Part IV

If You

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 25]

I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Dara. This is not what I wanted, please.

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 25]

Please come back and let’s talk this out. Please Dara.

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 25]

Why aren’t you responding? Are you still on the plane?? Where are you going???

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 25]

WHERE ARE YOU DARA??? WHERE DID YOU GO?

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 25]

All of them are keeping quiet about where you went! WHERE ARE YOU? Please Dara. Please give me a chance.

 

[From: Daesungie~]

[Sent June 25]

Dara! Save us from this dragon, he’s already knocked the maknae out. But don’t worry, we won’t let him know where you went. Hope you arrived safely! Ack! Jiyong’s running after me now! TT__TT

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 25]

At least message me when you get to where you’re going safely.

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 26]

Did you arrive safely Dara? Please, I’m really sorry. Can’t we talk it out? Please contact me soon.

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 27]

Good Morning Dara-ah. It’s raining in sheets here, how is the weather where you are? Hopefully it’s nicer than it is here. Please respond, where are you?

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent June 28]

WHERE ARE YOU DARA? PLEASE JUST TELL ME THAT! PLEASE JUST RESPOND! TT___TT

 

For weeks, those messages filled up my inbox. I read each and every one of them, each of them tempting me to respond to them, but I had to be better than that, I had to be stronger than that. Bom messaged me that she had forbade anyone from disclosing my location to Jiyong or they would have to answer to the Bominator, they all agreed pretty quickly from what I heard.

 

I glance at all of the messages Jiyong sent starting from the day I left, June 25th. The reply button was calling for me to press it, but before I caved I turned my gaze the other way and caught sight of the calendar hanging in my office. August 10th, huh? It’s already been over a month since I’ve been here. I looked around my neatly organized office. Aside from Jiyong, I had adjusted pretty well to my new environment. Chaerin introduced me to many of her friends here and I also was able to befriend many of my coworkers and employees. Although the work load was a little more than I expected it to be, it was still manageable and I was able to get into the groove of things within the two week.

 

*Beep Beep*

 

I bet it’s his message of the day.

 

[From: Kwon Jiyong]

[Sent August 1]

Good Morning Dee, I hope you’re doing well wherever you are. Are you coming back to Korea soon? I miss you. Please let me make it up to you, I’ll do anything.

 

Although the text messages from him started to dwindle, just like the day before and the day before that Jiyong had sent me a morning greeting message even though it was already evening here. He never missed a day even though I never responded to him. I miss you too…but I can’t face you yet. I look over at the calendar again, August 10th…his birthday is coming up. I wonder if they boys have a party planned for him…or maybe Sohee planned one out this time…The thought of Sohee and him still brought back memories of that night two months ago and all the pain that came with those memories. Forward Dara, move forward.

 


 

“I have medium iced Americano and” The barista checked the other cup, “another medium iced Americano,” he called as he placed both drinks at the pick-up counter.

 

I walked over to the counter, reaching out my hand for one of the drinks, “Ah, hold on,” the barista smiled as he took back the drink I was about to grab and placed a piece of paper into the coffee sleeve. “Here you go Miss,” he glanced at the name on the cup, “Miss Sandara,” he winked.

 

I could feel my cheeks warm up, “Thank you,” I shyly smiled as I saw a phone number written on the slip of paper. I quickly turned away from the counter and bumped into the other person grabbing his drink, “Sorry,” I close my eyes and apologize, “I wasn’t paying attention.” Please don’t let it be like one of those movies where I spill coffee on some gangster’s expensive shirt, I prayed, I’m too young to die. I slowly open one eye and see that none of the coffee in my cup had spilled out, Phew, I’m saved. “Sorry about that,” I looked up to see his face.

 

“Dara? Is that you?” He asked shocked.

 

My lips broke out into a wide grin, “Donghae! What are you doing here? I haven’t seen you since college,” I hugged him.

 

He chuckled, “You look the same as when we were in college, you seriously never change, do you?”

 

“Yah!” I pouted, “Stop making fun of me.”

 

“I’m not,” he laughed, “Do you have some free time now?”

 

I looked at my watch, 7:40am, “I think I have 15 minutes to spare,” I smile.

