Part IX

If You

He leaned in and touched his forehead to mine, “From now on, I’ll constantly remind you of how much I love you. Not as my best friend, but as a woman,” his gaze caught mine, “I love you Sandara Park,” he whispered.

 

“I…I” my eyes widened in shock, “I, um, I” my heart raced just staring into his expecting eyes.

 

He pulled away, giving me an anxious look, “It’s okay,” he took my hands into his, “you don’t need to answer me now, um,” he retracted one of his hands and rubbed the back of his neck, “Just think about it, I-I know it’s crazy especially we’ve been friends for so long, but just think about it. Just give me a chance Dara.”

 

I opened my mouth, but the words wouldn’t come out. He loves me…he LOVES me…he wants me to give him a chance??? Can I give him a chance after all he’s done to me? I looked into his nervous eyes, Who are you kidding Dara? He’s waited for over a year for you, he deserves a chance doesn’t he? Biting my lip, I gave him a slow nod.

 

Right after I nodded, a smile broke out onto his face, “Thank you Dara,” he exclaimed as he gathered me in a hug, “You won’t regret it,” he whispered into my ear, “Ah,” he checked the time on the clock, “I better leave, it’s getting pretty late and I wouldn’t want to be beaten up by Chaerin again,” he chuckled.

 

“Mhmm,” I nodded, not being able to fully understand what had just happened.

 

“I’ll be going now,” he smiled sweetly, “I know it’s a lot right now, but please just think about us. I’ll be waiting for you,” he smiled sadly, “No matter how long it takes, I’ll be waiting for you Dara,” he leaned towards me again and placed a kiss on my forehead, “I love you Dara.”

 

“Mhmm,” I nod, “I’ll think about it,” the words finally started to come out of my mouth.

 

“That’s all I want,” he smiled as he pulled me into another hug, “I’ll get going now. I love you.” He gently kissed me on the forehead again before letting me go and leaving.

 

When the door closed behind him, my legs collapsed, my heart pounding through my chest. He loves me…I love him….but am I ready to completely open up my heart to him? What if…what if I become one of his passing infatuations? Can I really bare my heart to him now? Am I ready to do that? Can I trust him to not break my heart again?

 


 

Next Day.

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[September 5]

Hey Dee~ I’m sorry I can’t see you today, things came up and I have to leave on the first flight back to Seoul. I’ll try to be back as soon as I can. I miss you already, I’m sorry I couldn’t stay longer. Please remember my words and think them over, take as much time as you need, I’ll be waiting! (: Damn, I already miss you Dee, I’m always thinking of you. Have a wonderful day, I love you.

 

He’s already gone? My heart started to patter, “I couldn’t even say goodbye,” I pouted. He’s leaving…it was almost like a dream. He was here and suddenly he’s gone.

 

*knock knock*

 

Hmm? I slowly make my way to the front door. “Delivery for Miss Sandara Park,” the delivery man stated as he handed me a bouquet of red roses.

 

“Ah, that would be me…?” I said as I took the bouquet into my arms.

 

“Have a great day Miss Park,” he smiled as he turned and started to walk away.

 

“Thank you, you too,” I called before closing the door. Roses? Who would send m- In the midst of all of the roses was a white card, “Huh?” I walked over to the kitchen and filled an empty vase with water before placing the bouquet into the vase. Removing the card from the flowers, I opened it and read it.

 

Good Morning Dee. This is my apology gift for having to leave so soon. Here are some beautiful roses for you, but of course, they could never compare to your beauty. I miss you and I can’t wait to see you. I’ll wait for you until the last rose dies. I love you Dee.

-Jiyong

 

I inspect the roses and found one that stood out, “Aigoo,” I giggled, “how cheesy can he get?”

 

[From: Me]

[To: Kwon Jiyong]

[September 5]

Have a safe flight and thank you for the roses, they’re beautiful and you’re insanely cheesy, a plastic rose, really?

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[September 5]

Remember that I promise to wait for you and love until that last rose dies ;)

 

Oh. My. God. SO CHEESY! I felt my cheeks heat up from reading his message. Aigoo, what am I going to do with this cheeseball.

 


 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[September 6]

Just arrived in Seoul, now back to reality and work. Wish you were here, love you.

