Thirteen - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

My First Love, My Arch Enemy
#Son Dongwoon#
 
I close the door carefully, making sure that I will not make any noise. I step down the stair and head out from the inn.
 
Feeling the gentle breeze, I take a deep breath before heading to the beach. I can feel the sand beneath me while I tuck my hands inside of my pockets, looking at the night sky.
 
It's already midnight but I still can't sleep. Kyuhyun has fallen asleep since an hour ago in our room after the dinner we had together with the other customers of the inn.
 
With the ingredients we bought from the market, Eora baked various cakes to be enjoyed as desserts as a thank you present for her friend. Kyuhyun helped her while I just watched them from far.
 
For the first time in my life, I feel useless. I always think that I don't need to care about what I can't do and focus with what I can do.
 
Talking about being pessimistic, I think Kyuhyun is better in every term compared to me. Maybe I should give up on Eora.
 
People will think they're compatible, right? Two people who share similarities of loving sweets and he is her first love. Who am I to win over her heart?
 
My eyes suddenly recognize a familiar figure, walking alone at the beach without her shoes. She walks on the sand, leaving footsteps behind her. She is smiling with her earphones are plugged in her ears.
 
What is she doing here alone?
 
As usual, her intuition is really sharp. She looks up as if she knows that I'm looking at her and waves at me, giving me a sign to come closer to her.
 
"Why haven't you slept yet?" she tilts her head, taking off one of the earphones. "It's past midnight, you know."
 
"That's my line," I raise one of my eyebrows, "Noona."
 
She blinks and chuckles, "Now you suddenly call me 'Noona' out of nothing. Something changed your mind, eh?"
 
I reach out my hand and tuck her long hair behind her ear. I admire her beauty under the moonlight, thinking about how lucky I am to know her, to be this close with her.
 
"Noona, can I win from Kyuhyun?" the question just came out from my mouth easily.
 
Eora smiles sadly and touches my hand with her delicate fingers, "It's not about win or lose, Dongwoon."
 
"You didn't look really good during dinner time," she steps away from me but still having a smile on her face. "Is something wrong?"
 
"I feel that I can do nothing for you," I answer her question honestly, gazing at the moon. "Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm just your junior who knows nothing."
 
Eora looks at me with a smile. She walks closer to me and plugs her earphone to my ears before press the play button; she is listening to my song.
 
"Your songs are my friends when I bake," she sticks out her tongue playfully. "Even when I can't sleep, I will listen to your songs."
 
She presses the stop button and unplugs the earphones, smiling sweetly to me, "You're special for me and you're irreplaceable. Don't ever forget that."
 
I unconsciously reach out my hand to caress her cheek gently. I lean closer to plant a kiss on her forehead, "Saranghae, Noona..."
 
Her face burns and I can feel the warmth under my hand. I rest my forehead against her while she drops her gaze shyly, "Can I...?"
 
Strange enough I have feeling what her respond will be. She shakes her head slowly and bites her bottom lip, "I'm sorry, Dongwoon..."
 
I smile sarcastically, "Well, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder."
 
"Just in case you don't know," I clear my throat awkwardly, trying to hide the fact that my heart is bleeding, "you are my first love, Noona."
 
She looks surprised with my confession. I force myself to smile because I don't want her to feel guilty by rejecting me, "I never regret falling in love with you."
 
Eora steps closer and then hugs me... in sisterly way, "Dongwoon, somewhere out there, I believe someone will love you the way you love her."
 
"Thank you," she mutters, "for loving me."
 
Then I bury my face in her hair, feeling a tear escapes my eyes.
 
That's when I feel my first broken heart.
 
____________________
 
Author's Note:
 
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is a phrase which means "Different people have different tastes".