 

“Come join me then,” He grabbed his coffee and walked over to a table that his belongings were at, “So,” He sat down across from me, “How have you been? And what in the world are you doing in New York?”

 

I took a sip of my drink, “I’ve been,” I paused, “pretty good, I guess. It’s really hot here though.”

 

“Well, it is summer Dara,” he grinned, “Are you here for vacation? Who’d you come with? The usual gang? Or just…” he paused as he looked around, “Where’s Jiyong?”

 

My eyes widen, “Why would you think he’s here?” I nervously grip my cup as my heart ached at the mentioning of his name.

 

“Well, you did dump my for that guy,” he raised an eyebrow, “You two were always stuck together like glue during college, I can’t imagine it would be any different now.”

 

“Ya! We broke up what? Over 5 years ago?” I looked over at him. Lee Donghae…they guy I had my first and only serious relationship with…the guy I thought could really make me get over Jiyong. Stupid heart… “Still hung up on that?” I teased.

 

He rolled his eyes, “Oh please Dara, I’m not a teenager anymore and like you said, it’s been 6 years already and we only dated for 3 months?”

 

“If it makes you feel better, you were the longest relationship I ever had,” I sadly smiled.

 

“Seriously? Please don’t tell me you’re still hung up on Kwon?” He asked.

 

I lowered my gaze, “Maybe I just haven’t found the right guy yet,” I mumbled.

 

I heard him sigh, “So what are you doing here Dara?”

 

“Ah,” I looked towards him, “I moved here about a month and a half ago for my job,” I smiled.

 

“You’ve been here for a month and a half and you didn’t even bother to contact me?” he placed a hand over his chest, “I’m hurt, how could you? I thought we were friends!”

 

“Ya,” I leaned over and pinched his cheek, “I didn’t even know you were in New York. Last I even heard from you was when we were taking our graduation photos. And we are friends,” I rolled my eyes, “Didn’t we agree to still be friends after we broke up, fishie?”

 

“I thought you said you were going to stop calling me that after college!” He frowned.

 

I giggled, “You sound just like Seungri when I call him panda,” I check my watch, 7:53am. “I better get going. I shouldn’t be late for work, let’s grab dinner sometime?” I smiled as I grabbed my purse and stood up.

 

“Sure,” he smiled as he stood up from his chair too, “By the way, where are you working now?”

 

“XXXXX Corp. Oh yeah, where are you working now?” I asked, silly me, how could I forget to ask.

 

“No way, really? You work there?” His eyes widen, “I’ve been working at the branch here for 3 years now. How come I haven’t seen you around the office? I’m in the marketing department.”

 

“Ah, I’m working in Internal Affairs, what a coincidence,” I laugh, “let’s head to work together then?”

 

He shook his head, “I’m actually about to go conduct a few interviews for possible interns, so I’m going to a different building than you. Oh, what’s your phone number now?”

 

“Oh right, jeez I’m so forgetful, sorry. Um, it’s the same phone number as before?”

 

“I lost my phone a few years ago and none of my contacts were saved,” he laughed.

 

“So that’s why you never responded to us. I thought you hated us or something,” I pouted and grabbed his phone typing in my number. I hit the call button so that I could save his number as well, “I really better get going. I’ll see around! Is grabbing dinner alright?”

 

He chucked and pulled me in for a hug, “It’s a date,” he whispered in my ear. He gave me a peck on the cheek and released me, “I’ll message you the details,” he waved.

 

I silently nod and walk towards the exit. Raising my hand, I cup the cheek he had kissed, Lee Donghae…will you be the key this time? The key that will release me from Jiyong...?

 


 

Once I reached my apartment, I slumped on the couch.

 

“Long day?” Chaerin asked.

 

“Yeah,” I nod, “Oh, you would never believe who I bumped into this morning!”

 

“Someone I know?” She raised an eyebrow as she settled on the opposite end of the couch.

 

I nod.

 

“Mark? Cathy? Daniel?” she saw me continuously shaking my head, “Who?”

 

“Donghae!” I smiled, “I ran into him at the coffee shop near work.”

 

“Donghae? As in Lee Donghae? The guy you dated during our sophomore year of university and later friendzoned for all eternity?”