 


 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[September 9]

Are you okay??? I heard something happened to you at work.

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Kwon Jiyong]

[September 9]

I just slightly tripped Jiyong, don’t freak out so much.

 

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[September 9]

I just worry about you, especially since you’re so clumsy. I just can’t leave you alone without hurting yourself, but then again that’s another reason I love you.

 


 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[September 21]

You look so beautiful today Dee.

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Kwon Jiyong]

[September 21]

O.O omo, how do you know how I look like today? For all you know I could be breaking out like crazy and have panda eyes.

 

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[September 21]

I don’t need to see to know that you looks beautiful today because you’re beautiful every day, blemishes and all.

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Kwon Jiyong]

[September 21]

Aigoo, so cheesy >.<

 

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[September 21]

But it’s true, you’re beautiful inside and out, another reason why I love you.

 


 

[From: Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[October 1]

Happy first day of October! I miss you. Oh! Did Sanghyun tell you about his new girlfriend? Hehe, they’re so cute together.

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyong]

[October 1]

HE HAS A GIRLFRIEND??? Is it the girl from his music class that he always tells me about??

 

 

[From: Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[October 1]

Nope! I was surprised too, but they looks so good together, so cheesy and sweet. But don’t worry, I’m cheesier and you’re sweeter than them, so it’s okay (:

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyong]

[October 1]

…I wasn’t worried about any such thing.

 

 

[From: Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[October 1]

Psh, no one can beat me in the cheesiest factor. Just remember, my love for you will last until that last rose dies. I love you.

 


 

[From: Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[October 12]

Why did you send that selca to Seungri instead of me??? 

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyong]

[October 12]

Because he asked me for one? Hehe, pyong~

 

 

[From: Jiyong]

[To: Me]

[October 12]

It’s okay, I still love you. I just need to delete that photo from Seungri’s phone now. Hehe.

 


 

[From: Jiyong~]

[To: Me]

[November 8]

So you aren’t coming back for your birthday? *pouts*

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyong~]

[November 8]

Yup, no can do, it’s not enough time to go home. Plus, I definitely won’t be able to go home for Christmas if I leave now.

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyong~]

[November 8]

YA! Stop crying at your desk!

 

 

[From: Jiyong~]

[To: Me]

[November 8]

What?! How did you know about that?? Aigoo so embarrassing…

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyong~]

[November 8]

*picture attachment*

Daesungie sent it to me, hehehe.

 

 

[From: Jiyong~]

[To: Me]

[November 8]

That traitor!

*Insert selca attachment*

My tears are only for you, so come back soon. I love you.

 


 

[From: Jiyong~]

[To: Me]

[November 12]

Happy Birthday Dee! Thank you so much for coming into my life. If you hadn’t needed my help on move-in day, if you hadn’t lived on my floor freshmen year, if you didn’t become my best friend, if you didn’t become the most important person to me, I would be so lost, even more so than I already am. But it is you, and I will always find my way back to you. I may be lost at times, but you are the light in my world that will lead me back to you. I wish for more than anything in the world to be with you today, I’m sorry I can’t make it for your birthday. I hope my gift got there safely. Like I said, take your time, I’ll wait until you’re ready because you are worth it. You are a beautiful, intelligent woman, I can’t imagine any better person to be in love with. Have an amazing birthday, you deserve it. Happy 26th Birthday Dara. I love you.

 

I stare at the tiny box that I’ve been contemplating on opening for the last week. It was a small pink box with a simple bow on it. On it was a note saying to not open it until the day of my birthday, even without looking at the sender’s name I knew who it was. Jiyong. Who else could it be? I felt my stomach fill with butterflies as I hesitantly started to undo the bow and open the box. I gasped and nearly dropped the box upon seeing the contents. Inside contained a cute bunny cell phone charm and a ring. On the inside of the band there was an engraving, “Kwon Jiyong”. Right under the ring was a piece of paper. Once the initial shock of seeing the ring passed, I slid out the piece of paper and read it.

 

Please don’t freak out! It isn’t an engagement ring or promise ring or anything like that, I’m not that crazy. It’s simply a couple ring, and if you choose, you can either keep it and wear it or return it to me or even throw it out, it’s up to you. I have the other ring for safekeeping, so when you are ready, please give me a reply with the ring. I love you. Happy Birthday.

