Can't You See Me?

The Boy Who Can't Leave

(Flashback - 2 years ago)

 

She walked on the red carpet with confidence, and flashes of light began to shower her face. It was her second experience attending an important event in the entertainment industry as a celebrity. Cheon Seong-im, now known as Song Ji Hyo, gradually claimed her position as an actress since she first debut in a mini drama after her graduation from the acting school.

 

Together with her co-star Heechul from her first movie project, Ji Hyo professionally posing for the cameras and waving her hand at the fans who were waiting behind the red ropes for a closer look at their favourite celebrities. She truly loved all the attention from the public especially when they were screaming her name in excitement. Though her lips ached from smiling for hours, Ji Hyo never regret the path that she has chosen for herself. Becoming an actress is such a rewarding career for her and she wouldn't trade it with anything else.

 

"You're looking great tonight," Heechul complimented his partner as he locked his eyes on her. Ji Hyo replied with a beaming smile. The two rising stars became close after working together for almost 3 months, and many believed that their relationship was more than just 'working partners'. With her hand clinging onto his arm, Ji Hyo accompanied Heechul to the seats that were reserved for them. "I'm so nervous right now!" she whispered to his ear as they were getting ready to present the award for best actor and actress.

 

Heechul cupped her hand in his palm, patting it lightly to soothe the woman. He motivated her with an advice before going up on the big stage, "Just take a deep breath and read the script naturally. Imagine that you are talking to me." Few minutes later Ji Hyo and Heechul were summoned by the main emcee as the next award presenters. They walked hand in hand to the rostrum and put on their best smile to the camera. Their eyes were then focusing on the script that was displayed on the monitor.

 

Heechul: Annyeonghaseyo..

Ji Hyo: Annyeonghaseyo..

Heechul: Ji Hyo ssi.. what do you think of the candidates for the best actor tonight?

Ji Hyo: I think they make a good husband for me.

(The audience were laughing)

Heechul: Does that include me?

Ji Hyo: Well if you insist.. you should work harder and get yourself shortlisted as the best actor for the year! Anyway.. I'm sure you'll find a better candidate to be your future wife from the nominees for best actress.

Heechul: That's a great idea! So shall we take a look at the finalists?

 

He observed her moves from the audience seat with a mix of feelings - excited, sad and furious all at the same time. Han Kyung-il became excited because he got to see her in person after years of being apart. He felt sad knowing that she didn't notice his presence among the crowd, and he was furious with the way she smile at the other guy. Kyung-il has been waiting for years to confront Seong-im, hoping that she would still remember him as her 'future husband'. For that, he waited until the event is over in order to meet the actress at the backstage.

 

Her birthday present was still in his possession, of which he planned to give the drawing to Seong-im personally. Kyung-il was longing to find out the reason she had stop communicating with him since she became successful in her career. The last time she did was when he was still unconscious in the hospital after the accident. Kyung-il couldn't reply to her messages or answer her call for almost 3 months due to his physical condition back then. When he finally regained his conscious, he was devastated to know that she has gave up her effort to reach him.

 

He tried to contact her through the same number, but the number is no longer in service. Seong-im had even shut down all her personal email accounts, so he couldn't connect to her even via virtual. But Kyung-il didn't want to end it that way. He traced her activities through her official website, watched all her dramas and movies, read any articles on her and went to every fans meeting that she attended. Kyung-il tried every possible opportunity to approach his old friend, but he was rejected over and over again.

 

There were times when he got really close to her, but she was still 'far' from his reach. Everywhere she went, Seong-im was being surrounded by securities and fans. But on that day, Kyung-il determined to have an access to the backstage. He used his father's position as a wealthy businessman to pay a heavy price just for a fake 'crew pass'. He needed to see her. He wanted to talk to her. He missed his old Seong-im really bad.

 

The door to her dressing room was just a few steps away, but someone stop him from entering. "What are doing here? You can't get in as this place is restricted," her personal assistant blocked the way. Kyung-il insisted, "Ji Hyo would like to see me now. Just tell her that her 'future husband' is here. I'm sure she'll let me in." Her personal assistant went in to inform the actress about his presence, then came out again after a couple of minutes. "Jwesong hamnida. She said she didn't know you and told you to leave," the respond from her personal assistant was as sharp as a dagger that pierced his fragile heart. He chose not to believe what he just heard.

 

"Maybe she will change her mind if you mentioned my name Han Kyung-il," he pleaded for another chance, but he was harshly refused by the guy. Not having an option, Kyung-il had to retreat for a while. He decided to wait at the corridor near to the exit with a hope to bump into her. Almost an hour later he finally saw her walking towards his direction together with Heechul. As usual, the two celebrities were surrounded by people. Kyung-il excitedly called out her name over and over again to get her attention, but to his surprise she just walked by and ignored him as if he was 'nobody' important. She neglected him - again.

 

Kyung-il was speechless. He could only trailed her with his vision, watching her disappearing with another man by her side. She was smiling brightly for Heechul, while he was wrapping his hand around her waist and raked his fingers through her silky black hair. They look like a real couple in love, which hurt Kyung-il's feeling and left a deep scar in his heart. She seemed to be falling for young guys, and so do her fanboys. He read all about it in an article that wrote about ' the type of guy that caught her eyes'. Her taste in man has definitely changed, so he no longer qualified to be in her league with the ugly scar on his face that he got from the surgery.

 

Comparing to his look and appearance, Kyung-il felt defeated by the young and famous men that she met in the industry. He needed to step up his game and prove to her that he can become the man that she desired. For her, Kyung-il determined to sacrifice his 'old face' and 'refresh' himself with a younger personality. Maybe then she will notice him. But as long as she still in the same industry, the number or competitors will keep on growing. He can't let that happen. He wants her all to himself. No man should have her smile as everything about her belongs to him. He won't let her get away this time.