A Dark Secret Revealed

The Boy Who Can't Leave

Every pair of eyes were shooting at her. She heard them whispering and discussing among each other, and it was obvious that the boys have noticed something so familiar about the new teacher. One of them raised his hand and stood up from his chair, "Miss Seong-im! Are you.. perhaps.. related to the pretty actress Song Ji Hyo?". The question was thrown at her not just by that one boy, but the rest of the class were waiting enthusiastically for her to reply. Ji Hyo exchanged her stare with Kyung-il, who seems to be very happy with everyone's reaction. "What's the matter, pretty girl? Cat got your tongue?" the young man smirked at the new teacher, then winked at the lady in a flirting way. Kyung-il wasn't afraid when Ji Hyo gave him a sharp look, instead he was too brave to whisper in her ear, "Let's go for a date tonight if you want to keep your secret.. and your job."

 

As an older person teacher to the young man, Ji Hyo was very surprised with Kyung-il's bold behavior. There's no word to describe her nervousness having to deal with his nerve wrecking attitude, what more when he smartly manipulating her own secret against her. "You didn't say no.. so I take it as a yes," Kyung-il said with confidence before he announced to the whole class, "My friends! Our new teacher has agreed to reveal the answer by tomorrow. So let's give her some space to think.. especially tonight." Ji Hyo knew that the young man purposely emphasized on the word 'tonight', meaning that he was referring to the deal that he just offered to her.

 

Ring!!

 

Fortunately her session with the class has ended, so Ji Hyo immediately wrapped up the learning by giving her students some additional homework before she left the room. Another challenging day at work has gone, but it felt like the pressure was getting stronger. Rushing back to her work desk, Ji Hyo speed up her steps and finally made it to the office. Her sudden presence had startled one of her peers, "Omo.. Seong-im ssi! Why were you running? Did any of the boys been chasing you around?". Giving her best to hide her anxiety, Ji Hyo fake a smile and replied, "Ah ni! I was just.. well.. I had an emergency." Her colleague nodded as he accepted her excuse. Out of curiosity, she decided to take her chance by asking her senior, "Choi Hyun ssi.. do you know a student named Kyung-il? He's from my class."

 

The older teacher scratched his head as he recalled the details, "Kyung-il? I think I do. He was transferred to this school about a month ago. Why are you asking?". The fact that was just shared by the senior teacher has captured her attention, "Transferred? From which school? Do you know his parents?". "I don't know that much about him, but I heard that he was transferred here on a special request," more information were disclosed by her colleague, to which had triggered deeper curiosity about the boy. Determined to find out the boy's secret, Ji Hyo politely seek permission to vet through Kyung-il's personal file. At first the school administrator was hesitated, but after she persistently persuaded him to give her a peek at the file, she finally got her hands on the document. Carefully she analyzed all the details, and what she found about him was beyond her imagination.

 

When the working hours were over, Ji Hyo headed straight to her car which was parked at the designated area. She inserted the key to start the engine and ready to step on the gas pedal, but the sudden appearance of Kyung-il right in front of her car had forced her to quickly hit on the break pedal. was wide open as she was still in shock, but Kyung-il didn't seem to be affected by the near-hit incident. He was smiling brightly at her as he approached the driver side and knocked on the window. Reluctantly, Ji Hyo rolled down her screen and screamed out loud, "Noh micheossoh? What if I fail to stop my car?!". He casually pinched her pink cheek, "You're so cute when you're angry!". "Yaa! Jugeullae?!" Ji Hyo pushed his hand away, but Kyung-il only laughing at her reaction.

 

The young man took a deep breath and passed on a reminder, "I'll see you tonight, pretty girl! I'm sure you'll look stunning in the red dress." After he finished his words, Kyung-il casually walked away and left Ji Hyo in confusion. She couldn't comprehend his last sentence, "Mwoya? Red dress? But I don't have any..". Throughout her journey home, the new teacher kept her mind busy with figuring out if she should succumb to Kyung-il's request. She recalled the information that she read from his personal file and trying to connect all the missing links in order to understand the young man's behavior. "You're thinking too much, Ji Hyo! Maybe he's just a fan of you. Geurae.. I can handle him!" she tone down her anxiety by talking to herself.

 

Arriving at her house, she saw a mysterious silver box wrapped with a black ribbon and decorated with a red rose at her front door. Ji Hyo stepped out from the vehicle and walked towards the box to take a peek at the content. She read out the card with her name on it, "My pretty Ji Hyo, I hope you will like it as much as I like to see you wear it for our date tonight - Kyung-il." Scanning her area for any presence of the young man, she quickly took the box and went inside the house to lock herself. Once she felt safe, Ji Hyo unwrapped the box and took out the red dress that was made for her. Still contemplating about the 'date' with Kyung-il, she put on the red dress and match it with a pair of stilettos. She observed herself in the mirror - taking a deep breath to calm her conflicting emotion.

 

Ding dong!!

 

Someone was waiting for her at the front door. As she had expected, it was Kyung-il who's looking great in his suit. The young man smiled and offered his arm to her, but Ji Hyo just ignored him made her way to his limousine. She refused to talk to him inside the vehicle, although Kyung-il was trying his best to start a conversation. Twenty minutes later, they arrived at a private restaurant, and it seems like Kyung-il had reserved the place for the two of them to have some privacy. "I knew you'll look amazing in that dress, but of course any kind of dressing will suit your pretty skin," for the seventh time he compliment the new teacher. He invited Ji Hyo to drink a glass of wine, but she rejected. "Come on, a glass won't do a harm," Kyung-il trying to convince her.

 

"Let's be clear about tonight. The reason I accepted your invitation was to have a few words about your behavior.. and I have no interest to date a college dropout like you," Ji Hyo uttered the words in a serious tone. "Mwo? So you did a background check on me? Waah.. I never thought that you'll be very much interested to get to know each other. I was hoping to tell you later when we have became closer," Kyung-il replied in a playful manner. "Drop the act, Kyung-il ssi! I already know that you're not a high school student and you're just 'hiding' in school uniform for whatever reason," Ji Hyo began to spill out everything that she knew. Amazed with her 'detective' skill, Kyung-il gave another riddle, "You're right! I'm not a student. I paid them to get me into that school.. just like I paid principal Yoo and everyone else so that you became the substitute teacher at the all-boys high school where I'm attending."