 

Aish, what am I going to do with this guy? I foolishly grinned as I held the ring between my fingers. I slipped on the ring onto my left ring finger, “Perfect fit,” I mutter as I admired it on my hand. Am I ready though?

 


 

[From: Ji~]

[To: Me]

[November 14]

WHY ARE YOU AND DONGHAE SO INTIMATE IN THAT PHOTO???

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Ji~]

[November 14]

What are you even on about?

 

 

[From: Ji~]

[To: Me]

[November 14]

The pictures from your birthday party!!! He’s all over you!

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Ji~]

[November 14]

We’re just hugging! Calm down Ji!

 

 

[From: Ji~]

[To: Me]

[November 14]

T__T I’m sorry for getting jealous, I just miss you so much Dara.

 


 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 2]

You really can’t come home for Christmas? *Pouts*

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyongie~]

[December 2]

Yeah ): There’s too much work to be done and I don’t have time to go back.

 

 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 2]

I wish I could go to you, but my mom will probably kill me if I did. I miss you.

 


 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 14]

Do you know the twelve days before Christmas?

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyongie~]

[December 14]

The song?

 

 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 14]

Yup! I want to do my own version.

 

 

[From: Me]

[To: Jiyongie~]

[December 14]

Oh?

 

 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 14]

On the first day of Christmas, my true love said to me: Do you have a Bandaid? Because I just scraped my knee falling for you. 

 

Oh goodness, I thought as I pinched the bridge of my nose, slightly shaking my head, “Aish, this dork.”

 


 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 15]

On the second day of Christmas, my true love said to me: Do you have a map? Because Honey, I just keep getting lost in your eyes.

 


 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 16]

On the third day of Christmas, my true love said to me: When I first saw you I looked for a signature, because every masterpiece has one.

 


 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 17]

On the fourth day of Christmas, my true love said to me: My mom told me that life is like a deck of cards, so you must be the queen of hearts.

 


 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 18]

On the fifth day of Christmas, my true love said to me: Hello, Cupid called, he says to tell you that he needs my heart back.

 


 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 19]

On the sixth day of Christmas, my true love said to me: I always get cuts and bruises because every single day, minute and second I keep on falling in love with you.

 


 

[From: Jiyongie~]

[To: Me]

[December 24]

On the eleventh day of Christmas, my true love said to me: If I had to choose between breathing and loving you…I’d take my last breath to say “I love you.”

 


 

December 25.

 

Sunlight started to stream through my bedroom windows as my eyes fluttered open. Ah, it’s Christmas! My face broke out into a huge grin as I hopped out of bed to look out the window. Right as I moved the curtains aside I saw pillows of white on the street from the early morning snowfall. Today’s going to be a good day, I thought as I saw children all bundled up and playing in the snow below.

 

Pulling a sweater on, I cleaned up and walked over to the kitchen to make a cup of hot chocolate. Curling up onto a lounge chair next to the window, I slowly sip my warm drink. Ah, it’s so quiet, I look around the apartment, I wish I could’ve gone home with Chae, I pouted as I thought of all the work that had prevented me from leaving. She must be happy though, spending Christmas with him again, I smile, hopefully they don’t end up fighting the whole day like cat and mouse. Christmas…twelve days of Christmas, I glance over to the coffee table in front of me that my phone was on, speaking of which…I wonder what kind of cheesy pick-up line he’ll send today, I chuckle as I remember all the previous messages. Aigoo, that guy is such a cheeseball.

 

Your cheeseball, a small voice in my head said, Aigoo, no, I shook my head, he’s not mine…but one day maybe, I let a sight as I looked out the window again. I miss him.

 

*Ring ring ring*

 

Must be my parents, I thought as I placed my mug down and picked up the call without looking at the caller ID.

 

“Hello?” I answer.

 

“Hey Dee,” his voice said softly, “Merry Christmas.”

 

Oh god I missed him so much, when was the last time I heard his voice? I thought as tears started to run down my cheeks and pressing the phone closer to my ear. “Hey,” I softly replied.

 

“Are you crying?” he asked in shock, “What’s the matter? Did something happen to you? Are you okay?”

