Part VI

If You

A/N: Just a note, if the POV isn't specified, then it's from Dara's POV. K, have fun reading :D


 

“God Dara, I miss you so much,” he locked my gaze with his, “without you, I feel like even the air I need to breathe is gone.”

 

“Stop being so dramatic Kwon,” Chaerin kicked his side again before looking over at me with a worried look.

 

Don’t give Dara…I clenched my fist to my side and looked down at Jiyong, Don’t waver…I took a deep breath, “Chaerin’s right,” his eyes instantly reflected sadness, “You’re being over dramatic Jiyong…I think you should go.”

 

“But Dara,” he vigorously shook his head, “I won’t leave until you forgive me and we can go back to normal.”

 

I tentatively raise an eyebrow at him, “Back to normal? What do you mean? And get up,” I extended a hand to him to pull him up. Once he was back on his feet, I immediately let go of his hand.

 

“Back to being best friends, of course,” he frowned, “I know I’ve done some really messed up things and I’m so sorry for being such an a**hole, but I really miss you Dara. I’m sorry for taking our friendship for granted,” he placed his hands on my shoulders and looked at me straight in the eye, “I really mean it.”

 

I kept staring into his eyes, very aware of how fast my heart was racing for him, how much my heart wanted to forgive him and rush into his arms. But I can’t, I sadly thought as I remember what happened, This is how it always goes. Some girl shows up, she wants our friendship to stop, he goes along with it, they break up, he crawls back to me asking for forgiveness, and then the whole cycle repeats. Don’t be so dumb and think this time will be different Dara, I slightly shook my head, It's never different.

 

“Ji,” I gently pull away and watch his arms fall off my shoulders and back to his sides, “I know that your words are sincere,” hope started to fill his eyes, “But how long will those words last? This has happened time and time again whenever a new girl enters your life, and each time your words dissolve into nothing. How can I believe you now when all the times before you go back on your words?” I ask sadly.

 

“It’s different this time Dara, please believe me,” he said desperately as he tried to take hold of my hands.

 

“It’s never different though Jiyong,” I pushed away his hands and saw pain in his eyes, “Don’t take this as me completely pushing you away though,” I sighed, I can’t completely cut him out of my life, “What I really need right now is not your words, I need time,” I saw his eyes start to widen in realization, “I will forgive you,” his lips started to turn upwards, “but I can’t now, eventually I will, but now.”

 

“Is there any way?” he asked softly, “How can I prove it to you that it really is different this time?”

 

“Actions speak louder than words,” I smile sadly, “Words are only momentary, but what you do to prove those words mean so much more. Go back to Korea, I think we both need some time apart from each other.”

 

He opened his mouth to say something, but stopped himself before nodding, “I understand, I better stop disturbing you then,” he forced a smile and picked up his bag. After he put on his shoes, he opened the door, “I’ll see you then.”

 

I nodded, “Happy Birthday Ji,” I said softly as he shut the door behind him. Once the door shut, I felt my legs give out and tears starting to trickle down my face.

 

“Dara!” Chaerin rushed over to me and gave me a hug, “Are you okay?”

 

I nodded as I hastily wiped away the tears, “I did the right think, right??” I ask desperately.

 

She hugged me tighter, “I’m so proud of you.”

 

I gave up trying to wipe away the tears as they kept streaming down my face, “Why does it hurt so much to do the right thing??”

 

“It’s okay, shh,” she patted my back, “It will hurt now…for both of you, but it’s an obstacle you have to face. It’s an obstacle you’ve both been avoiding for years, that’s why it hurts so much now. But I guarantee,” she pulled away from me and placed her hands on my shoulders, “Both of you will come out of this as stronger people.”

 

I nod, “I hope so…but what if…” a dark thought crossed my mind, “What if he starts to think I’m not worth it? What if he doesn’t try to prove it and our friendship ends? What if he finds another girl to replace me as his best friend???” I buried my face into my hands.

 

 “Aigoo, you silly girl,” she rubbed my back, “that won’t happen. No one can replace you, 8 years of friendship isn’t easily thrown away. Plus, Jiyong is a much better man than that, we both know that. Just because he isn’t by your side at all times doesn’t mean your friendship will end, okay Dara? Why did you move here in the first place? To get away from Jiyong, to have separation from him. If you go back to him now, all of this will be for nothing. Don’t worry, you can do this.”

