Nine - Tip of the iceberg

My First Love, My Arch Enemy
#Son Dongwoon#
 
I lean my back against the wall while Hyunmi is checking herself on the mirror, making sure that her hair is neat enough. She smiles with satisfaction before finally walks to the kitchen to help Eora.
 
Today is the day.
 
It's already Sunday and Eora must be prepared to the baking contest Kyuhyun brought up days ago. I helped her to decide the cake including the ingredients.
 
Honestly speaking I am really curious about what Kyuhyun wants from Eora. What is his request if he wins from Eora?
 
Eora steps out from the kitchen with the ingredients she need for the contest. Hyunmi helps her with other bags and both of them look tired just by lifting the whole stuff.
 
I approach her and take the stuff from her, "Why can't you just ask for help if you need one?"
 
"Why can't you just help without waiting for me?" Eora sticks out her tongue. "Hyunmi, put the ingredients on the table. I need to grab other stuffs first."
 
"Do you think she will win?" Hyunmi asks me as we walk outside, putting the ingredients on the table Kyuhyun has prepared for the baking contest.
 
"You don't believe in her?" I retort with monotone. My eyes are following Kyuhyun's movement since he is right across from me and he is busy with his own preparation as well.
 
"It's not that... I just... Even Eora has told me once that their cakes are really delicious," Hyunmi looks apologetic. "I just can't imagine if Eora lose..."
 
"She will win," I state firmly and return inside the cafe. "Eora will win for sure."
 
When I push open the door, Eora is holding another bag of ingredients. She blinks in surprise but then a smile forms on her lips.
 
"Thank you," she tilts her head cutely, "for believing in me."
 
She heard what I just said. I can feel heat creeps to my cheeks and, unfortunately, I don't manage to hide it from her.
 
"You look a little bit more like my junior when you're blushing like that," Eora grins slyly. "Wish me good luck then, Dongwoon!"
 
She walks pass me and talks with Hyunmi. I can see she glances at Kyuhyun secretly for times while she is preparing her stuff.
 
For the past few days, I've been holding myself not to act boldly around her since I knew she was focusing for the baking contest. The contest may look simple for others but I know Eora takes it seriously.
 
Eora never looks down on people. She will treat them equally and respect them fully. Even if it's her arch enemy.
 
Yet it feels hurt when she keeps calling me as her junior.
 
Eora, will you see me as a man one day?
 
 
#Su Eora#
 
Kyuhyun is checking his ingredients with serious expression. At the same time one of "Dream Kingdom" staffs walk to my table, "I'm sorry, are you ready, Miss Su?"
 
"Ah, sure," I answer him politely. He bows slightly to me and discusses something with another staff.
 
There are crowd gathering already to watch the baking contest. Kyuhyun publicized it with brochures and posters; the power of media is sure scary.
 
Since it's Sunday, there are parents with their children who look really excited. There are several young couples as well and bunch of teenagers who are waiting for the contest to start.
 
Actually I wanted to reject this challenge but I want to respect Kyuhyun. Not because he is my first love but I respect him as my rival as well.
 
Despite the fact that he is my arch enemy, building a cafe right in front of mine, not to mention his harsh words, I still respect him as a patissiere.
 
At least both of us share similiraty of loving sweets.
 
"Welcome to the contest!" the staff who acts as MC announces out loud. "You are here to witness two talented patissiers to make wonderful cakes live!"
 
"Give your applause to Cho Kyuhyun from "Dream Kingdom"!" the MC looks at Kyuhyun. He bows to the audience with his usual fake angelic smile. I don't understand how he can do that two faces.
 
"And applause for Su Eora from "Sweetest Queen"!" the MC turns to me and I immediately bow to the audience politely. I straighten my body and take a deep breath, knowing that the contest will start soon.
 
I don't think about what Kyuhyun will ask me to do if I lose. Not because I am too confident as well. I've been preparing everything carefull with Dongwoon's help.
 
I don't want to think about Dongwoon's confession either. I'm happy for his feeling and I know he supports me sincerely so I don't want to disappoint him.
 
There is only one thing I have in my mind now.
 
I want to make people smile with my cake.
 
That's all.
 
 
#Cho Kyuhyun#
 
Time sure flies when you are doing something you love. I don't know how many times have passed since I started baking but I finish at the same time with Eora.
 
Our eyes meet for seconds before the MC cuts our eyes contact, "And looks like both parties have finished! Let's hear something first before you can have a taste of their creations!"
 
The MC walks to my table and asks me a question before he hands the microphone to me, "Can you tell me what cake you made for us, Mr Cho?"
 
"It's mille-feuille. It means 'thousand sheets'. The top pastry layer is dusted with sugar and I also use icing to decorate it," I start to explain. "You can taste the chocolate as well from the second layer."
 
"Wow, it's beautiful!" he praises my heart-shaped mille-feuille. "I'm sure the boys can't wait to give this cake to their girlfriends!"
 
"And what do we have here?" the MC shifts towards Eora. "Looks like... a jelly roll?"
 
What? She just made a roll to challenge me today?
 
Is she looking down at me?
 
Now I feel disappointed at her. When she was baking, I was captivated by her serious expression; there's something about her that I can't explain when she made a cake with serious expression.
 
I think my mark for her was too high.
 
"It's a Swiss roll," she starts to tell the details. "It's the first cake I learned to make. I want to share the happiness with this cake to all of you. Remember the first time you did something you really wanted since you were little? This is the feeling I want to deliver."
 
My heart skips a beat because of her explanation. She hasn't finished yet, "It doesn't take too much time so I managed to make two rolls, a chocolate one and strawberry one."
 
"I call it Dream Roll," Eora ends her explanation with a smile, earning applause from the crowd.
 
At the moment, I know who the winner is already.
 
Looks like I only see the tip of the iceberg. I was the one who looked down at her.
 
There is one thing I don't have that Eora has.
 
She always makes the cakes for them who will eat them. She makes it sincerely without thinking about what advantages she will have.
 
I lost.
 
 
 
##########
 
 
 
Children are eating the Dream Roll happily. Some are enjoying the mille-feuille but more than half of the crowd are waiting in queue to taste the Dream Roll.
 
The contest has over and the winner is obvious.
 
Su Eora wins the contest even just with a simple Swiss Roll. She made it with the happy memories she has in mind; the moment when Kyuhyun gave her the very first cake.
 
It was the moment that determined her future, the reason why she wanted to become a patissier. That's why she called the cake as Dream Roll.
 
"You won," Kyuhyun approaches her, putting an expressionless face. He has known his loss and he feels ashamed at himself now. "What do you want from me?"
 
Being the man who always keeps his words, he has prepared himself if Eora asks him to close the "Dream Kingdom". He is pretty sure that Eora will ask for something that will make "Sweetest Queen" gain back the customers.
 
Dongwoon, who notices that Kyuhyun is approaching Eora, quickly rushes to her side. He is proud of her win and he wants to congratulate her while the crowd is busy with the cake.
 
"I don't need anything from you," Eora shakes her head slowly and looks at Kyuhyun. "I just want you to answer my question."
 
"Why do you hate me so much, Kyuhyun?"
 
____________________
 
Author's Note:
 
"Tip of the iceberg" is a phrase which means "Only the beginning; just a small indication of a larger possibility; a problem is much bigger than it seems".