Chapter 7

Breathless (HIATUS)

For days after that all Jongin could think about was Jongdae. He wondered why and how he could do something so harsh to Chanyeol. He wondered how anyone could do that to Chanyeol. Thinking about it over and over didn’t help. Jongin was stumped. He secluded himself from others, he didn’t bother talking to anyone and went straight home after school was over. Knowing Jongdae had done all this Jongin figured he could tell the police but by the time Chanyeol said anything it was too late. There was no evidence to run off of was what they told Jongin so he once again stuck, facing a dead end.

Every morning he woke up with his mind rushing and buzzing about Jongdae, Jongdae, Jongdae, and then Kyungsoo… Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo too. Sometimes his thoughts tracked down another path, thinking about the other. What was it about him that always turned Jongin away from the troubles that poked and jabbed at him every day? Jongin’s gaze lingered at his own reflection one Wednesday morning, thinking about the boy that he could never get his mind off of it seemed. Deep inside, there was an unpleasant feeling about it; disgust. Jongin’s teeth bit down on his bottom lip as he looked away from the mirror, now remembering what he was, was wrong.

Jongin couldn’t help to think if others in the school were secretly the way he was or was he just the only one? And it was no way possible that Kyungsoo would feel the same way. Jongin was different, he had been since birth, and this was just how the way it was. Though, it didn’t scare him. It didn’t scare Jongin that the only person he’d felt such a sickening attraction was another boy. But to Jongin, Do Kyungsoo wasn’t just another boy.

He was a phenomenon beyond words and comparison. A sweet dream in Jongin’s dull, bleak life. He was the soft touch that made Jongin’s day brighter. His name rolled off the tongue so gently, softly, lovingly. Do, Do, Do, Do. Jongin could make a song eventually. His voice hummed a tune in his throat as he walked to the bus stop down the road from his apartment building. It was Wednesday and it was approaching November and Jongin could feel the winter almost nipping at his bare hands. He shivered as he placed in his hands in the empty pockets hanging from his jacket.

At school that day, Jongin kept to himself like usual but met eyes with someone he thought he wouldn’t see anytime soon. It was the lunch break for the day and as Jongin was gathering lunch from the school’s cafeteria he turned to walk towards the table and sitting just where Jongin could glance at him for a second, Jongdae sat with friends chatting and laughing like there was nothing wrong. Like Jongdae didn’t break someone’s jaw and put them in the hospital for a month. Like Jongdae wasn’t even phased from what he had done.

And when Jongdae met eyes with Jongin it was like the world paused in the moment. The blood in Jongin’s veins boiled as his stare turned into a glare. Jongdae noticed his change in expression, his smile ceased and he stayed silent as the rest of his friends carried on. However, they weren’t laughing any longer after that when a metal lunch tray spun right passed them to hit Jongdae straight in the face. The impact knocked Jongdae back out of his seat, his back crashed onto the cold cafeteria floor.

Jongin’s heartbeat was racing, adrenaline was kicking in and he was beginning to feel weak. His head began to spin and all he heard was ‘Jongdae? Is Jongdae okay? Jongdae?’ The almost faint Jongin made his way out of the large room and down a hall, his hand grazing the wall for guidance and support. No one seemed to notice his absence as everyone surrounded the injured student on the floor with a busted look and blood flowing out of his nose.

Well, almost everyone.

Kyungsoo watched it all and never took his eyes off Jongin. Seeing him wandering off worried him a little. He left his table of friends, who were all curiously staring off to Jongdae, and he followed the sick boy to the hallway and eventually to a bathroom. He found Jongin sitting on the tiled floor taking deep breaths.

“Should I call a nurse?” Kyungsoo asked but when he did Jongin jumped from not noticing the other. The air got caught in his chest and he began to choke. Immediately Kyungsoo started to panic as he saw Jongin flop down on the floor completely. The only sound coming from him was a soft wheeze. Kyungsoo swung the door behind him open and raced down the hallway back to the cafeteria. On the way he frantically called an ambulance to take Jongin to the hospital as soon as possible.

“Somebody help! I think Jongin is having a heart attack!” Like it was on queue everyone’s attention moved from the groaning Jongdae to the desperate Kyungsoo. People dispersed to run off to help Kyungsoo with Jongin, leaving Jongdae almost alone and almost in tears.

paragraph+divider+japan.PNG

It was like déjà vu. The same white paneled ceiling, the same lights flashing by, the same clacking of shoes striking the wooden floors beneath. Jongin was almost sure he was going to die any second in that gurney. There were doctors surrounding him with nurses moving right behind. His eyes searched and searched, for what—he didn’t know at first, but his eyes searched for Chanyeol soon. Never finding him, Jongin gave up and closed his eyes once more.

He woke up to his parents in a panic, pleading with Dr. Lim, Jongin’s main physician, to just find a way to make their son better now. Jongin’s eyes remained shut but he never stopped listening to the fear and fright in his parent’s voices. He knew they were tired. They were tired for years when on and on they delayed surgery for Jongin, but now it was time. It was time to stop putting Jongin’s life at risk.

Doctors came in and out of the room for a couple of hours to negotiate with Jongin’s parents and come to solution. There wasn’t much of a progress, Jongin thought as he heard the door close for the final time as his parents left him alone finally. But, his ears perked up when he had a very familiar person’s voice ring through his ears. His head slowly rose from the soft pillow after he opened his eyes. There in the door frame sat Chanyeol in a wheelchair and a cozy looking robe.

 “Jongin’s awake,” a voice pitched in, but not Chanyeol’s. Kyungsoo squeezed his body to fit in the door frame. Jongin looked at him in a daze and seeing Kyungsoo’s small smile quickly lit up the room for Jongin. He couldn’t help but smile back. “Hey,” Kyungsoo said to the boy in bed.

“What happened?” Chanyeol asked. Jongin sighed since he suddenly didn’t want to tell Chanyeol anything.

“Let’s talk about it later,” Jongin said. “But hey, you can talk!”

The response left Chanyeol confused and slightly worried. “Since yesterday,” he replied.

Kyungsoo pushed him into the room and closed the door behind him. Finding a seat, Kyungsoo sat beside Chanyeol and silently fiddled his thumbs around in his lap. Doing something so simple, Jongin couldn’t even keep his eyes off him then. Chanyeol noticed and took note.

Clearing his throat, Chanyeol spoke up, “how come you haven’t been coming by lately?”

“Uh,” Jongin shrugged. He asked himself that, too. “I’ve just been distracted.”

Unsatisfied, Chanyeol immediately looked to Kyungsoo. “I need to talk to Jongin alone.” The last word was almost growled. Kyungsoo instinctively leaned away from Chanyeol before completely leaving his chair and room altogether. The boy in the wheelchair looked back to his best friend who looked beyond embarrassed.

“Why did you do that—?”

“What the hell happened today, Jongin? I can’t be there right now everywhere to help, so why are you getting yourself into messes now?” Chanyeol’s deep voice was coming back and it was more intimidating than Jongin remembered. He couldn’t hold his tongue anymore anyway.

“Don’t hate me,” Jongin started and Chanyeol interrupted with a sigh.

“What did you do…?”

“I couldn’t stand him sitting there, looking like nothing was wrong.” Jongin muttered through his teeth. He knew it wasn’t okay for him to think about him right now, knowing damn well that his heart was so weak now. “He didn’t care about anyone else, he never did.”

“Who?”

“Jongdae,” Jongin replied flatly. He watched Chanyeol’s face flash with numerous emotions. He soon looked back at Jongin in fear, the color running out of his face. “It was kinda funny, though, Chanyeol. If only you were there. I gave him what he deserved.” Jongin started to chuckle under his breath, “I threw my tray at him and it hit him right in the face. But I think the adrenaline got to me and I ended up here.”

“… Why?” Chanyeol’s voice trembled. “Why Jongin? Why did you do that?”

“What do you mean? Did you forget what he did to you?”

