Love Chose Us

Amber's Valentines w/ The Girls

“Krystal, this is absolutely beautiful,” Suzy said, caressing the large agate stone with her fingertip. The vintage sterling silver bangle surrounded her wrist with elegance and class. “You’re too good to me.”

“I’m glad you like it. There were so many to choose from. They make them right there on the island.”

Suzy stood and leaned over the cafe table to give her best friend a hug. “I more than like it. I love it.” She returned to her seat.

“You have to plan to accompany me next year, Suzy. You’re a workaholic. So far you’ve missed Italy, France, and now New Caledonia. You’re in the prime of your life. Enjoy it while you can.”

“I know, I know. You’re right on all points, but I want to hear about your trip. Was there someone who caught your attention in New Cal?”

Krystal picked up a napkin and fanned herself. “Honey, my eyeballs are sore from ogling. I feel like they all can be super models. I’m ready to get my groove back.”

Suzy admired her friend’s crazy sense of humour, but her heavy-laden heart wouldn’t allow her the luxury of laughing. If Krystal ever found out who she was getting her groove on with, things could get ugly. Giving Krystal a weak smile, Suzy took a sip of cranberry iced tea.

“Next month, I’m going to have a pool party. I want to meet this mystery friend of yours,” Krystal said, eyeing her intently.  “She sounds interesting.”

“I…I wouldn’t exactly call her a mystery. We both have busy schedules.”

Krystal took her wallet from her purse. “Well, mark your calendar. No excuses. I want to meet her.”

“Put that away. I’ll take care of the tab.” Thankful for the distraction, Suzy placed several bills on the table. She had to find a way to tell Krystal the truth. The dishonesty tore her apart, and Krystal didn’t deserve it.

Krystal leaned forward, her hazel eyes full of mischief. “I’m not letting you off the hook. Are you going to bring this mysterious friend to the party?”

“Maybe, but don’t expect me to wear a bathing suit. I have to lose a few pounds.”

“Suzy, please. Everyone is all over you everywhere we go. Your beautiful face and body are to die for.”

“Humph, if you say so”

Krystal laughed. “I think you’re gorgeous. I also think you need to take more time out to enjoy yourself.”

If she only knew how much fun I’ve had lately. “I’ll keep it in mind.”

“Good, I’d better get going. I’m picking Bona up early from the sitter. I promised to take her for ice cream. Would you like to join us? She hasn’t seen her godmother in almost two weeks.”

“No, I can’t.  I have to finish up at the office.  Would it be okay if I picked her up on Saturday for a couple of hours?”

Krystal stood, smoothing her tight black dress over her soft curves. “Of course, that’ll give me time to run a few errands.”

Suzy’s insides flip-flopped.  She couldn’t let this go any farther. “Um, Krystal, can we talk a few minutes before you leave?”

Krystal slid back into her chair. “Sure. What’s up?”

A hush fell over the small cafe, as if anticipating her words. Suzy played with the edges of a napkin before lifting her gaze to Krystal’s. She took a trembling breath.  “The mystery friend I’m seeing isn’t someone I just met. I’ve known her for years. We work together, and I introduced the two of you ten years ago.”

The light in Krystal’s eyes dimmed to a haunted, fearful look. “Wha…what?” She shook her head. “Please, Suzy, don’t say what I think you’re about to say. Please don’t.”

“We both fought it as long as we could because of the love we have for you.”

“Are you telling me you’re messing around with my Amber? Bona’s appa?”

“I didn’t know you still referred to her as your Amber. You’ve been divorced eighteen months now. We started dating six months ago.”

A lone tear slid down Krystal’s cheek. She laughed harshly. “Six months, and you never said a word. Not one word.”

“I wanted to, but I didn’t know how you’d react.”

“How did you think I would react? I loved Amber. Although we grew apart during our marriage, I still loved her. We have a daughter. You know how painful the divorce was for me.  Even now, I still care deeply for her. How could you do this?”

“I’m sorry, Krystal. I wish it was anyone but Amber. Although she and I have been good friends for many years, we never expected to fall in love.”

“In … love? You’re in love?” Krystal stumbled to her feet. “You were my best friend. I trusted you with my life. I’ve told you precious secrets. We’ve cried together and what did it all mean? I would have given you the shirt off my back.” Crying, she snatched the tablecloth from the table and all the dishes along with it.  “The two of you deserve each other. You’re nothing but traitor to me now.” She ran from the restaurant.

The restaurant manager rushed to the table, stepping over the broken dishes. “Ma’am, someone is going to have to pay for this.”

Through blinding tears, Suzy handed him a wad of bills and her business card before making her way to the parking lot. She slumped over the steering wheel and cried until her eyes were dry.

*****

Suzy tightened the belt on her robe as she sprinted across the room to answer the door. Please let it be Krystal. She’d tried calling earlier but Krystal had already activated the call block service. Breathless from emotions and the short run, she pulled the door open. Her heart split down the middle. Amber stood on the other side. Her good looks held her captivated. She wanted to throw herself in Amber’s embrace, while also wishing she would disappear.

