Chapter 5

Breathless (HIATUS)

When a few days passed, Jongin did his best to stick with his plan. Avoid Kyungsoo. Fortunately, Kyungsoo was nowhere around during that span of time so Jongin didn’t have to worry much at all after all. He was, however, curious about Kyungsoo. He stayed up late at night doing his homework but in the back of his mind he wondered what happened to Kyungsoo. Why wasn’t he in school? Or at soccer practice? It was odd for a student miss three days altogether and maybe—just maybe, Jongin was a little worried.

Of course, he wouldn’t admit to that.

When Thursday had come to roll around, Jongin’s parents were called by the local hospital to come in for an appointment to further discuss Jongin’s overall well-being in the past couple of weeks. After school, Jongin went straight to the bus stop nearby, not waiting on Chanyeol to leave since he was out and about doing other things (probably hanging around Sehun and Baekhyun again). All the while, it was wrong, but Jongin had his mind on Kyungsoo. What was it about him that always got him a little too nervous, or excited? Jongin didn’t know and, in fact, he really didn’t want to know the answer to that.

The dream from earlier that week left Jongin consciously aware of something that he never was aware of before. His uality was at stake, Jongin didn’t know how to fight anything or any feeling. He never thought he would feel something so strange for another guy. When Jongin thought it was just strict admiration that was never the entire truth. There was more to it, Jongin realized, and he was terrified to know what it was. He didn’t want to be any more different than he already was. To be gay? In this age? No, it would have just been absurd.

When the bus arrived at the hospital, Jongin immediately spotted his parents out in the front lobby doors. He stepped off the bus and met them for a short hug. Honestly, Jongin was too distracted to understand much of what the doctor was telling his parents other than now was the time to join the donor list and how long it could take to find one. They went over certain rules regarding the entire process and while it would normally freak Jongin out, today was just a little different.

So he left the room to pace around the halls. He looked at paintings that hung on the white walls of the hospital wing and he was a little nosey and decided to pop his head into other rooms for a quick second just to see if anyone was in there. No one caught his attention and needless to say, no one even acknowledged the boy that was getting into everyone else’s business.

However, something did catch his eye. He had noticed it before but never thought about checking it out. In the middle of the hospital there was a small courtyard, probably for patients to get a nice breath of fresh air from staying in doors for so long. Colored flowers spotted the green grass here and there and there was a small bird bath just right off the center of the grounds. A couple of benches sat across from each other and while usually they were both empty, today was just a little… different.

An elderly woman sat by herself. She had her eyes locked on the clouds above her but when she noticed Jongin looking at her from inside the hospital; she gave him a warm smile. Oddly, Jongin just didn’t feel the sense of a stranger. He felt like he had known her from somewhere, the smile really, which is what lured him to go and talk to her. He sat on the wooden bench beside her after bowing.

“Hello,” was all he said. She said hi back before looking up to the clouds again. Jongin joined her but was a bit confused since it looked like she was studying something very hard. Another thing also piqued his interest too.

“Grandmother, are you a patient here?” Jongin asked.

“Yes, for a couple of months now.” The old woman answered but without taking her eyes off the slow moving puffs in the sky. She patted her chest, “my old heart is slowly giving up.”

“Ah,” was all Jongin said. He understood what she felt suddenly. “My heart is old, too.”

The woman laughed, “You are so young! You look very healthy.”

Jongin shook his head, “I was born with a heart condition. Con Heart disease.” Her eyes sank a little and her smile disappeared.

“But, you are so young. How can you get better?”

“Surgery,” Jongin answered and they were quiet for a moment. The old woman couldn’t believe such a young boy would need such a serious surgery.

“I’ve heard some awful stories,” the woman said and Jongin looked over to her. Stories? Like what? He had never heard of anything before.

“What do you mean?”

“Well,” she cleared , “I had heard of this woman who had surgery just like you. The heart was from a man who died in a motorcycle accident, who loved women and bikes so much. He also dressed a certain way. But when his heart was placed into her body, suddenly the woman started to act differently. She had a sudden obsession with motorcycles and she became gay. She even wore the clothes that man used to wear.”

