Chapter 16

The Vampire and Six Half-vampires

After classes, we were once again in Infinite’s apartment.

“Don’t worry, people weren’t suspecting anything bad. They’re just gossiping about us being the new gangsters and Jaesuk doesn’t like it that’s why he’s attacking us.”Sungyeol said. “And they also say that Myungsoo’s reaction earlier was due to his girlfriend being hurt.” He added.

“We’re lucky that they have that kind of reaction. I don’t think Jaesuk and Taeho will stop though.”Dongwoo commented.

“I saw something earlier. It has to do something with Seolyeon. We have to be alert; it might be a trap.”

“Why is he doing this anyway? What’s his gain if you guys do get publicize?”Raim asked.

“Yeah, and if you do guys get killed because humans don’t accept you, what is it to him?”Gayoung added.

“W-wait. I think Jaesuk is still unconscious and dreaming. I’m getting something.”Sunggyu said. The rest of us anxiously waited.

 

Jaesuk was crying. His stepdad was mad at his mom—they were fighting.

“Yeobo, please control yourself. Jaesuk is watching.” His mom cried.

“I don’t care about that goddamn child!Ah, I know. Why don’t I play with our little Jaesuk?” He smirked.

“Andwae!Jaesuk-ah, run! Run away from here!”

Jaeukshook his head.“Iwon’tleave you, eomma!”

“Listen to me! Please!” She cried.

He hesitantly headed for the door, but with his stepdad’s surprisingly fast speed, the door was blocked. His stepdad grabbed his neck and lifted him off the ground; his eyes were glowing red.

“Eo-eomma!” He was choking.

Then, smell of blood filled the room. They turned to his mom’s direction—she cut herself with a broken glass. Fangs showed from his stepdad’s teeth. He let go of him and attacked his mom. Before he could even comprehend what was happening, his stepdad already sank his fangs on his mother’s neck.

“Eo-eomma…eomma…” He cried. He was staring at her now half-opened eyes.

“Run.” She whispered with her weak voice, but he was able to hear it.

With unsure steps, he headed out of the house and watched from the window outside.

Once his mom was dead, his stepdad’s eyes returned to its original color and he himself seemed to return to his sane self and realized what he had just done.

“No…no…no!!!” He cradled his wife’s body in his arms. “I’m sorry…I’m so…sorry…what have I done? I’m a monster!!!”

He then started to make fire inside the house and Jaesuk, with his own eyes, saw his stepdad ripped his body parts and burn himself. He ran away before the house could completely burn down.

Considering his young age, with too much incidents in a day, it wasn’t good for Jaesuk. He kept running and running until everything became black.

 

“And once he opened his eyes, he was already in a place of gangsters. That’s where he grew up.”Sunggyu finished.

“That means he thinks you guys are monsters because of his past experience?”Hyunsoo asked.

“We can’t blame him, though. His point of view is considerable, especially witnessing such incident at a young age.”Yohan answered him.

“We have to make a solution fast. Now that we know that he knows how to kill our kind, he might plan something we won’t expect.”Woohyun suggested.

“I’m afraid…there’s no solution to our problem.”Sungjong stated. We all turned our heads to him. He sighed before continuing. “I had a vision. No matter what we do, he won’t change his mind. He wants all of us dead, but he doesn’t want to taint himself. That’s why he wants to publicize our identity so that the human kind will all agree to kill us.”

“N-no…w-wait…but you told me I would turn into a vampire because of Myungsoo! If all of you are going to die, then what you said to me before was all bull?!” I was mad, really mad.

“Calm down, Seol.Sungjong’s visions are limited, but they are all true. That vision of you turning into a vampire could only mean two things.”Dongwoo said.

“W-what?” I was afraid to hear his answer.

“Either all seven of us will survive this or only Myungsoo will, BUT!”

“But Sungjong also had a vision before that people will let us live if Myungsoo gets killed.” Hoya finished it for Dongwoo.

“So the situation we have right now is still confusing. We might get to know more in the next few days.”Sungyeol sighed.

“But we still have to be cautious, to make sure no innocent human will be involved, especially the five of you. You guys are the easiest targets since you’re friends with us.”Myungsoo said.

 

After the very long talk, I finally arrived home.

“Oh, you’re home! Come on, I just finished preparing dinner.” Mom said.

While eating, I unknowingly blurted a question. “Mom, Dad, what do you think of vampires?”

“Honey, what’s with the sudden question?” Dad asked.

“U-uh…homework!Yeah…homework.”

“Well, vampires are known for their blood needs, right? Just like in movies, I think they’re scary.” Mom said.

“What if they really exist and they’re not as harmful as you think?”

“We can’t be so sure about that. They’re still vampires.” Dad said in which Mom agreed with.

I bit my lip. Will I be able to tell them about Myungsoo? If I do, will they accept him? I can’t have my own parents to be against them.

 

I arrived in my room and plopped on my bed. I stared at my ceiling. Everything still feels like a fairy tale. I heard shuffling in my balcony; I smiled when I saw him. I opened my balcony door and hugged him.

“I told you not to over think.” He caressed my hair.

I just tightened my arms around him and didn’t reply. I don’t want to think any of it, for now.

“I’m thirsty.” He said out of the blue.

I looked at him wide-eyed. “You should have told me sooner!” I was about to tie my hair up when he stopped me.

“I was just kidding. I said that for you to look at me.”

I gave him a glare, but noticed his brown eyes. “But you really are hungry…”

“I can still manage until tomorrow night, unless I need to fight with wild animals in the woods then my energy will be drained.”

“Tomorrow night, okay? Promise me. With the situation right now, we can’t risk you to be out of control in public.”

He pecked my lips. “I promise.”

I smiled and kissed him. He pulled me closer, leaving no gap between us and deepening the kiss. I hope everything will be okay soon. Unknown to us, someone was eavesdropping to our conversation.

 

The next day, I walked to school feeling happy and energetic. I slept without worries. But those worries all came back to me when I arrived in our school. Everyone, not just the students and teachers of our school but also the whole neighborhood, was crowding in our school’s open field. I saw my parents arrived as well; they must have heard about the commotion.

“Everyone was rushing here, saying that our town is in danger.” Dad said.

“What’s going on?” Mom worriedly asked.

“I don’t know, either.”

I saw Myungsoo’s family. “Abeonim!Eomeonim! Moonsoo!”

“Seolyeon-noona! What’s going on? Where are the hyungs?”

“I don’t know. I was just with them last night.But I’m definitely sure that this has something to do with exposing their identities.”

There was a platform in the middle with Jaesuk and Taeho standing on it. All I could feel was anxiety. I couldn’t find any of the seven boys nor my four friends.

“Ah! Our main character for the day has arrived.”Jaesuk said which made everyone look at me.

“Seolyeon, darling, why is everyone looking at you?” I can feel Mom is on the verge of crying already.

“Everyone! Don’t be scared. I’m here to save ourselves. There are life-threatening beings in our place.”

 

“What the hell are you doing, Jaesuk?”

“I just want to make a deal with you.I have all of your friends and I would like to know who among them you’d want to be freed.” He smirked.

Nana, Lizzy, and Raina walked to the stage with my four friends being captive.

“Nana?Lizzy?Raina? How can you side with him?! You don’t know what you’re doing!” I told them.

“After knowing your seven friends’ little secret, we’d rather side with some gangsters.” Nana answered.

Then, some gangsters were also on their way to the stage with the six half-vampires. I looked at Sunggyu to ask for some answers.

 

Last night, when Myungsoo was at your place, we ate outside. We had no idea that Taeho put something in our food that made us unconscious. Once we woke up, we’re already in a warehouse with Myungsoobeing beaten up by Jaesuk. He warned us that if any of us use our powers, they will do something bad to you and your friends. When I read Myungsoo’s mind, Jaesuk blackmailed him with hurting his family if he dares to fight back. I still can’t read his mind. I don’t know what he’s planning.

 

Where is Myungsoo?

 

I don’t know. He was separated from us.

 

“Looking for your prince charming, hm?”

“Where is he?! What did you do to him?!”

“Before that, we still have a deal to make.”