She smiled.  “Are you going to invite me in?”

“Yes.”

As soon as the door closed, she drew her into her arms.  “I thought you were coming back to the office.”

“Something came up.” She gently pushed away from the comfort of her arms and walked into the living room.

“I hope nothing serious.”

“Serious enough.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“Amber, listen, this isn’t going to work. I think we need to cool it for a while.”

She frowned. “What do you mean cool it?”

“I mean we shouldn’t see each other right now. I need to sort a few things in my mind.” She turned her back to her. Suzy’s mouth and heart were going in different directions. No one had ever made her feel as special as Amber did. She had fallen hard and needed her just to breathe, but she also wanted her friendship with Krystal.

Amber circled and stood in front her. She took Suzy’s hands in hers. “A few hours ago you were fine. What is this really about?”

“It’s just best for all concerned.”

She released her hands. “For all concerned? You’ve given me the best six months of my life. I can’t imagine living without you. And this is all you have to say?”

She pressed her fingers against her swollen eyes. “Krystal knows.”

Her eyes flew open when Amber let out a loud expulsion of breath. Suzy watched as Amber ran her hand over her head and walked to the window overlooking the courtyard. Silence vibrated through the room. Finally, she turned and strode back to where Suzy stood.

“Is this the reason you don’t want to see me?”

“Yes, for the most part.”

“Suzy, I love you. You’re the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. I want us to marry as soon as possible.”  Her lips tilted in a smile.

Butterflies swarmed her stomach. The thought of being with Amber for the rest of her life left her dizzy and elated, but the ugly reality wouldn’t allow it to sink in.  “It won’t work. Think about the effect this will have on Bona.   Although she’s only seven, she’s much smarter than you think. Her mom now hates me. I can never forgive myself for hurting Krystal.”

Her brows drew together. “We’re not doing anything wrong. Krystal and I fell out of love, and we’re entitled to find happiness and love again. I’ve found that happiness with you. Surely she can’t hold that against us.” She reached out and held Suzy’s shoulders. “Please, don’t give up what we have.”

Suzy pursed her lips. “I’m sorry, but we can’t be more than friends. It’s best that you leave.”

Amber’s hands dropped to her sides, emotions stirring in the depths of her eyes. She turned and walked out.

Suzy held the wall for support as her world turned upside down.

(Two weeks later)

“Amber, what are doing here? You look like death,” Krystal said. She brushed past her and stepped into the foyer.

Her brows furrowed.  “Sure, come right in. In case you didn’t notice the time, Bona is already in bed.”

“I’m not here to see Bona.”

“If you’re here to talk about Suzy, save it.”

She came to talk and wasn’t leaving until she finished. “What did you say to her?”

“I didn’t say anything. Why?”

“You must have said or done something. It’s not like Suzy to disappear without anyone knowing where she’s at. She hasn’t been to work in almost two weeks. I can’t reach her by phone or at her home.” She jammed her hands in her pockets. “It’s driving me crazy.”

Krystal crossed her arms. “I have nothing to do with you and your lover’s problems. Leave me out of it.”

“You’re so selfish. How could I have ever…”

“Hold it right there. Of all the women in the world, you chose to screw around with my best friend, the woman who I love like a sister. Yet, you call me selfish?”

Pressure mounted at Amber’s temples as she fought to stay calm. “Yes Krystal, selfish. Suzy walked away from our love because she was more concerned about you and Bona than she was about her own heart. That alone should tell you how much she cares. What have you given her in return? Have you given her compassion or even an ounce of understanding?”

Krystal’s lips trembled. “How dare you come here and turn this on me just because it suits your ideas? I would have never put my friend in this position. You both crossed a line that should have never been crossed. I don’t want to have feelings for you, Amber, but I still do. It’s going to take time to erase seven years…” Her voice broke before she could continue.

Anger seeped from Amber’s body.  She still cared about Krystal as a friend and didn’t want to see her hurt. “Then you of all people should understand. Suzy and I didn’t choose to fall in love, it chose us. If it was my choice, I would have chosen a less complicated situation.” She paused before continuing. “You will always be special to me, and I’m proud to have you as the mother of my daughter, but we must move on. Suzy makes me happy, and I want the same for you.  Even if we don’t agree on this, let’s try to live peacefully.”

Krystal lowered her eyes. “One day I’m sure I’ll fall in love again. However, I would never hurt others in the process.”

Amber took two strides to the door and pulled it open. “Never say never.” She rushed into the night.

*****

Suzy her eyelids with silver eye-shadow. The shimmering colour brought out the softness of her brown eyes.  Satisfied with the perfect application of her makeup, she turned sideways in the mirror to inspect the fitted grey dress that swayed gently above her knees. She had splurged at a local boutique, and it was well worth it. After slipping her feet into a pair of strappy silver heels, she walked through the arched doorway.

