[M] Funeral

3 AM THOUGHTS

"It's his funeral today, aren't you going?"

 

Her fathers voice rang and she paused, her finger that was tracing the rim of the coffee cup froze. Her clothes were formal and dark, the color of pitch black. Her hair was managed and put up; but she had discarded her shoes by the carpet and her hand bag spilled it's remains on the table and her eyeliner was slightly smudged. She would have gone, but she changed her mind.

"Weren't you guys close?"

"Not really." came the reply followed by a shake of her head.

"Alright then."

 

Her father exited the room and her hand trembled. She fisted it, clutching something invisible to the eye but her heart twisted inside of her. When her hands shook even more, she laid her palm on the table. Her best friend sat beside her, a worried look on his face as he glanced at her through his glases. Because of her sudden change of mind, he too, decided not to attend the event.

 

"You lied. Why didn't you say you were close?"

She shrugged, her voice coming out soft and strained.

 

"It's easier to pretend we weren't close at all."

"Easier does not mean better."

"I do not want to suffer for someone that won't come back."

 

Song: