Flying Monks

Project: Luhan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
chapter seven Flying Monks       ---------------------------

 

 

 

The park came into view meters away as I followed beside Luhan with Yong at my trail. Squinting my eyes at the distance, I saw that it was a flat terrain surrounded by metal fencing. There were more dogs and their owners surrounding the premises that I would have expected.

I watched as Nuri ran around in circles that surrounded Luhan’s legs. “Maybe he does secretly hate you too. The dog’s trying to trip you, see?”

“He doesn’t hate me.” He shook his leg free from the line. “Nuri just thinks I’m a Maypole.”

“Oh yes, because you’re just so tall.”

Luhan looked to me in exaggerated offence with his jaw hanging. “You’re the shorty between us!” He gave me a light shove with his elbow against my shoulder.

“I’m of average height for someone my age, for your information,” I stated, shoving him in return.  

Within a few meters of the park, I could tell Yong and Nuri could sense that the park was a human-designed area just for their species because if they weren’t hyper before, they were certainly hyper now. As Nuri heaved forward, Yong followed behind him like his loyal companion.

“Do we just remove their leashes and drop them in?” I asked, nearing the fences that closed off the park.

Luhan gestured towards a sign with his thumb. In bold white, it said NO LEASH ZONE. “Yeah, it’s fine. As long as the other dogs don’t try to eat them. They’re tiny dogs after all.”

I stared at him in horror. “You’re scaring me!” If anything happened to the dogs, Ms. Choi would have me evicted from her building with an order for court appearance.

He chuckled, bending to pick up Nuri after unhooking his leash. Geez, the little traitor didn’t even try to squirm away from Luhan but he made sure very well that he could get away from me as fast as possible. Did I just smell or something? Like something his doggy-senses can only pick up?

“I was joking! But trust me, it’s fine.”

Luhan hoisted him over the fence and Nuri gladly jumped out of his arms and into the park. I thought there would have been a gate or something to let them in, but what would I know. Copying suit, I brought Yong in my grip and released him inside the boundaries of the park. Leaning against the fence, I watched as they took turns running around in circles around each other, mixing in with the other dogs. The park wasn’t so big as to have the possibility of losing sight of them.

“Did you want to go inside too?” Luhan asked me. He mistook my longing gaze at the park as interest and wanting to join the owners sit around in the benches underneath the shady trees.

“No, no.” I shook my head. There must have been something comedic in my expression because he grinned.

I eyed the “ALL DOG DROPPINGS MUST BE PICKED UP AT ONCE” sign and cringed.

“So, how were your exams?” I questioned him, picking up conversation.

“They were good. I think I did decent.” Luhan pouted at some thought. From where I stood beside him, the sun glistening off his hair made him look like some sort of illusion. “I’m glad you texted me though. I would’ve been stuck at the apartment with Sehun.”

“What’s wrong with Sehun?”

“He’s trying to bake today. It usually ends up in a catastrophe.”

An image of chocolate frosting spattered across a kitchen wall came into my mind and I laughed. “Well, I’m glad I texted you too.”

 

 

 

We decided to head back to my apartment complex after spending who-knows-how-long at the park. The time slipped from my hands from the witty conversations I’d be pulled into with Luhan and at the same time kept an eye on the dogs in case of any “dropping accidents.” He taught me how to make music with a blade of grass and he said something about how I acted more amazed than a toddler would have at my new discovery. Before we knew it, it was creeping closer to the late afternoon.      

“Do you think dogs actually like peeing on fire hydrants?” I asked him, gripping Yong’s leash tighter as we began to cross the road.

Luhan’s face scrunched as he thought. “Like the cartoon myth?”

“Yeah.”

“Maybe... Or maybe they just pee on anything that stands still, honestly.”

“Sounds about right.” I glanced inside the Dunkin’ Donuts shop that we passed. “I’m getting hungry. I don’t think they’d let us take the dogs in though.”

As if feeling guilty and understanding my comment, Yong looked over his shoulder at me solemnly.

“I’ll come somewhere to eat with you—”

I thought that I was obviously too excited at his offer because my head whipped to look at him immediately.

“—but I have work in half an hour.”

“Oh.” I hoped that the disappointment in my voice was concealed. “Where are you working today?”

“Library.” Luhan swung open the black gates to the apartment building with Nuri slipping inside, already sensing the familiarity. “A bunch of kids are coming because they have an after school field trip. It’s going to be messy.” He gestured for me to enter the building first.

Doing the honors, I knocked on Ms. Choi’s door. Nuri scratched against the wood. Luhan seemed to have scolded the dog with a whistle because Nuri settled down immediately. It made me wonder if Luhan had any dogs when he was younger because he possessed a lot of know-how. It was like he could speak dog sometimes.

Ms. Choi answered the door a moment later. She seemed surprised to see that I had company with me but nonetheless greeted Luhan.

“Hello, I’m Luhan.” He bowed respectfully. “Jinah’s friend.”

“Oh, is that so?” Ms. Choi’s smile reminded me of a Cheshire cat. “Thank you again for keeping them company. I hope they weren’t much trouble,” she said, taking the leashes from us.

I shook my head.

“Not at all,” Luhan assured. He fondly waved at Nuri and Yong just before they disappeared inside her room with shrill barks and their tails wagging in the air. “It was nice meeting you as well.”

Wow, where was Luhan’s award for the category of “best person to introduce to your parents as your boyfriend.” He was either really good at up or genuinely humble to anyone.

“You as well, Luhan. Take care. You too Jinah.”

Saying goodbye, Ms. Choi disappeared back into her room again.

Luhan turned to me with a smile. “Walk with me out?”

“Yeah, of course.”

We headed out of the building with some non-awkward silence enveloping us. I used it to let the fact settle in that I wouldn’t know when I’d see Luhan again. I’d only gotten hold of the dogs after literally getting down on the floor and declaring how much I missed them. Maybe I’d tell Sehun to bake more to get Luhan out of their apartment.

Standing by the gates, I was scuffing the back of my shoes against the pavement. “So we’ll eat together next time then?” I asked, looking up at him hopefully and attempted to sound nonchalant. “When you’re not busy, I mean.”

His smile made me want to stare in awe again. “For sure. We’ll get ice cream or something.”

“That’d be fun.” I nodded, much too tongue-tied to add anything more. I could only imagine how Hyejung could handle herself around Luhan. She probably built immunity. “I’ll see you soon then.” Taking a leap of courage, I took the forward step and initiated our hug at Luhan thankfully responded to.

His hugs were still the same as the first time—warm and assuring. “I will.” Luhan gave me a final squeeze. “Head inside and eat something, okay? Don’t skip meals.” He wagged a finger at me in warning. “Bye.”

“I won’t. Bye.” Closing off the gate behind him as he waved, I returned the gesture before turning around back into the building with a heavy breath. I thought I saw the curtains from Ms. Choi’s window shake, though I must have been imagining.

Heading up the stairs, I almost jumped out of my skin when I heard Ms. Choi’s voice speak behind me.

“Jinah, if you wanted to use my dogs to get a boy to go on a date with you, you could have said so.”

Looking back at her, she sent me a playful wink. “Oh... No that wasn’t a date. We’re—”

Before I could further defend myself, she had already closed her door.

 

 

 

I gazed at the car keys that Hyejung left in the small crystal bowl with the side of my face pressed against the table. I was bored. Much too bored than someone my age at a Friday should be. There was the possibility of taking the car out for a ride, but Hyejung wouldn’t let me. She just gave it a hot wax and it was gleaming

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter