Chapter 15

The Vampire and Six Half-vampires

PE class came. Ever since lunchtime, I was so out of myself; I got scolded several times for not paying attention. I can feel my friends are getting worried about me, but I just can’t help it.

Coach said we’ll be playing baseball this time. Before we start the game, he let us do some warm-ups and learn the rules, how to hold the bat and catch the ball properly.

I tried my best to keep the bothering thought out of my mind. I thank my girlfriends for helping me get distracted. The guys were playing around with thebat. I shook my head; these crazy boys, how can they play with that heavy metal bat. Oh wait, right, they’re strong. It must be just like the weight of a pencil for them. Suddenly, a ball was thrown to their direction and Woohyun got to hit it with the bat with his speed. Students gaped.

 

Woohyun sheepishly scratched his head. “Uh…Reflex?”

I looked for the culprit—Taeho. He’s Jaesuk’s friend. What are they up to?

Then, my eyes widened. Before I could call Myungsoo’s attention, he was already hit on the head with a bat by Jaesuk. Myungsoo didn’t flinch.

I could hear Sunggyu’s thoughts talking to him. Pretend that you’re hurt. People are getting suspicious.

Myungsoo then just fainted. I know it was an act, but I went with the flow.

I rushed to his side and pretended to be worried and scared. “Myungsoo, wake up! We have to bring him to the nurse’s office.”IsignaledSungyeol. He nodded and asked Sungjong for help ‘to bring Myungsoo to the clinic’.

I looked at Jaesuk. He was having a glaring contest with Sunggyu.

“Not bad. Well played.” He smirked, before he got scolded by our coach for hitting Myungsoo.

Sunggyu looked at us. “He knows.” Before we could interrogate him, he stopped us. “Save the questions later. We’ll discuss this after classes.”

 

I can feel that all of us were anxious in the rest of our afternoon classes. None of us was relaxed enough to listen to the teachers. Myungsoo wasn’t unable to attend because he was still ‘unconscious’. As soon as the bell rang, we all exchanged knowing glances. We went to fetch Myungsoo in the clinic first, before heading to Infinite’s apartment. As soon as we arrived inside, Sungyeol dropped Myungsoo from his back.

“Yah!”Myungsoo groaned.

“Aish, you’re so heavy! My back hurts! Why should I be the one to carry you?!”

“It’s much more difficult to pretend ‘unconscious’, you know!”

All of us settled on the couches.

“But how did Jaesuk figure about you guys?”Gayoung asked.

Sunggyu took a breath before starting. “It was during our first week here in the city. We’ve agreed that we’ll hunt only once a week, and that’s every Friday night.Jaesuk and Taeho, being gangsters, were still out in the middle of the night. I didn’t know someone saw us that night, until earlier when I read Jaesuk’s thoughts. At first, he thought we were a bunch of new gangsters in town, not until he noticed our speed and strength. He grew suspicious and started observing us after that incident.”

“So, he’s the one who will publicize your identity?”Yohan asked.

“He’s one of them.”Sungjonganswered.

“What do you mean? There are more?”Raim asked, perplexed.

“In my vision, the faces were blurry, but there were five figures.”

“I’m pretty sure Taeho’s the other one.”Hyunsoo said.

“But how can Jaesuk already conclude that you guys are vampires?” I asked.

“He doesn’t know our exact identities, but he’s sure that we’re not humans. He’s also aware of our individual skills, I think. Maybe he’s still figuring the six of yours, but he knows mine. He talked to me through his mind earlier. That’s why he’ll keep on experimenting until he finds out everything.”Sunggyu said.

“We have to be cautious from now on. We can prevent everything from happening if we manage to change his thoughts.”Myungsoo said.

“You guys have to act as human. Your speed and strength should be controlled. And if there are people who will try to hurt you, at least act getting hurt.” I lectured.

 

Whatever we discussed last night was not easy to do as how we said it. Jaesuk is pretty smart. He’s starting whatever his plans are and blocked his thoughts. Even Sungjong can’t see anything from his visions. During lunchtime, he purposely asked Myungsoo out loud. “I’ve never seen you eat before.” He’s seriously observing everything they do, huh?

Being the seven famous guys in our school, every student in the cafeteria turned their attention to our table. Probably, they’re interested on why the seven guys are Jaesuk and Taeho’s new ‘apple of the eye’. Even their fan girls can’t do any move to bash them for picking on their oppas—they’re too scared to go against the two infamous gangsters.

“I don’t feel like eating during lunch. I eat a lot of breakfast.”Myungsoo answered.

Jaesuk raised his brow, amused by his obvious lie. He turned his look to Sunggyu. They’re having another staring contest. I guess Jaesuk is talking through his mind again, huh?

I tried to get into Sunggyu’s mind. Ignore him. Don’t reply back with your mind.

I know. Do you want to know what he just said?

I gave him a look which meant yes. Nodding at him will only make Jaesuk more suspicious.

 

Frustrated that you can’t read our thoughts? I’ve been very suspicious of you guys. Your speed and strength are exceptionally doubtful.  I’ve seen everything from the ball stopping right in front of Seolyeon, Myungsoo reacting to her injury, the tray stopping midair in the cafeteria, and Woohyun’s‘reflexes’. I think I know what you guys are. Watch me.

 

“Oh really?”Jaesuk continued his conversation with Myungsoo.Everyone is still listening intently. “Too bad, Taeho and I brought something for you. We had PE class this morning, I’m sure you need a little snack to regain your energy. We’re pretty sure you’ll like it. Can’t you consider it just this once?”

Without waiting for any reply, Jaesuk gave Taeho a signal.

Taeho grabbed a plastic in his bag. Everybody cringed at the strong foul smell. I think the seven guys figured what it is.

Yohan, Hyunsoo, take the two girls away from the table. Seolyeon, I need you to get ready for whatever Myungsoo’s reaction will be.Sunggyu ordered through his mind. Our four friends did as told but kept a distance to monitor whatever will happen next.

 

Taeho put the content of the plastic bag on our table. Everyone was disgusted; it was a bloody meat of a pig. I can feel the seven of them are trying to control their thirst. Hoya’s giving Myungsoo pain to keep him still and I’m also caressing his hand to ease him. I notice his eyes are slowly changing their color.

“Close your eyes and pretend that you’re disgusted.” I whispered.

“How do you expect me to eat this? Raw meat? I think it’s not yet even cleaned.” He managed to say.

“If Plan A won’t work, then I guess I have to do Plan B.”Jaesuk grabbed a fork from our table and scratched it with my arm.

“AH!!!” I winced. It freaking hurts!

Everyone was looking at us in horror. What the hell? Are there no teachers around?!

Yohan and Hyunsoo were about to pounce on the two gangsters, but Hoya held them back through his powers. Since the pain was off of Myungsoo , with his speed and strength, he held Jaesuk’s collar and crashed him on the wall. I guess he was really out of control because it made a crack and Jaesuk fell unconscious.

 

“You, monsters!”Taeho shouted. “Jaesuk, wake up! What did you do to him?!”

“I thought you are gangsters? You are not even strong enough to beat us. Once he wakes up, tell him that if he wants to play with us, then don’t drag innocent people into his .”Myungsoo gritted. The six guys dragged him out before he could do more trouble and ordered my four friends to take care of my wound.