 

I slowly raised my head and nodded, “Thanks Chaerin…” I wipe the remaining tears on my face, “I think seeing him really shook me up.”

 

“It’s understandable, I mean, I punched him as soon as I saw him,” she lightly joked.

 

I let out a small laugh, “Yeah,” I looked over at her and hugged her, “Thanks for being such an amazing friend. I really mean it.”

 

“I’m always here for you girl,” she smiled and hugged back.


 Author’s POV:

 

5:00am…why do I have work so damn early? Chaerin grumpily thought as she grabbed her purse and work bag. Unlocking the front door, she stepped into the hallway. As she was closing the door she spotted a note. “Who…?” she quickly glanced around to see if anyone was there. There were two notes attached to the door, one with Dara’s name written and the other with hers. Unsticking the two notes from the door, she placed Dara’s inside next to her keys and took hers with her as she embarked for work.

 

Hey Chaerin, I know I’m the last person you want to hear from, but please don’t throw this away without even reading it. First off, I want to apologize for my rash behavior, flying to New York and barging into your apartment. Second, I know I’ve hurt Dara, a lot, more than I could even imagine. I completely deserve all beatings you gave me last night. Lastly, please know I’m going to try my best to understand Dara and try my best to make everything up to her. She’s my best friend…no she’s more than that, she’s always been more than that. I’m a coward, you know that, all our friends know that. I can’t risk it with Dara, she means so much to me…even if my past actions haven’t shown that. One day, I’ll reveal everything, but for now I’m still too much of a coward.

 

Please continue to take care of her, if anything happens to her please let me know. I would drop everything for her, and I mean EVERYTHING because she's worth it. Dara has always been the one taking care of me, now it’s my turn. Which brings me to the last part of this letter. Can you help me? Can you do me a huge favor?

 

She read the favor he was asking of her, “Aigoo what am I going to do with this guy?” she continued to stare at his letter.

 

To: Kwon Jiyong

From: Chaerin Lee

 

Consider your favor done. But if you EVER hurt her again, consider yourself dead Kwon. And have a safe flight.

 

“I must be crazy,” she laughed.

 


Dara’s POV:

 

A month has passed since Jiyong’s visit. Just like before, he always sent me a daily text message; however, this time it usually involved a good morning message and picture from what he did during the day. Doesn’t this guy even worry about international messaging costs??? I shook my head as I stared at the message from today.

 

From: Kwon Jiyong

To: Me

 

Good Morning Dara, I hope work isn’t stressing you out too much. Don’t be like this guy.

 

Attached to the message was a photo of Seungri holding a cup of coffee and looking completely exhausted. Aigoo, his panda eyes are even larger than normal, Poor Seungri.

 

From: Me

To: Seungri~

 

Get some rest! Your dark circles are practically double in size xD

 

*beep beep*

 

From: Fishie

To: Me

 

Ready to go? I’m on the way to your place.

 

My smile started to fade as I read the message. How is it that every time I’m with Donghae, I think of him? My head turns over to the letter hanging on my wall, Probably because of that. I approach the letter and look at the words I’ve read a million of times, words I’ve already committed to memory.

 

Hey Dee. First of all, I’m sorry about that I practically forced my way into your apartment last night. Second, I understand everything you said and I think it might be for the best to have some time apart. We’ve been with each other for a very long time, sometimes I forget how it’s like to be without you. Like you said, we need time in order to heal the wounds. Lastly, please know that I meant every word I said last night. I took our friendship for granted, I’m so sorry, I should have treated you better when you were here. I miss you like crazy Dee. As cheesy as it sounds, it’s as if you took a part of me with you when you left for New York. Nothing seems to be able to replace the part that you took, so you better come back. Until then, I’ll be waiting for you. I’ll do everything to prove it to you that I sincerely meant every word I said last night. Even if you come back and still don’t forgive me, I won’t stop trying to prove to you that you really mean a lot to me Dara. Please take care of yourself, don’t skip your meals, or stress yourself out too much with work. I’ll see you back in Seoul. Remember that I’m always here for you Dee.

 

I miss you,

Love,

Your best friend (Kwon Jiyong <3)

 

“Dara! Donghae is already waiting downstairs for you!” Chaerin called.

 

“Okay! I’m coming!” I called back as I hastily grabbed my purse before leaving my room.

 


 

“Listen Donghae,” I placed my fork down and looked over at him, “I think-”

 

“You want to break up with me, huh?” he interrupted.

 

My eyes widened, “What?”

 

“You want to break up with me?” He calmly asked again.

 

I fidget with the hem of my shirt before nodding, “I’m sorry,” I looked up at him only to see him looking completely calm.

 

He reached across the table and gently tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, “Its okay Dara. I’ve seen this coming for some time now. It’s really okay,” he smiled.

 

“H-how?” I curiously asked.

 

“Mmm, just a feeling. In fact, the way we are right now feels like how we were in college,” he chuckled.

 

If my eyes could widen even more, they did, Just like college….it really is like back then. “I’m so sorry,” I looked down again, “it’s like I’m using you all over again. But…but I didn’t mean too, I swear. I’m sorry,” I bow.

 

All of a sudden a felt a hand on my chin, lifting my face up to look at him, “It’s really okay. It’s him again, huh? Kwon Jiyong,” he lightly shook his head, “I really can’t compete with that guy. The only guy that your heart seems to belong to.”

 

I sheepishly smile, “I hope we can still be friends…if that’s not too much to ask.”

 

“Of course,” he chuckled again, “I feel like being with you again has made me realize a lot of things.”

 

“Like what?”

 

“Hmm,” he placed a finger on his chin, “For instance, being with you, I’ve realized that the feelings I had for you in college have faded and that the timing for us is wrong. At one time it might have been possible, but now it’s definitely too late.”

 

I smiled, “I guess so,” At least it’s mutual this time.

 

“So what now?”

 

“What do you mean?” I raise an eyebrow as I picked up my fork again and ate a piece of my strawberry cake.

 

“What are you going to do now? Are you going to finally go after Jiyong? Or will you try finding another man?”

 

“I thought you said I only had Jiyong in my heart,” I smirk as I took another bite of cake.

 

He shrugged, “Who knows. Even though we aren’t meant for each other doesn’t mean that you won’t meet another man who may or may not completely sweep you off your feet. He could even make you forget your feelings for Jiyong.”

 

I laugh, “I guess that could happen, but for now I think I’ll just let time run its course.”

 

He nodded, “It’s getting late, we better head back.”

 

“Okay,” I quickly wipe my mouth and grab my purse from chair, following him out of the quiet café.

 


 

“Aish, why can’t I find that freaking light switch??” I mutter as I feel the wall through the darkness, “Ah! Here it is,” right as I flick the light switch on, I bump into the corner of my desk causing me to tumble onto the floor. “Aish,” I rubbed my knee and then something catches my eye. Ah, it really did scar, I gently brush my finger against the heart shaped scar on my foot. A reminder of him…a reminder of love. I let out a deep sigh as the light outside of my room turns on.

 

“Are you okay Dara?” Chaerin asked sleepily, “What are you doing on the floor?”

 

“Just thinking,” I smile as I stood to sit on my bed.

 

“Oh!” she hurried over to sit next to me, “How was your date with Donghae? Aren’t you back kind of early?” she wiggled her eyebrow.

 

“Aish!” I gently slap her arm, “don’t even go there. Ah,” I pressed the my index fingers together and avoiding eye contact with her, “We actually broke up today…”

 

“WHAT? Details now!” she grabbed onto my shoulders and looked at me expectantly.

 

I let out another sigh, “It was a mutual break up. We just realized we missed our timing.”

 

“I see,” she bit her lip, “Was it because of Jiyong?”

 

I slumped my shoulders, “Part of it.”

 

“Dara! You need to move on or at least try to move on. Don’t worry, I know this really good guy I can set you up with.”

 

“Chaerin, don’t.”

 

“Why not?” She asked in confusion.

 

“I think I need to take a break from love and just focus on myself. I know that people say the way to get over someone is to find a new person, but rather than finding someone else, I think finding myself will make me happier. I don’t need to have a man by my side in order to be happy and live my life," I said as I hugged my knees.

 


 

8 months later.

 

*knock knock*

 

I shuffle to answer the door, “Hello *cough cough*,” I greet as I open the door. God, I hate being sick. I blame Chaerin, she was sick last week and passed the bug on to me.

