could it be.. ahni! That's impossible," deep in her heart she was hoping that the jacket belongs to Heechul, but the thought of him reminded her of the words that he said at the dinner. When tears began to fill her eyes again, Ji Hyo cuddled the jacket to ease her pain - as if she was in the arms of her love one. "I wish Kyung-il is here," suddenly she missed the man from her past, her only best friend before she became famous. But they had drifted apart for years now, and she assumed that he blamed her for leaving without a proper goodbye as none of her calls were return.

 

(Current day)

 

"I'm telling you the truth, Kyung-il! I did tried to get in touch with you.. but there was no reply. I thought you don't want to be my friend again. So I.. I stop searching for you," Ji Hyo defended herself when that man kept accusing her for ignoring him after she became a successful actress. Kyung-il scoffed at her confession. He thought it was a lame excuse that she created to get his sympathy, and it made him even more furious. "Mwo? Do you think I would fall for that lie? Am I that stupid?!" he shouted at her face - hands grabbing on her shoulders as if he wanted to squeeze her like a piece of paper. Though she was in pain, Ji Hyo was too scared to say a word and just grinned her teeth as she endured it.

 

The moment he realized what he did to her, Kyung-il immediately wrapped Ji Hyo in his arms with full regret. "Mianhaeyo. I.. I didn't mean to hurt you. I was just.. I was so upset. I was so upset because I was losing you, Seong-im! I can't lose you twice!" his voice was cracking when he apologized to her, and his face was buried on her shoulder as he began to cry like a little child. Ji Hyo - still tied up to the chair, was only able to console the man with words. "Gwaenchana, Kyung-il. I don't blame you for what you did.. and I'm sorry for disappearing and made you went through all these. I promise.. I will always be with you no matter what, so you can untie me now. I won't run away.. jeongmal!"

 

He detached himself from her and gazed deeply into her eyes to find out if she was telling the truth. "Wait.. what are you doing?" Ji Hyo was slightly panic when Kyung-il reached out for 'something' from his back pocket - thinking that he was going to shoot her with a weapon. At first she was relieved to see that it was just a small red box, but then became nervous when he revealed what's inside it. "Just be mine forever, Cheon Seong-im. This way.. I will never lose you again. We will always have each other.. and only death will do us apart," he got down on one knee and proposed to her, which caught Ji Hyo by surprise as she never thought that he would be serious about it.

 

"Kyung-il aah.. I'm your best friend! Now that you're looking younger than me.. I don't think we should do this especially when I'm a teacher and you're my student!" she felt wrong to accept his proposal.

But Kyung-il insisted, "We don't need to announce to the class that we're married! After all.. you'll only be working there for three months and by then.. I will drop myself out from that school and go back to my previous life. It's a great plan, isn't it?"

"Then what happen after three months? What am I supposed to do for a living?"

"Once we're married.. you don't need to worry about your future, Seong-im. I will take care of you and shower you with love for as long as I live. I just want you to stay where I can see you.. day and night. I.. am madly in love with you, Seong-im. So I won't take 'no' for an answer."