The cool evening breeze greeted her as she strolled to her SUV. It took a moment for her to notice the white envelope tucked under the left wiper blade.  She removed it and opened the envelope with trembling fingers. Inside, she found a card.

Suzy, I couldn’t decide whether to leave this or knock on your door. I guess I took the easy way out. I wanted to say I’m sorry for not being the friend I promised to always be. If roles were reversed I know you would have handled things differently. It won’t be easy, but if you would allow me to be a part of your life, I’ll be more open to understanding. Besides, we don’t choose love, it chooses us.  

Love, Krystal.

Smiling, she held the card to her chest.

“Suzy,” a familiar voice called out.

Suzy spun toward the sound. She stood face-to-face with Krystal. “Krystal, I was just reading your card.”

“I know it didn’t say much, but I meant every word.”

“It said more than you know.  I’m sorry for hurting you and putting you through this.”

“I’m sorry for only thinking of myself and acting the way I did. Our friendship means too much to allow anyone to come between us, even Amber.  I’ve accepted the fact that she loves you. I must move on.”

“Your reaction was understandable. I don’t hold that against you.  I need you in my life.”  She sighed.  “I’m afraid I may have lost Amber. I’m going to see her now.”

“The love I saw in her eyes when she talked about you told me all I needed to know.”

Suzy’s heart constricted with hope.  “She talked to you about me?”

Krystal smiled. “Yes, but we’ve got all the time in the world to discuss that. Go get her. You look hot.”

Suzy reached out and hugged her. “I love you, Krystal.”

“I love you too, Suzy.  I missed you so much.  Now, get going.”

*****

Suzy stood in the doorway of Amber’s office, watching as Amber gave something on her desk her undivided attention. She was a sight to behold. Her broad shoulders filled the starched white shirt. Suzy couldn’t stand being apart from Amber another moment much less a lifetime.

“Hi,” she said.

Amber looked up and shock registering on her face. Her gaze left a sizzling trail as it moved over Suzy’s curves and down to her softly painted toes.  Amber began stacking papers on her desk. “What can I do for you, Suzy?”

Her heels clicked against the bamboo floors as she crossed the room to stand next to Amber’s desk. The hardness in the latter’s eyes took her aback. She swallowed the lump in .  “Amber, I’m sorry.”

“I’m not sure what you want me to say.”

“I just want you to hear me out.”

She folded her hands on her desk.  “Okay, go ahead.”

“I thought that disappearing and not seeing you would change the way I feel about you.  Instead, it proved I how much I need you in my life.  I know I hurt you by throwing our love aside, and if you give me a chance, I promise I’ll never let anyone or anything comes between us again.”

Amber stood and shoved her chair back. “For a month I’ve been to hell and back, worrying about you, unable to sleep, eat or think properly.  And now you waltz in here out of the blue and ask me to give you another chance. Well, I’m not a light switch that you can turn on and off when you’re ready. You hurt me. I thought a couple of weeks ago we could get through this, but I was wrong.”

Suzy touched Amber’s arm. “I know how much I hurt you, and I want to spend the rest our lives making it up to you.”

Amber snatched her arm out of Suzy’s grasp. “I have somewhere to be within an hour, so I really need to finish up here.”

She wanted to beg but the words wouldn’t come.  Amber’s rejection stung. The finality of her words seized any hope of happiness. Suzy tore out Amber’s office and up the hall to the elevators. “Come on, hurry.” She pressed the button repeatedly, hoping it would summon the elevator to move quicker.

Finally, the doors swoosh opened. Thankful to be cut off from the world, she sagged against the interior wood panels. The sharp pains ripping through her heart moved upward and hot tears gushed from her eyes. Only Amber could ease the pain.  She had never wanted anything or anyone the way she wanted Amber.

As soon as the doors parted, Suzy stormed out of the elevator and headed toward the exit.  The stairwell door to her right swung open.  Shock rendered her motionless when Amber walked into the lobby.  Her gaze held Suzy’s, causing their heart to skitter. Could she believe, even for a moment, that Amber was there to see her?

Amber strode in her direction. The intensity in her eyes made it impossible to guess her mood.  Suzy took a shaky breath when Amber’s steps slowed, and she walked to where Suzy stood.  Neither spoke.  The only sound was their winded breathing from the flight of stairs. Suzy’s knees threatened to buckle from the love she felt flowing between them.

In one swift move, Amber drew Suzy close to her thumping heart. She wove her fingers through the other girl’s hair. “I don’t think I can survive losing you a second time.”

Melting in her arms, Suzy held Amber tight. The warmth of Amber’s breath against her ear sent shivers down her spine.

“Don’t ever put me through that again,” Amber commanded in a hoarse voice.

Suzy held Amber’s face in her hands and lifted her lips toward the latter’s.  “Never.”

Amber’s mouth covered hers. Their kiss held promises of a lifetime.

 

 

This is my peace offering for all of my subscribers in this collection. I hope you guys like it. Sorry if you see any mistakes. Feel free to comment if you see any.