 

“Delivery for a Ms. Sandara Park,” the delivery man greeted.

 

“Ah *cough cough* that’s me.”

 

“Here you go then,” he passed a bag, “When you’re done, just leave the thermoses in the bag on your door handle and we’ll come pick it up, hope you feel better soon,” he smiled and turned away.

 

When I checked the contents of the bag I saw two thermoses, medicine, orange juice, tea bags, cough drops, and cooling pads along with a small rabbit plushie.

 

“Wait!” I called to the delivery man as I ran over to him.

 

“Yes, miss?” he asked.

 

“Do you know who sent this?” I asked.

 

“Ah,” he nervously glanced around. “He told me not to tell you who he is,” He? So it’s a man. “But trust me, it’s not anything strange and nothing has been poisoned or drugged. The person who sent that is a good friend of yours, trust me.”

 

“Ah *cough cough* I see,” I nod and went back to my apartment. Who would send this though? Donghae? No, he’s on a business trip right now...Ji-no, it can’t be him, that’s just wishful thinking Dara. I went to the kitchen to retrieve a mug and a bowl. One of the thermoses contains chicken noodle soup and the other contains honey lemon tea.

 

Strangely enough, this wasn’t the first time this had happened. It seemed as if every time I’ve gotten sick here, the next day there would be a delivery for me. The delivery would always include medicine and food, always some sort of tea, orange juice, and soup or porridge. Each and every time I had asked the delivery man or woman who sent the package, they always replied with the same thing, “A good friend of yours”. It was strange the first time, but after making sure the food wasn’t poisoned or drugged, I went along with it.

 

“Thank you,” I said as I patted the little rabbit doll. Maybe I just have a guardian angel somewhere…

 


 

2 months later.

 

I couldn’t believe it’s already been over a year since I’ve moved here. Everything has been so hectic and busy, I haven’t even had time to fly back home. I feel like I’ve finally settled in here with work and friends and I’ve even figured out how to use all of the public transportation without getting lost.

 

It’s amazing, even though I haven’t talked to him in over 11 months, Jiyong is still constantly making an effort towards me. Every morning he would send a message of some sort, unless he’s on a flight or something big came up. Occasionally I’d reply, but it was still very rare. I missed him, of course, but I know it’s for the best. Now that I think about it, I look down at my phone, He hasn’t sent me a message today. I looked at my clock. 11:00am...so that means it’s already midnight there. Maybe he had another stressful day at work and he forgot to send one…

 

I let out a small sigh and went back to my work.

 

*ring ring* *ring ring* *ring ring*

 

I look at the caller ID before grabbing my phone, “Why is Daesungie calling me?” I ask myself as I pick up his call, “Hello?”

 

“DARA! Thank goodness you picked up the phone, oh my god,” he was panicking.

 

“What’s wrong Daesung? Did something happen?” I asked worried, for a frugal man like Daesung, making an international phone call at this time meant something was terribly wrong.

 

“It’s Jiyong,” I could hear his voice shaking making my heart clench. Jiyong???

 

“What happened to Jiyong??” I asked, tightly gripping the hem of my skirt.

 

“Accident….Jiyong…Hospital…condition,” I couldn’t only catch those words because he was talking so fast.

 

“Dae, calm down, I can’t understand you. What happened?”

 

I heard him take a deep breath before speaking again, “There was a huge accident Dara. Jiyong was involved in three car pile-up, some idiot decided to run a red light and Jiyong didn’t notice it in time. That driver died on the spot, and now Jiyong’s in the hospital. He’s in critical condition,” his voice wavered, “The doctor said there’s a possibility of him not making it.”

 

My heart stopped.

 

 

 


A/N: Thanks for reading and supporting my fanfiction! I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter :) Did you catch that line from "If You" that I added in? ;D

Remember to subscribe, upvote, and comment, I love reading your guy's comments (even if it's mainly about hating Jiyong's character haha) <3 I'll try to update as soon as I can xD

Chapters 6/10 DONE (only 4 more left! ^__^ )

Until Next Time! Pyong~

p.s. Don't eat food given to you by strangers haha It's probably not a good idea, it was just necessary for this story xD

p.p.s. You don't need a man or woman to make you happy, always remember that xD