“It doesn’t matter.”

“Why doesn’t it?”

Chanyeol thought for a bit, thinking how to express what he thought about Jongdae. How he thought he was such a threat to everyone that crossed him. He saw this on that day almost two months ago. He knew Jongdae would take things too far one day.

“Jongdae is dangerous,” Chanyeol answered finally. Jongin’s breathing hitched. He hadn’t thought about that. Jongin knew exactly what Chanyeol was talking about. “He could hurt you, Jongin.”

“If he did, I’d report him to the police and they’d catch him this time.”

“He could hurt you. Bad,” Chanyeol restated himself. The other froze in place. “I’ve seen it, the way he looked at me that day. It was there in his eyes.”

“Let’s not overthink it, Chanyeol, please.”

“Is there something going on between you two by the way?” Chanyeol cocked his head toward the closed door. Jongin was confused.

“Who?”

“You and Kyungsoo?” For a moment, Jongin was absolutely speechless. He couldn’t even think of something to say. It was such a weird question and why would Chanyeol be asking that now? It wasn’t what they were talking about, it was so random.

“Of course not, Chanyeol. You know I’m not—”

“Yeah, gay, I know.” The way Chanyeol replied pinched at Jongin, it really bothered him. He sounded slightly annoyed or maybe Chanyeol just stopped believing him. The air in the room changed along with the mood. The best friends were slowly falling apart.

paragraph+divider+japan.PNG

Later that day when Jongin was released to go home, Kyungsoo joined him outside as he waited on his parents who were still visiting with the hospital staff. After what Chanyeol said, Jongin fell into that silent place again that he had been for days. He told Kyungsoo about it while standing outside in the cold weather. They bother slightly shivered.

“If he really is that dangerous like you say, why hasn’t anyone done anything about him and what he did to Chanyeol?”

“There was no evidence that Jongdae did it but I know he did, Chanyeol wouldn’t lie.”

Kyungsoo nodded and looked across the street. They watched people pass by living their lives then a thought popped into Kyungsoo’s head. He laughed lightly, pointing at the tall building across the street from the hospital.

“Do you remember that day when we met out here?” Kyungsoo asked jongin.

Of course he remembered, Jongin wanted to say. “Um, yeah, I think so.”

Kyungsoo’s gaze followed the towering residential structure, “I lied about living there. I just didn’t want to talk about my grandmother at the time. No one knew.”

“Oh,” Jongin nodded but honestly didn’t feel too surprised. It was such a coincidence, he thought, that that day when they bumped into each other. It was a small world. Their conversation was cut short when Jongin’s parents called for him to go home.

“I’ll see you tomorrow,” Kyungsoo said. His smile was warm, it was real. It was what Jongin waited to see when he woke up and what he dreamed of when he went to bed.

“Yeah, tomorrow, at school,” Jongin replied, a little flustered. His tongue was tied almost, there was a feeling in his chest that he got every so often with Kyungsoo. Nervousness and happiness together. It was a feeling Jongin would soon come to love.

That night, Jongin stared at his ceiling, thinking about Kyungsoo. There was no room for anyone else. It was Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo, Do Kyungsoo. It was Kyungsoo during soccer, Kyungsoo bumping into him that one day, Kyungsoo talking to him on the soccer field and he thought about how close they had gotten in such a short time. Was he dreaming? Was it real? He wanted to hit himself to make sure. He ran his hands around his bed sheets, getting the sense of touch, knowing it was real.

Jongin dreamed of Kyungsoo that night. Little did he know that the other would be doing the same about him.

paragraph+divider+japan.PNG

a/n: finally i think we're getting somewhere with the whole kaisoo. sorry that it's taken so long but you can't rush the beautiful things in this world lolol.
i had time to update. my finals are about two weeks away and i'm not worrying about them right now. also this chapter might sound weird or something because it is a litte rushed. It's 1:48 AM right now and I have to wake up at  9 AM but i just wanted to leave a small update for you guys.

The next chapter should talk more about Kyungsoo~