Who You Are To Me

The Boy Who Can't Leave

"Welcome to our school, Miss Seong-im. I hope you will like it here," principal Yoo welcomed the substitute teacher on her first day at work. The woman smiled and bowed politely, "I'm really glad for this opportunity. Please look after me, Principal Yoo." After the briefing session was done, the new teacher was taken to her class by one of the school officers. This is her first time having to deal with high school seniors, and as the only female teacher in the all-boys school, Ji Hyo was very nervous to begin her duty. "Students, this is Miss Seong-im.. your substitute teacher for English class," she was briefly introduced to the boys before the officer left. To calm herself, Ji Hyo took a deep breath and smiled at the students while figuring out her first few words.

 

'Will they recognize who I was?' the new teacher was worried if her true identity will be revealed. She couldn't stop her heart from beating fast till she felt suffocated with all eyes on hers. Some of them were smiling sincerely at her, but there were others who kept on staring at her with their naughty face. "You're pretty Miss Seong-im!" one of the boys voiced out and supported by a group of his classmates. Another boy began to , "Do you have boyfriend?". The students burst into laughter, but as a teacher Ji Hyo remained focused and prepared herself to deal with their cheeky jokes. "Thank you and no.. I don't have one. We will have plenty of time to get to know each other better in the next three months but right now, I'd like you to introduce yourself," Ji Hyo gradually making herself comfortable in class.

 

One by one the students introduced themselves to the new teacher, but there's one particular boy who sat at the back of the class with an attitude that she couldn't comprehend. "Well? Don't you want to introduce yourself?" Ji Hyo asked in a firm voice. She noticed that the boy had been locking his eyes on hers since she stepped into the classroom, and his behaviour was a bit strange as compared to the others. Indeed, the boy had surprised her with a remark, "Is your name really Seong-im? Because you look like someone that I know." "I don't know what you're talking about.. and that's not the way to speak to your teacher, Mr.."

 

"Kyung-il.. that's what they called me," the boy answered casually. Although he's one of the good looking students in the class, but his attitude was too annoying for Ji Hyo to handle. The new teacher continued with the first lesson plan although it wasn't easy to control the playful students. When the bell rang at the end of the period, all students were so excited to wrap up the class. The boys began to leave the room one by one, but Kyung-il was still seating at his place. "Don't you want to go home?" she asked the boy out of curiosity. Kyung-il carried his school bag and approached his English teacher, "I'm so happy to see you in person.. Miss Ji Hyo." The moment he mentioned her stage name,  Ji Hyo knew that the boy had figured out her other identity. But she pretended to be clueless in order to keep her current job, "I think you've got the wrong person, Kyung-il.. but I don't blame you for that. You're not the first one who thought that I'm the Korean actress."

 

The next day, Ji Hyo found a letter on her desk. The paper smell like a man's perfume as she opened it:

My beautiful Song Ji Hyo,

I know it was you who came through that door. The way you walk.. your eyes and your smile just couldn't hide the person that you used to be. Even if you change your name, I'll still know that it's you.. because your beauty remains within my heart. I don't mind if you had to treat me like a student when we're in class, but please let me be your man when we're outside of this building. I've always dreamed of spending my time with my favourite goddess.. and I'm not ashamed to admit that I've fallen for you since your first debut as an actress.

From your no. 1 fan,

Song Kyung-il a.k.a. Ji Hyo's man

 

Her smile immediately disappeared and replaced with fear. She thought that her conversation with Kyung-il yesterday had been successful in concealing her past life, but now it was clear to her that Kyung-il didn't buy in her white lie. Ji Hyo glanced at her watch. She only has ten more minutes to prepare for her class - and to face Kyung-il without showing any sign of awkwardness. "Seong-im ssi.. are you sick? You don't look well," one of her peers noticed the change in her behaviour. Ji Hyo shook her head and thanked the person for showing his concern. Although she was hesitated, Ji Hyo had to excuse herself and headed towards the classroom. The moment she arrived at the door, Ji Hyo froze for a second. Her gut feeling was telling her that Kyung-il is waiting for her arrival, and he definitely will ask for her response to his letter.

 

"Miss Seong-im is here!" her presence was detected by her student, so the only choice that she has was to walk casually into the classroom. She was greeted by the boys in a cheerful manner, but she couldn't help from noticing the way Kyung-il was staring at her face. "Anyone would like to share your view about the literature?" Ji Hyo thrown out a question to the class. The first person to raise a hand was Kyung-il. To avoid from arousing suspicion, she had to let him speak. "I think the author was trying to express his love for the woman that he described in the character, but he didn't have the courage to tell her personally," Kyung-il's answer made his classmates impressed, but the new teacher challenged his view. "What makes you say that?" Ji Hyo asked, to which Kyung-il replied, "Let me show you what I think."

 

The boy stood up from his chair and walked towards the new teacher with a style. Kyung-il wrapped his arms around Ji Hyo's waist and stared deeply into her eyes, "If he truly loves her, he should just be a man and lock the woman in his cuddle.. look into her eyes and said, saranghae.. Song Ji Hyo." Stunned by his bold move, Ji Hyo pushed him away and scolded the boy, "Yaa! Behave yourself young man! I'm your teacher so you shouldn't cross the boundaries!". The students were surprised to see her wrath, but the most confusing thing was when Kyung-il called the woman 'Song Ji Hyo'. The boys were looking at each other and began to notice something. "Come to think of it.. she does resemble the once-famous Korean actress! Could it be.." everyone was playing the guessing game, which means Ji Hyo's secret is at risk.