After all that, Jongin was pretty speechless. He had never heard of something like that but then again he had never bothered to research anything that weird. Either she was a great story-teller or she wasn’t lying, it made Jongin begin to worry a little. Surely, it couldn’t be possible but the heart really is a powerful thing.

“I’ve never heard that before, grandmother.” Jongin said finally. The old woman nodded ferociously.

“It’s true, very true. It can happen.” And then she went back to the clouds.

Jongin decided to leave after telling her goodbye. She didn’t say anything back; she was too focused on the damn clouds. Surely, that woman was just a little crazy.

“Grandmother, I brought back tea for—” Jongin turned around when he heard someone come out to the courtyard. What a small world, Jongin thought. Things made more sense now, like how he could’ve sworn he just recognized that older woman in some way.

Kyungsoo stood there with two white cups in his hands. He was a little surprised to see Jongin here.

Jongin got that familiar feeling in his chest and he couldn’t tell if it was good or not to be happening now. “This is your grandmother?” Jongin asked and Kyungsoo silently nodded. Quickly, he walked passed Jongin to give his grandmother her cup of tea.

“This is Jongin, he’s a classmate.” Kyungsoo told his grandmother.

“Watch out, he’s going to become a gay man who likes motorcycles and leather, studded jackets.” His grandmother mumbled but Jongin still heard it all. Kyungsoo hushed her; embarrassed that she said that so suddenly.

He separated himself and Jongin from his grandmother. “Sorry,” Kyungsoo said to Jongin.

The younger shook his head, “it’s fine. She knows some good stories.”

Kyungsoo grew a bit confused from that but pushed it behind him, “my grandmother is sick. I haven’t been to school because I’m worried she will be gone any day now. Her heart will fail soon, that’s what doctors told us.”

“Ever considered surgery? A transplant maybe?” Jongin wondered but Kyungsoo shook his head as a response.

“She has said she is too old but I feel like there is something else, like she is afraid of something bad happening.”

Jongin knew what that was about.

“Jongin!” He heard his father call him from the entrance of the courtyard. Jongin looked to his parents before looking back at Kyungsoo.

“I guess I’ll see you later.” Kyungsoo said, smiling weakly. Only then Jongin noticed the light dark circles beneath Kyungsoo’s round eyes.

“Right, I guess.” Jongin said before leaving to join his parents so they could head home. He began to hate himself after that. He couldn’t stick to the stupid plan.

paragraph+divider+japan.PNG

Practice for Chanyeol went by slow for him. He knew Jongin would be absent but without Jongin, things just got a little dull for Chanyeol. After the meet up was over and while the sky was once again painted in reds and yellows Chanyeol rounded up his belongings in the locker room and headed out. He swiped his thumb around on his phone, looking for a good song to listen to while on his walk to the bus stop. However, his attention was too invested in the small lit up screen for him to notice a group walking his direction.

Once Chanyeol’s shoulder was thrown back, causing his phone to slip out of his hands, Chanyeol’s eyes lifted up. Furious, he was prepared to give a stern stare at the person who made him drop his phone. But, who he found surprised him and scared him a little.

“J-Jongdae?” Chanyeol said. He looked around to see three others he had never seen before stand beside Jongdae, forming a small circle around Chanyeol. Even though Chanyeol was much taller and he could fight, there was just something off about this group of guys.

Suddenly, without notice, a fist met with Chanyeol’s cheek in great force. He stumbled back, cupping his cheek hoping it would stop the pain. The air changed, it wasn’t safe to be around these guys. He didn’t even bother to pick up his phone. But soon, it didn’t matter anymore when Jongdae purposely stepped on the mobile device, crushing it beneath his weight.

When the other two boys lunged at Chanyeol, they took hold of his hands to restrain him from fighting back. He tried to pull away but another punch landed at his stomach and winded him. He slouched over and soon fell to the ground completely when he felt another force make his knees weak from behind. A yank of his hair made his eyes meet with Jongdae’s.

“Don’t around anymore, Chanyeol,” said the standing one.

“What are you talking about?”

“Don’t act like you’re better than me, that you can say to me and embarrass me without consequences.”

Jongdae was beyond furious and Chanyeol had never seen him like this. Frankly, he never thought Jongdae had the capability to do anything like this before. Everyone knew he was crazy but not this ed up.

Without any other options, Chanyeol croaked out, “I’m sorry. I won’t do it again.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” was all Jongdae cared to say as he swung his feet and kicked Chanyeol straight into the side of his jaw. Instantly, pain surged throughout his face. His jaw broke. The pain was too crippling to Chanyeol so he sunk into the grips of the two boys that held him steady for the impact. They tossed him aside and left Chanyeol weeping on the concrete. The group of boys disappeared leaving laughs in the distance and Chanyeol didn’t know what to do.

He just needed to find help.

Fast.

paragraph+divider+japan.PNG

Jongin heard of the news from Chanyeol’s parents. It was later in the evening by the time they had called him telling him that Chanyeol got beaten up. Instantly, Jongin jumped from his desk where he did his homework that night and told his parents of the accident. Since they knew their son’s best friend was in the E.R, they didn’t complain at all to take Jongin back to the hospital that they were at just a couple of hours before.

From what Chanyeol’s parents had said, Chanyeol was discovered by a passerby, walking their dog. They freaked when saw Chanyeol laying on the ground almost lifeless aside from the whimpers the stranger heard coming from him. According to his parents, he was so scraped up and his face had bruised enormously. It was devastating to see the one that was always cracking jokes and was always excited about something to be beaten down to this.

Jongin appeared by Chanyeol’s side, following all four parents. Seeing Chanyeol sleeping comforted Jongin but not enough. He was furious, how could someone do this to Chanyeol? Out of everyone, Park Chanyeol. He began to wonder who.

“Unfortunately, no witnesses were around for any leads.” An officer walked in almost on cue.

“You can’t take any samples, maybe to find some prints on his wrist?” Chanyeol’s mother questioned and while doing so she pointed at her son’s red wrists. Jongin hadn’t even noticed until she pointed it out. He quickly brushed the tips of his fingers on the marks that were left behind from the attack. It almost hurt him just by looking at his bruises.

When the officer left after not having much left to say, Jongin turned to his best friend’s mother, “have they said anything about his face?” Jongin asked. She explained the treatment they will put him through and how he wouldn’t be able to talk or eat much for a while. Jongin sighed, knowing how miserable his friend will be these next couple of months. He just wished he could be here for him but it would be impossible.

“I can’t believe this happened to my son,” his mother added as she wept into her husband’s embrace. Jongin took a seat by the bed and never took his eyes off Chanyeol, hoping he would wake up soon. Instead, his eyes stayed shut and his breathing remained shallow. For a while, Jongin sat there in silence with everyone else waiting patiently until his mother pushed herself off the wall to excuse herself.

Curious, Jongin’s eyes the back of his mother’s head. Something just told him to follow her. He left the room behind her but made sure she didn’t hear. Walking down the hall and out of hefty double doors, Jongin slowly followed his mother to the outside of the hospital. There, she sat on a bench near a small fountain and looked at it for quite some time, almost like she was thinking of something.

When his mother reached into her purse, his eyes widened at what she pulled out.

Jongin sprinted to her side and snatched the cigarette from her two thin fingers.

“Mom! Why do you have this?” He looked at her dead in the eye, he terrified and now glistening eyes. “You said you quit, why do you have these? How many more do you have?”

“I’m sorry, it’s only one.” She fumbled with her purse to open it up for Jongin to see, proving she wasn’t lying. “Today was too much for me, Jongin.”

“You can’t go back on your word,” Jongin said, “when you made me the way I am.”

The truth was harsh and his mother hated to hear it. Every day she lived in regret, knowing it was fully her responsibility that Jongin’s life has always been so restricted. From sun up to sun down she beat herself up over it. Tears poured out suddenly, his mother’s shoulders began to shake in sorrow.

“I’m sorry for what I’ve done to you.” She whined out.

Jongin engulfed her into a hug and tried to hush his crying mother. He didn’t know what else to say, Jongin felt so helpless. Today was just too much.

“I love you, mom.” Jongin said, patting her back. Her grip tightened around him.

“I love you, Jongin.” She said back.

They stayed there, hugging, crying, while the rest of the world moved on all around them to leave them behind.