 

I sniffled a little before my face broke out into a huge smile. Raising my other arm, I wipe away all the tears, “I,” I shook my head as my smile became a smaller and softer one, “I just realize how much I miss you Ji.”

 

He gasped loudly, “Not as much as I miss you,” he said sweetly, “I wish more than anything that I could be there with you now Dee, I miss you so much.”

 

“Me too. Merry Christmas Ji,” I smiled closing my eyes listening to his voice. “So, today’s the twelfth day of Christmas, what did your true love say to you today?” I giggled in anticipation.

 

“I love you,” he replied.

 

“Um,” I nervously hesitated as my heart started to hammer within my chest at the unexpected answer. Reading his cheesy pick-up lines and ‘I love you’s’ and actually hearing him say it was completely different.

 

He lightly chuckled, “You don’t have to respond now. I just wanted to remind you that I love you, sorry if I disappointed you for not coming up with another cheesy line. Ah,” he sighed, “You don’t know how many times I’ve wanted to just hop onto a plane to go see you in the last 4 months. There were so many times I was about to press the buy button to buy the tickets,” he said, “it got harder and harder to stop myself each time. But, I think because of all this time apart, I’ve come to realize something. Something pretty important.”

 

“And what would that be?” I asked curiously.

 

“That I’m so dumb,” he laughed.

 

“What?” I asked in surprise.

 

“I’ve been so blind,” he said, “Remember what I said about each girl I was with? I always said ‘Ah, she’s the one’. All this time, that was just an excuse…an excuse to myself…because I think deep inside I was trying to deny something. Something that I tried to forget. You know what that something was?”

 

“Um,” I thought hard, but couldn’t come up with an answer.

 

“At first, I tried to convince myself that the girl I was dating was ‘the one’, but as time passed, I forgot that the reason for why I was trying to convince myself of that. Right from the beginning I was always looking for a girl that would be ‘the one that would make me forget my feelings for Dara’.”

 


 

*FLASHBACK*

Jiyong’s POV:

 

7 years ago.

 

“Ji!” Dara yelled as she jumped into my arms.

 

“Whoa there!” I chuckled as I wrapped my arms around her, Ah, her warmth is always so comfortable. “So,” I pulled away from her and slung my arm around her shoulder as we walked, “What are you so happy about?”

 

“You’ll never guess what happened!” She giggled.

 

“What? Did Donghae finally ask you out?” I joked.

 

She stared at me with wide eyes, “How did you know?”

 

“Wait what,” I halted and turned towards her, “He asked you out?”

 

A blush started to creep onto her cheeks as she nodded, “He told me that he really likes me and asked me out on a date.”

 

I felt my heart clench, God, what is this feeling? You knew he was going to ask her out some time, he even asked you for help. Why are you surprised Jiyong? And…why does it hurt? I tried to shake off the feeling, “What did you say to him?” I nervously asked.

 

“I,” she nervously tapped her index fingers together, “I said yes,” her cheeks turned an even darker shade of pink.

 

“I see,” My chest tightened in pain.

 


 

A few days later.

 

“UGHHH,” I groan as I run my fingers through my hair in frustration.

 

“What’s wrong?” Daesung asked without taking his eyes off his computer screen.

 

“I don’t understand what’s happening,” I got up from my desk chair and flop onto the closest bed.

 

He looked up and stared at me, “You do know that Seunghyun will probably kill you if he finds out you were on his bed, right?”

 

“AHHHH!” I scream into the pillow.

 

“Okay, not the right time, I got it,” he joked putting his hands up as he got up from his desk to sit on the adjacent bed. “But seriously, what’s wrong man?”

 

I looked over before slowly sitting up. “Here,” I placed a hand on my chest, “It hurts so much here for some reason.”

 

He raised an eyebrow, “Since when?”

 

I frowned, “Does that matter?”

 

He gave me a look, “Yes.”

 

I let out a sigh, “Since Dara told me that Donghae asked her out and she said yes,” I buried my face into my hands, “She looked so happy, but why do I feel so bad? I should be happy for her. I saw them earlier too. They were holding hands,” I winced at the memory, “The pain in my chest flared up again and it won’t go away,” I gently rub my chest trying to ease the pain.

 

“Oh. My. God,” he gaped at me.

 

I looked up at him, “What?”

 

“I think you care for her more than you know, more than friends should care for one another. I think you like Dara, Ji. You might even love her,” he thoughtfully said.

 

Love her? “No way,” I denied, I can’t love her, she’s my best friend!

 

*END OF FLASHBACK*

 


 

“I was a coward back then, heck, I’m still a coward,” he harshly laughed, “I was so scared that I loved you. I didn’t want to fall in love with you. I didn’t want things to change, we were so happy as we were then, but seeing you with him, you were making it so much more painful for me. I used to scream in frustration, wondering why, why were you making it more painful? I knew if I confessed that it would just be a repetition of broken hearts and I couldn’t bare that. I couldn’t risk breaking both of our hearts with my feelings. I couldn’t find a purpose in those foolish feelings if they would only cause you to leave me. At that time, I just wanted you to stay. I didn’t want you to leave, I wanted you to always be by my side. More than anything, I was afraid that your beautiful smile would turn into tears if I got too attached to you. I was afraid my feelings would be the reason for why you’d lose your happiness. I didn’t want to lose you. Call me a selfish bastard, because honestly I was, I wanted to beg God to let us not fall in love. I was so selfish, I only cared about myself and my feelings. I’m so sorry for being such a coward. I love you Dara,” he sincerely said, “I love you so much and I will never deny my feelings for you again.”

 

I started sobbing again.

 

“Please don’t cry Dee,” he pleaded, “I’m so sorry for all the hurt I’ve caused you over the years because I’ve been such a coward.”

 

“Oh Ji,” I wiped away the happy tears. He’s loved me since college? We’ve both been so blind…all these years…jeez what have we been doing? I lightly laugh at the irony of everything.

 

“Jeez, I didn’t plan to spill everything now,” he sighed, “I wanted to wait until I saw you again to tell you in person. Next thing you know everything came tumbling out,” I could practically hear him pouting, “I just wanted to surprise you for Christmas.”

 

“Surprise? Oh!” I snapped my fingers, “The phone call?”

 

“Nope, I have some really good news,” he excitedly said, “I’m transferring to New York!”

 

“What?” My eyes widened, “Why?”

 

“For you, of course. Because you mean that much to me, you mean so much that I’m willing to drop everything for you, just with the hope of being with you again. I miss you so much, I don’t want to spend any more time apart from you.”

 

I gasped and I covered my mouth, He’s willing to move to New York for me? Wait… “Don’t,” I said softly.

 

“What?” He asked startled, “You…you don’t want me to come there?” He slowly asked, broken-hearted.

 

I giggled at his misunderstanding, “That’s not it Ji. Just don’t transfer,” I took a deep breath, “If you can wait one more year, I’ll be moving back to my old apartment in Seoul,” I quickly said before hanging up.

 

I stared at the wallpaper on my phone, a picture of the two of us from college, “Merry Christmas Ji, I love you.”

 


 

Jiyong’s POV:

 

“If you can wait one more year, I’ll be moving back to my old apartment in Seoul,” she quickly said before hanging up.

 

I chuckled as I stared at my phone, Aish this girl, one more year, huh? I guess that won’t kill me… I looked over to the transfer documents on my desk, “Well, I just wasted a lot of my time,” I grabbed them all and ran them through the shredder.

 

“Silly Jiyong,” I lightly chuckle as I shredded the last piece, “How can you think that? Dara’s always worth it,” I stared at the wallpaper on my phone, it was a recent picture of Dara and me, “She’s coming back,” a smile slowly lit up my face. And that is all I wanted for Christmas.

 

 


A/N: #allthefluff #somuchcheese HAHAHA Hope you enjoyed this chapter and it's unbelievable amount of fluff. I meant to upload this chapter days ago...and then I got distracted haha, sorry about that. Thank you for reading, subscribing, upvoting and commenting.

 

If you couldn't guess, the bolded words in Jiyong's second confession was from "Let's Not Fall In Love." Somewhere along the way I decided to incorporate that in. Let me know what guys thought about this chapter in the comment section! ^__^

 

9/10 Chapters DONE! (Omo, this story is almost over o.o Only one chapter left!)

 

Until Next Time! Pyong~