He's Not That Same Guy

The Boy Who Can't Leave

(Flashback - 10 years ago)

 

The 17 year-old Han Kyung-il was alone in the park when a group of boys surrounded him and took away the book from his hand. One of them pushed the innocent boy to the ground, while the others watched in amusement. It wasn't the first time he became the victim of the bullies due to his small size body, so Kyung-il knew that he didn't stand a chance against the much stronger boys. "Yaa nerdy! Jugeullae?! We've warned you to stay away from our girl! Who gave you the permission to be in the same project group with her?!" they shouted at his face to intimidate their victim, and poked his head to provoke him into a fight.

 

From afar, a young girl saw everything. She quickly made her way towards the group and yelled at them like a fierce lioness, "Yaa! Are you guys looking for trouble again?!". The bullies were startled by her loud voice, but later burst out laughing when they saw her in person. "Omo.. it's our cute head prefect! Eomma.. help me please! Hahaha!" one of them scoffed and pretended to be afraid of the girl's presence. Cheon Seong-im has always prepared herself to deal with such mischievous behavior. She knew those kids very well, because their names were recorded in her notebook as the repeated offenders. Without fear, she approached the naughty boys with a strong look on her face, "Let go of Kyung-il while I'm asking you nicely."

 

"Uuuhh.. Kyung-il's bodyguard is such a pretty!" the tallest boy in the group attempted to pinch the cheek of the young girl, but he was defeated by her quick reflexes when she grabbed his wrist, twisted his arm and locked it to his back. The boy was screaming in pain and begging for her mercy, but Seong-im care less about him. "Anyone else wants to 'play'?" she smirked at the other bullies as they slowly retreated a step at a time before running away and left their 'unlucky' friend behind. "Don't let me catch you again the next time I see you bullying another kid. Arasso?" she gave a gentle reminder and released the boy after he nodded his head.

 

Seong-im shifted her attention to Kyung-il who was still sitting on the ground. She reached out her hand and smiled as she said, "Gwaenchana? What was it about this time?". Kyung-il took her hand and finally got back on his feet. He dusted away the dirt on his school uniform while the girl helped him to hold his book. He felt hopeless for relying on Seong-im everytime he got into trouble with those kids, "You shouldn't have done that, Seong-im! Otherwise, they will continue to 'pick' on me." "But I have to protect my 'future husband'!" she defended her action, to which he replied, "You don't have to call me that.. I know we're just best friend." Still, she rebutted his point, "My best friend is like my future husband.. either way you're 'that' important to me."

 

(Flashback - 3 years ago)

 

"You're leaving next week? Jeongmal?" Kyung-il was saddened by the news that he received from Seong-im. The two best friends were holding hands - facing each other as they were having a serious conversation about her future. Seong-im nodded slowly, unable to show her excitement in front of Kyung-il. Yesterday, she received a phone call from an agent who scouted for new faces to be the next Korea's top actress, and she was shortlisted the moment she was spotted on her way to the shopping mall. To realize her dream job, Seong-im had to attend a series of acting classes and many other important training sessions to develop her skill as an actress. So because of that, she had to be away from her home and her friends for at least a full year to focus on her learning before she officially goes into the entertainment industry. 

 

Kyung-il feared that he would be forgotten over the period of their separation, but Seong-im convinced him that it will never happen. "Don't be sad.. I'll write you an email every week and we can talk over the phone during the weekends. After all, you're still my 'future husband'.. remember?" she tried to cheer her best friend who was frowning over the news. "What do I do if you found yourself a new 'husband' when we're apart?" Kyung-il asked in a low voice. His reaction made Seong-im let out a small laugh, "You're worrying too much.. Kyung-il! Don't you trust me at all?".

 

"I trust you, but I don't trust the industry. There are leeches everywhere.. trying to on new people like you," he expressed his concern for her, although he knew that she could handle almost anything on her own. Seong-im was touched by his genuine care, and she truly appreciate his sincerity throughout their friendship. "Gomawo, Han Kyung-il. I'm glad to know that I will always have you as my trusted friend. You're the best thing that God has sent to me," she kissed him on the cheek and hugged him tightly in her cuddle. Unwittingly, her action has led him to ask a question that he never had the courage to utter before, "Seong-im aah.. can I 'keep' you?".

 

She broke the cuddle and stared at his face blankly, "What do you mean by 'keeping' me?". Kyung-il sensed that she wasn't ready for his love confession, so he decided to turn it into a joke, "Ah ni! What I'm trying to say is.. can I have a picture of you through my drawing? That way I can 'keep' you forever on my canvas." Seong-im giggled as she finally understood what he wanted from her, "Aah.. why do artistic people like you always talk in riddles? Geurae, but I want to have a copy of your drawing so I can 'keep' reminding myself of your beautiful artworks. Deal?". "Deal," he replied and exchanged a handshake with her for the last time.

 

In the last few days before she went away, Kyung-il spent his hours trying to complete his drawing as promised. He wanted to do his best in producing the artwork for Seong-im, and on top of that leveraging on his talent to express his feeling for her. Since she would be leaving the city on her birthday, Kyung-il was hoping to give his own drawing as her birthday present. So he chose to focus on his canvas rather than spending the final days with her or answering her phone call. She did sent a couple of text messages as a last resort, but he ignored them because he didn't want any distraction. By the time he read them, it was already too late.

 

Seong-im had been trying to inform him that her schedule has changed and she needed to leave sooner than the agreed date. Because she was very busy with the preparation, she couldn't drop by to bid goodbye to him. Kyung-il was extremely devastated. He was too frustrated with everything and he needed someone to be blamed. So he chose her. He chose her because she left him without saying goodbye, and all he has is the drawing. That night after he realized that she was gone, Kyung-il went to cure his broken heart by going drunk. Unfortunately, he was too drunk on his way home that he didn't notice a car was heading towards him while he was crossing the road. The accident had caused him to undergo a major plastic surgery to reconstruct his face, and finally he got used to his new 'identity' as he 'perfecting' his look over the years.

 

(Current day)

 

"Museun marieyo? I know who is Han Kyung-il.. and you're definitely not him!" Ji Hyo shouted angrily with her eyes gazing sharply at her kidnapper. The man was laughing wickedly as he took a seat right in front of the woman that he captivated. Kyung-il had been waiting for that moment since she left him years ago. He wanted to fulfil his revenge for her action. "You never want him anyway.. remember? You want someone better. Someone with a look like.. Song Kyung-il," he said, smiling mysteriously at his victim of love.