Missed Call

Project: Luhan
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
chapter twentysix Missed Call       ---------------------------

 

 

 

There were a dozen excuses and reasons that ran through my head as to why Luhan wasn’t speaking with me. Maybe he didn’t have me in his contacts anymore? But that wouldn’t stop him from seeing me face-to-face at my doorstep or in school. Maybe he was too busy with work? Maybe this was his way of telling me that we couldn’t be together again without actually having to say anything to me. Luhan didn’t want to break in the news to me verbally and perhaps figured that I’d take his silence as rejection. He probably figured that I’d cry. Who wanted to deal with someone crying anyway?

But he said he’d love me no matter what. Though how far could  he stretch? He didn’t tell me to never speak to him again that night before I stepped out of his car. Was that enough evidence that I could depend on? I was selfish and inconsiderate of his feelings about the bet, but could Luhan manage to get past those things to live by his words? Hearing him tell me that he still loved me in my head was my last shred of hope for our future.

Staring at the table’s surface in the library, those seemed to be the only thoughts I could focus on. Junmyeon was sorting through his bag after having just handed me his class notes.

“What kind of movies does Hyejung like anyway?”  

I noticed he didn’t hesitate to bring up Hyejung with me anymore. Junmyeon was less shy. I was glad. “She doesn’t look like the type, but she loves sci-fi movies. Why do you want to know?”

Junmyeon visibly reddened. “She said she was going to pick out a movie for us to watch together. I don’t know if the offer still stands, but anyway…” Flustered, he turned his attention back to the sheets in front of us. After he explained to me the gist of the last lesson and highlighted key points on the paper, he wandered to the DVD section of the library. I shook my head at him with a small grin, figuring he’d pick out some sci-fi movie and show Hyejung.

From the side of my vision, I saw a flicker of a familiar figure emerging from behind one of the bookshelves. It was someone I could point out in a huge crowd of a hundred. I hesitated before I lifted my head and saw Luhan lingering by the Action and Adventure section of the library. His back was to me, but it was in no doubt him. Luhan was quietly sorting through books by himself and working.

No, no, no. He wasn’t supposed to be working that day. I thought it was safe to come to the library.

Tucking away the papers in my bag, I stood up and circled past the table before he could see me.

“Where are you going?” Junmyeon called from behind me. He caught up beside me in a small jog.

“We have to leave,” I said without turning around. I spoke quietly, not wanting to be heard by anyone but Junmyeon.

“Why are you avoiding him?” I heard him ask. So he knew. Junmyeon continued before I could protest. “I heard from Luhan. He said you talked to him after his shift a few nights ago.”

I swallowed harshly. “What’s your point?”

“Jinah, he’s still crazy about you.”

I shook my head, biting my lip. Somehow I wasn't believing that. “I can’t talk to him. He has to speak with me first.”

“Did you read that off some dumb relationship book?” He scoffed.

“He said he’d think about us.” Without another word, I continued towards the door.

“Jinah, he asks me how you’re doing. All of last week after your fight—or whatever it is you two are going through right now. He asks me if you're doing well.”

Junmyeon’s words had my shoes stuck to the floor. I allowed another second to let that sink in. “I’m just giving him some space.”

 

 

 

“Is Cherry doing okay?” I followed behind Jaehyo as he led me to the staff room where the very pregnant dog was supposed to be resting.

“She’s doing great. She’ll be due soon.” He unlocked the door and gladly let me step through first.  

Lately I had been going to the pet shop to visit Cherry. It was better than staying cooped up in the apartment. There were never any distractions in my room. But it was what I needed: distractions. Even if Cherry did remind me of Luhan, I came to see her. Everywhere had something to do with Luhan anyway. It was unavoidable. Whenever Jaehyo and I talked, I tried to dodge the questions and topics that he’d relate to Luhan.

“You never bring Luhan with you. Is he sick or something?” He leaned against the door with his arms crossed over his chest, a hint of worry in his expression.

“He’s just busy.” I nodded numbly, hoping he’d drop the topic with my simple response. Cherry put her head on my lap and whimpered as if telling me she knew I wasn’t saying the whole truth.

I wanted to ask him if Luhan had been visiting the pet store, though I was scared he’d instead question why I was asking him when I was supposed to know as Luhan’s apparent girlfriend.  

“Want a drink?” Jaehyo stepped one foot out the door.

“Yes please. Sprite?”

“Got it.” With that, he left me with Cherry.

Cherry was stuck lying sideways on a blanket on the ground with her belly exposed, though she managed to lift her head to stare at me almost curiously.

“You’ll make lots of adorable puppies, won’t you?” I ruffled the fur on her head, causing her ears to flop about.

The door swung open. I expected to hear Jaehyo step inside, though instead the door shut again. By the time I looked its way, no one was there. It was like the door unlocked by itself and then closed by itself again. Not even wind could push that heavy door aside. I waited for Jaehyo to reappear again, but it was silent for another minute.

That was odd. “Did you see who that was?” I asked Cherry.

She could only whimper.

“Did someone come in the shop?” Jaehyo nudged the door aside with a foot as he arrived with our cans of pop. “I thought I heard the front door open.”

“I don’t know.” I stood to take the drink from him gratefully. “I thought it was you who came by for a split second.”

He shook his head, opening the can. “I didn’t.”

 

 

 

I eyed the big truck in front of the apartment building. The closer I got, the more I could tell it was a moving truck—the kind that transported furniture from one place to another. Was someone moving in? Or moving out? Shrugging at the thought, I hitched my bag over my shoulder and continued inside the building. I’d find out later when a new neighbour came by or an old one says their goodbye.

“Jinah, could I asked you a favour?” I heard Ms. Choi’s voice sound from outside her room just as I had a foot on the staircase.

“Of course.” I peered outside where the truck was, wondering if it had anything to do with that.

“Taekyung is moving away today,” she explained, shutting the door behind her to not let one of her dogs squeeze by. Oh, that’s who the truck was for. Taekyung—the boy on the fourth floor who played loud rock music until it was three in the morning. “He needs an extra luggage and he told me specifically that he’d only use one brand.”

I took the piece of paper Ms. Choi slipped to me and read over the heavy-duty German luggage brand that Taekyung wanted: Rimowa. “I’ll pick it up,” I assured her. There was nothing to do that day anyway.  

“Thank you so much.” She passed me Taekyung’s credit card. “By the way, I haven’t seen your boyfriend in a while. How is he doing? Or if he is your boyfriend. I’m not sure, honestly.” Ms. Choi chuckled at that.

I had almost forgotten that

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter