Two - Less is more

My First Love, My Arch Enemy
#Su Eora#
 
"Done!" I speak to myself, admiring the strawberry cake I just made. I have closed the shop thirty minutes ago and I have let both Kyuhyun and Hyunmi to return first.
 
Strawberry cake is my favorite cake. This time I try to combine it with chocolate since most of my customers like chocolate. I want to make a new cake to be featured this month.
 
I take my digital camera, ready to snap a picture so I can show it to Hyunmi tomorrow. When I lift up the camera, someone snatches it away from me. As I turn around to see who it is, the person presses the capture button.
 
Kyuhyun just took a picture of me.
 
"Y-Yah!" I protest and try to take the camera back but he steps backward with his usual evil smirk. I take a step closer to him, trying to reach for my camera. "Give it back to me!"
 
"What are this pathetic girl doing alone?" he moves my camera from his right hand to left hand, throwing it over in the air. "I thought the shop is empty until I found the door is unlocked."
 
"You are supposed to be home," I groan, feeling like a fool. "What are you doing here, Kyuhyun?!"
 
"I left my phone here," he walks to the table behind me and I just realize that there is indeed a phone on the table. He takes it and then turns to me. "You didn't look what's on my phone, did you?"
 
I roll my eyes, "I didn't even realize that there was a phone there. I don't have any interest of your phone either. Now return my camera, okay? I still have work to do."
 
"I don't want to," he answers with monotone. I really want to wipe that cocky smirk from his face! "Try to get it from me. Why don't you amuse me?"
 
My jaw drops after he said the challenge calmly. What's wrong with this guy?! Why is he making everything so difficult for me?!
 
"Look, Kyuhyun, I have endured your selfish, arrogant, and evil attitude for two months. I don't care as long as you don't interrupt my works but, really, Kyuhyun, I don't understand why you hate me so much!" I finally blurt out my inner thought out loud.
 
I can't believe I said that to him. I feel a little bit relieved though.
 
Kyuhyun doesn't answer me but his smile disappears. His gaze becomes really cold as he stares at me without a word.
 
"I don't want to see you again, Eora," he mumbles and puts my camera in his pocket. "I never want to. Never."
 
His words pierce my heart. I know that he is my first love and I don't have any feeling towards him anymore, except annoyance and disappointment perhaps, but still... his cold words hurt me a lot.
 
"Goodbye," he turns around and leaves me dumbfounded in my kitchen.
 
"What...," I murmur to myself, not even bothering to stop him because I'm too busy remembering about what happened in the past that makes him hate me so much.
 
The sound of footsteps catches my attention so I quickly look up, hoping that Kyuhyun returns so we can talk properly.
 
But it's not him.
 
 
#Son Dongwoon#
 
Whenever I don't feel like going home or working, I always end up wandering around randomly or walk to the cafe. I know the cafe must has closed now but I have a feeling that Eora is still inside.
 
Just when I almost touch the door knob, someone swings the door open. I take a step backward in surprise when Kyuhyun steps out from the cafe. He gives me a quick glance before walking pass me.
 
I never really talked to him. In fact I don't even remember if I have talked to him before. I never had a conversation with this Cho Kyuhyun and I don't think I need to.
 
Not that I hate him or else but I don't want to complicate myself with things that don't have connection with me.
 
Eora is the only exception.
 
She dived in my life even without my permission. She barged in without even bothering whether if I was alright with it or not. She developed her own irreplaceable presence.
 
I open the door and walk to the kitchen, the only place where Eora will be whenever she has closed the cafe but has not returned yet.
 
She is standing alone, staring at the floor with puzzled look. When I step closer, she looks up but her expression changes immediately when our eyes meet.
 
Eora is not a difficult person to read.
 
"Yah, what was he doing just now?" I ask her and approach her. She turns around and I can see a new strawberry cake on the table; she just made it.
 
"Nothing," she answers me and then takes a knife to slice the cake. She puts a piece of it on a small plate and hands it to me with no change of expression. "Do you want to try it?"
 
I take the cake but I don't eat it. We stare at each other until she finally takes the plate from me and takes a spoon of it, "It's alright if you don't want to eat it. I'll just-"
 
Right when she is going to eat the cake, I lean closer and take the bite of the cake. I straighten my body and look at her, "Who said I don't want to eat it?"
 
Eora puts the small plate on the table and heaves a sigh, "He hates me. He really, really hates me."
 
Is she talking about Kyuhyun? "And why does he hate you?"
 
"I hope I know," she puffs her cheeks and taps her fingers on the table. "Looks like he becomes worse because I don't remember about what I did to him in the past. It's just... hurt to hear someone hates me that much."
 
As usual. One may look at her as the honest girl who talks out loud her thought but I know that she is actually an introvert; she doesn't talk much especially to the one who doesn't really close to her.
 
I dare to say that I am one of her closest friends. She has other friends but they are busy with their own lives while I keep contact with her even after graduation.
 
"You will come back tomorrow, right?" she asks me, putting the cake in the refrigerator. "Are you going to come around lunch time?"
 
"Why?" I ask her simply.
 
"Because you are going to eat the rest of the cake. It's not sold yet, you know," she takes off her apron and grabs her jacket. "I'm going back now. Come on or I will lock you here."
 
I feel a tug in my heart when I know I'm the first one who ate her cake.
 
Can I count it as a special treatment... or is it just because Eora thinks of me as her junior?
 
 
#Cho Kyuhyun#
 
I stare at the camera I took from Eora this evening. I turn it on to see the result of the picture, the one I took when Eora just turned around to look at me.
 
"You haven't changed," I murmur to myself. "Still the expressive and stubborn girl."
 
I never expected that I would meet her again after I returned from New York. I obeyed when I was ordered to work in a favorite cafe around the area to understand the circumstances but I didn't think Su Eora is the owner of the cafe.
 
Ten years have passed and I think it's impossible for us to meet again.
 
However looks like the Goddess of Fortune loves to joke around. I met her again on the first day of my arrival in Seoul.
 
"Why should it be you?" I rest my head on my arm while I stare at the picture. "Of all people in the world, it should be you..."
 
"Kyuhyun?" someone knocks my bedroom door. I quickly turn off the camera and hide it in my shelf. "Are you inside?"
 
"Yes," I respond and he opens the door. My uncle steps inside and puts the file on my table, "Everything is prepared for you. You just need to sign it and, vice versa, we're ready to knock 'Sweetest Queen' out from the market."
 
"Thank you for your hard work for two months, Kyuhyun," he pats my shoulder with a proud smile. "Now we can show that little girl that our new cafe will be so much better than hers."
 
I touch the contract, thinking about whether to sign it right away or not. After seconds of hesitation, I take my pen and read the contract in one glance before sign on the dots.
 
"Welcome to the world of business, Owner of 'Dream Kingdom' Cafe, Cho Kyuhyun," he laughs happily and grins. "I will help you, Kyuhyun, don't worry. Everything will be just good."
 
"Yeah," I mumble. "After all, less is more. Everything just needs some times."
 
Su Eora, be ready to face your rival.

____________________


Author's Note:

2012 is here. I'm going to start regular update for this story.
Please do love Eora, Kyuhyun, and Dongwoon !

Happy New Year 2012 everyone ! :)


"Less is more" is a phrase which means "
The notion that simplicity and clarity lead to good design".