Chapter 1

The Vampire and Six Half-vampires

Ring. Ring. Ring.

Ugh. It . I turned off my alarm. I hate waking up early in the morning for school. And now, I had to wake up extra early because we have a 3-day field trip or camping. I lazily got up from my bed and went to shower. After half an hour, I’m good to go. I grabbed my school bag and my extra bag for the camping stuff I packed last night. I bid to my parents before leaving. Oh before I forget, Mom packed me a huge amount of food, my goodness, Mom, as usual. I literally rolled my eyes. I’ll be gone for just three days and she gave me food good for, I think, a month. Oh well, I can share it with my friends, since I obviously can’t finish this all. After walking for a few minutes, yes, I walk to school. It’s a walking distance from our house. I arrived in our school; students were all busy looking for their friends, chatting about their plans for the trip, the things they brought to keep them entertained, and the like. I was about to get into the bus when four students cornered me. I didn’t have to look up to know who blocked my way. My friends were weirdly grinning to me. It looked creepy, seriously. It kind of freaked me out.

 

Oh well, let me introduce them. First, Gil Yohan, he is kind of nerd-ish. No, he’s not a nerd like in those stories where he gets bullied and made fun of. How do I explain this? Uhm…he’s a cool, charismatic, and fun guy, but at the same time he’s just very intelligent. Sometimes, others think he’s weird because he babbles things which he only understands.

 

Next is Lee Hyunsoo, a cold chic guy. He’s pretty popular among girls in our school since he’s the best-looking male student in the whole student body. Not just that, he’s also talented; he can sing, dance, and play the guitar. He’s actually not that cold of a person; he’s just not sociable and not good with people, but once you get to know him, he’s a very kind and warm person.

 

Yoon Gayoung is a quiet and shy girl, a total bookworm who’s always in the library. She’s pretty smart too, second to the class rank next to Yohan. Those two actually have a thing for each other; they are both aces in class, but when it comes to love, both of them turn into fools.

 

Heo Raim is the total opposite of Gayoung. She’s a very loud and straightforward person; some are even scared of her. She doesn’t care about how people think of her, as long as she knows that she’s doing nothing wrong. She’s physically active, too. I mean, she’s very good in any physical activities like sports. She’s like the MVP of any sport team in our school. Surprisingly, the known cold guy likes her and did confess to her, secretly though. Only the five of us know about the confession, because Hyunsoo doesn’t want the ‘fan girls’ to try and hurt Raim. Raim doesn’t care though, as she said ‘I can kick their asses and slap their caked faces. It’ll be my pleasure to have a cat fight with each of them.’ But anyway, she rejected Hyunsoo’s confession; he’s still asking her every time though, and there’s no sign of him giving up even though she turns him down all the time. Gladly, nothing changed in their friendship, personal matters always aside.

 

Ah, what a sweet life my friends have. And here I am, the one and only blocker in our group, oh well, I can play cupid for the four of them though. How stupid I am, I introduced my friends yet I haven’t introduced myself. I am Shin Seolyeon, just an ordinary girl with an ordinary peaceful life. My parents are both loving and caring. I am an only child. We’re not that rich and not that poor as well, our family income is just perfect for our needs. Mom is a housewife while Dad is a doctor. I always take part in his blood donation project. It feels nice to help people in need. I guess that’s it? If you’re wondering, no, I don’t have and never had a boyfriend. I have no interest on anyone, as of now.

 

Back to the trip, we’re now on the bus slacking around for the 2-hour drive. In my case, I’m still sleepy so I’ll go back to dreamland. After two hours which felt like two minutes, I was already being shaken by, I guess, Raim. I groaned. Why can’t I have a peaceful long rest? I groggily grabbed my bags and trailed behind my friends. Gayoung, Raim, and I are sharing a cabin, obviously. As I arrived in my room, I immediately put my things on the floor and jumped for the bed.

“Lazy .” Raim muttered.

“At least unpack first, Shin Seolyeon.” Gayoung said.

“I can unpack later. Don’t bother me, people.” I said.

“You already got a two-hour sleep and yet you’re still sleepy.” I heard Gayoung said before going back to dreamland.

 

After a few hours, I am finally fully charged. I got up from my bed to be greeted by my friends.

“Finally, our Sleeping Beauty is awake.” Hyunsoo said. I rolled my eyes at him.

Yohan also entered my room. “Go and wash up. Everyone is getting ready for lunch. The two girls were already hungry so they went out first.”

I did as I was told. After a few minutes, we went out of our cabin, same goes for the other students, and met up with Gayoung and Raim.

“Had a good rest, Sleeping Beauty?” Raim snickered.

I raised my brow at her. “Is that my new nickname?”

“C’mon, guys, Seolyeon was just probably tired.” Gayoung said. I gave her a ‘thank you’ smile.

 

As everyone was eating their lunch, our teacher stood in front and grabbed a microphone.

“Listen, everyone. For our activity this afternoon, it will be like Running Man’s nametag elimination game. All of you know that show, right? So, we’ll divide you into two teams: blue and red. Blue team will have to have their name tags on their back and they get to hide first to protect their tags from getting ripped. We’ll give you two minutes to hide in the forest. Just two minutes, so you better be fast in hiding. Make sure the red team will not rip your tags until the time of switching. Understood?”

“Ne!” Everyone chorused, excited for the game.

 

We were given a time to rest before the game starts. I think I’m the only one who’s not excited. Well, I’m not really into games. And another thing is I’m the only one in blue team while the rest of my friends are in the other team. I heard our teacher calling everyone’s attention.  The game is finally starting. Heol, I guess I have to hide by myself. I don’t mind getting caught either, though. I walked and walked into the forest, not really caring if I get lost. I was engrossed in my thoughts and oblivious of my surroundings until I heard rustling sounds behind. I looked back, no one was there. I hope it’s one of my friends who will catch me.

“Gayoung? Raim?” I called. No one answered. “Hyunsoo? Yohan?” Still, no answer. “Whoever you are, I don’t mind getting caught. You can rip my tag. I won’t fight back.”

I heard some whispers. “I can hear you.” I rolled your eyes.