Ten - Be swift to hear, slow to speak

My First Love, My Arch Enemy
#Su Eora#
 
"Why do you hate me so much, Kyuhyun?" I finally blurt out the question that I've been holding inside. I really want to know the answer so I can end the enemy-like relationship we have.
 
I do want to gain my cafe's popularity but asking him to close his cafe is not a good way. Even though I don't know whether he opened the cafe to challenge me or not, I have a feeling that his cafe represents his dream.
 
If I really want to gain back my customers, I will prove that I can do it with my cakes. He is my rival but I'm not going to take ridiculous chance to beat him down.
 
Kyuhyun doesn't answer me but I can see that he is really surprised by my question; perhaps he didn't think that I would ask a question as the reward of my winning.
 
"Yah," Dongwoon steps closer to me, breaking the silence after few seconds, "she is asking you a question."
 
Kyuhyun gives him a deadly glare, a sign that he is annoyed by Dongwoon's treatment to him. I sigh and turn to Dongwoon, "It's alright. I'll let you think of the way to answer my question. I need to clean up my stuff first."
 
I turn around and head to the table I used, cleaning up all the remaining ingredients with Hyunmi. I smile when I see the children eat my Dream Roll with happy smiles on their faces.
 
Actually I thought I would lose from Kyuhyun. His mille-feuille is really beautiful that I want to taste it.
 
"I haven't tasted your cake," Dongwoon speaks out when we're already in my kitchen, washing the tools. I ask Hyunmi to buy the ingredients since I need them for tomorrow.
 
I turn off the faucet and walk to the refrigerator, taking out a still new Dream Roll. It's my first attempt which I baked this morning.
 
"Here you go," I place it in front of him. I grin wider, "I know you will be nagging about it so I save one for you."
 
Dongwoon looks at me with wide eyes. He blinks for numerous times before taking a slice of the cake and bites it slowly.
 
His lips form into a curve and I know that he likes the taste. Dongwoon rarely smiles and I actually like his smile; it's charming and dazzling at the same time.
 
"Thank you," I tell him, "for helping me. I think I win because of your help as well."
 
He finished the slice in silence before he asks me a ridiculous question, "Does it really bother you why he hates you?"
 
I frown and cross my arms, "Of course it bothers me. I don't think it's a good idea to increase enemies in my life."
 
"Then does it bother you...," he reaches out his hand and cups my cheek, "...that I love you?"
 
My heart skips a beat as I feel his warmth on my face. I clear my throat nervously and look away, avoiding his touch.
 
I don't hate Dongwoon. It's just I'm afraid to break his heart yet I don't want to lie about my feeling. I don't love him the way he loves me.
 
"You really don't want to return my feeling, do you?" he sighs and looks at the ceiling for no reason.
 
I was going to apologize to him when the knocks on the door distract my attention. Kyuhyun is leaning against the door with straight face, "Do you want your answer?"
 
 
#Son Dongwoon#
 
When Eora looks away from me, my heart aches really bad. I had a faith that she was going to fall for me but when I saw her together with Kyuhyun, an uneasy feeling struck me.
 
Burying deep the feeling inside of me was torturing but being rejected like this feels worse somehow.
 
The cake she prepared for me maybe means something special. Or at least I want to think of it that way.
 
I turn around when I hear the knocks on the door. Kyuhyun leans against the door, looking directly at Eora, "Do you want your answer?"
 
"Ah, a minute," Eora answers quickly and looks at me. "We'll talk later, okay, Dongwoon?"
 
"Eora," I grab her wrist when she is going to walk pass me. "Don't fall in love with him."
 
"Yah, what are you talking about?" she scoffs. "With Kyuhyun? Like that will ever happen."
 
I should be relieved by her answer, shouldn't I? But why don't I feel like one then? I actually become more anxious because of her answer.
 
"Is he going with us?" Kyuhyun glances at me, tucking his hands in his pockets. "We're going somewhere, in case you don't know."
 
"Can't he?" Eora looks at me and him in sequence. "Can't you just... well, tell me the answer?"
 
"I'll tell you in my own way," he answers with bored expression. "So are you going with me or what?"
 
I don't know what Kyuhyun hates about Eora and I don't know where they will go but my intuition tells me that he doesn't want me to interfere their little conversation.
 
"I have some errands to do," I fake an excuse. I look at Eora and finally gather up my courage to land a kiss on her forehead, "I'll see you tomorrow."
 
Kyuhyun gives me an annoyed expression when I walk pass him but I ignore him. He has no idea how I feel threatened by his presence with Eora.
 
 
#Cho Kyuhyun#
 
"That's right. I'll see you tomorrow, Hyunmi. I'm sorry for troubling you," Eora speaks on the phone after she locked the door. "I'll help you with the ingredients tomorrow."
 
She heaves a sigh and puts her phone back in her pocket. She turns to me and tilts her head, "So... where are we going now?"
 
Instead of giving her an answer, I walk in silence, still having my hands in my pockets. She follows me with small steps, not bothering to ask me another question.
 
I never thought that she would ask me that question: why do I hate her?
 
Does she really forget about what happen? The reason why I grow hatred towards her. The reason why I don't want to see her anymore if it's possible. The reason why I act cold towards her.
 
"The mille-feuille looks really beautiful," she suddenly opens up a conversation on our way. "I gave it to you on Valentine's Day before you moved. The strawberry-"
 
"Why do you remember that little things but you don't remember what you did to me?" I cut her words impatiently. Her eyes widen in shock but I continue again, "I hate you, Eora. I really do."
 
"What are you talking about?" she retorts with confusion in her eyes. "I don't understand what you're talking about, Kyuhyun."
 
I smirk sarcastically and continue to walk until we reach a park. I sit on an empty bench and look at her, "Don't you remember this place?"
 
"This is the park where you told me how much you loved sweets," she answers casually. "What's with this place?"
 
"Seven years ago, my cousin came to find you. He acted as me to find you because I wanted to give you a surprise," I start to explain. "He was fat and dressed like a nerd, completed with a thick glasses. He told me everything."
 
"You didn't want to talk to him because he looked ugly. You said you would never befriend with a fat person like him," I clench my fists to surpress my emotion. "I can't believe you're such a person."
 
"What? I-" she opens up to defend herself but I continue again, letting out the words I've been holding inside for years since the day my cousin told me about Eora's real personality.
 
"On the last page of your diary, you wrote that you would never love someone else except me," I hiss coldly. "Looks like you never keep your promises, Su Eora."
 
I am disappointed by her. For her being judgemental of appearance. For her to be kissed by someone else right in front of me. For her not to love me the way she loved me once.
 
Little does she know that she was my first love.
 
 
#Su Eora#
 
"Looks like you never keep your promises, Su Eora," Kyuhyun's words stab me with no mercy. He is serious; he hates me.
 
Unfortunately I'm not the person who will not defend myself especially when I did nothing wrong. I take a deep breath, "Be swift to hear, slow to speak, Kyuhyun."
 
"Now it's your turn to listen to me," I quickly speak before he has a chance to cut my words. "I have no idea what you're talking about. Seven years ago I was staying at Berlin with my parents. I spent the last year of my junior high school there."
 
"I don't know who your cousin met because I was pretty sure I didn't meet you or someone who acted as you at Berlin and I don't have twin as well. You hate a wrong person, Kyuhyun," I shake my head sadly.
 
"And for your information, I don't love Dongwoon," I sigh heavily. "I have no experience in love and I'm alright with it."
 
It feels wrong that he hates me for such a ridiculous reason. He never asked for confirmation from me. He just assumed things and hated me for no specific reason.
 
There are seconds of silence before I ask him a question, "What did you tell your cousin to do?"
 
Kyuhyun his lips and intertwines his fingers, "To find the girl who lived in the address you wrote on the diary. Tell my name and she would know."
 
"I moved eight years ago," I state firmly. "Someone else lived there since then."
 
"Silly, eh, how you hate me for something I never did," I scoff and rub the back of my neck. "I guess I've cleared everything now."
 
Kyuhyun drops his gaze reluctantly. Perhaps he feels guilty after he discovered the truth; the truth that I didn't do anything he thought I did.
 
We should be friends who share one dream together. A stupid misunderstanding and here how we are now, being rivals. I even think that he is my arch-enemy.
 
"In case you don't know, I never hate you, Kyuhyun," I tell him calmly. "I was annoyed by your cold act but I respect you. Besides you are the reason why I wanted to become a patissier."
 
He looks up at me, blinking with confusion. I force a smile and shrugs, "Well, thank you for answering my question. I'm going back now. Good luck with 'Dream Kingdom' then."
 
I turn around, thinking about dropping to check my cafe once again before returning back to my house.
 
All of a sudden, Kyuhyun grabs my wrist, spinning me around. He hugs me tight, burying his face in my hair, resting my head on his chest.
 
He whispers softly for me to hear.
 
"I'm sorry."
 
____________________
 
Author's Note:
 
"Be swift to hear, slow to speak" is a phrase which means "Listen carefully before speaking".