 

I pressed my fingertips together, “Yeah…that Donghae. And I didn’t friendzone him for all eternity,” I pouted, “It was a mutual agreement for us to stay as friends.”

 

“Sure,” she rolled her eyes, “How is he? What is he doing in New York? I’m surprised that he didn’t contact me since he knew I moved here after college,” her eyebrows slightly scrunched together.

 

“He said he lost his phone a few years back and didn’t have any of his contacts saved,” I shrugged.

 

*beep beep*

 

“Don’t tell me that’s Kwon,” she growled.

 

I laugh, “Who knows? Maybe he gave up,” I weakly said.

 

[From: Fishie]

[Sent August 17]

Dara-ah, are you free for dinner tomorrow?

 

I hit the reply button.

 

“Ya Dara! What did you say about replying to him,” she frowned.

 

“It’s just Donghae,” I showed her my phone to prove it, “Don’t worry, I know better than to reply to Jiyong.”

 

[To: Fishie]

[Sent August 17]

Yup!

 

[From: Fishie]

[Sent August 17]

Great! Send me your address and I’ll pick you up at 6 :)

 

I sent him the address of my apartment and sighed.

 

“What’s wrong?” Chaerin looked up from the magazine she was flipping through.

 

“Tomorrow is his birthday.”

 

She quickly placed the magazine back onto the coffee table and gave me a hug, “You got this.”

 

“I should at least send him a happy birthday text message,” I slumped my shoulders.

 

“But Dara,” she pulled away from me and look, “Aren’t you avoiding him?”

 

I let out another sigh and shook my head, “I want space from him…to not have him be at the center of my world. But even so, that doesn’t mean I don’t want to be his friend. I know I’ll always care about him,” a tear escaped my eye, “It only hurts now because I care for him so much that I’ve become dependent on him. I need the distance to not feel the pain, but that doesn’t mean I want him out of my life forever.”

 

She pulled me in for another hug and rubbed my back, “I know.” She patted my back and I let a few more tears fall, “I guess sending a happy birthday message won’t undo everything you’ve done so far.”

 

I looked at my phone again. That’s weird…Jiyong hasn’t texted me today, I glance up at the clock on the wall, He usually sends one by now.

 


 

The next night, like his said, Donghae picked me up from my apartment and we caught a taxi to the restaurant. The food, the atmosphere, the conversation, it was all great. Everything seemed to fall right into place. It was comfortable and relaxing, and definitely didn’t have any of the awkwardness of first dates. It was as if we had transported back in time to our college years. But that’s the thing, it felt like old times, not the times when we were dating, it felt like all the times after our break up. I looked over at Donghae, we were already walking back to my apartment. I let out a small sigh.

 

“Is something wrong Dara? You’ve been pretty quiet since we started walking back,” Donghae asked with concern.

 

I shook my head, “I’m fine,” I smiled, “Sorry for spacing out.”

 

He chuckled, “It’s fine.”

 

I looked forward again, everything could be perfect, he could even be perfect…but if there’s no spark, can it turn into love?

 

“Ah, we’re already here,” I looked up at my apartment building.

 

“Yeah, I know,” he turned towards the stairs and walked me up to the entrance, “Time just flies when I’m with you.”

 

“Same here,” I smile as we stopped in front of the entrance. I dug into my purse to get my keys.

 

He clenched and unclenched his fists, “Hey Dara?”

 

“Hmm?” I looked up from my purse.

 

“Tonight was amazing,” he scratched the back of his head and let out a frustrated sigh, “What I’m tried to say is, we should do this again.”

 

“I’d love that,” I smiled. Maybe it will turn into love, I thought, it’s time to take chances Dara.

 

“It’s a promise then, I better get going,” He smiled widely as he gave me a hug, “I can’t wait for our second date, Dara. To be honest, I don’t think I ever really stopped liking you,” he said softly.

 

My eyes widened as I heard the words he said. I stayed frozen as he pulled away and gave me a peck on the cheek.

 

“Go inside, it’s already pretty late,” he smiled.

 

I nodded, “Neh, get back safely. Text me when you get home,” I wave as I entered the building.

 

I approach the door to my apartment and see a figure sitting in front of it. My eyes must be playing tricks on me, it couldn’t possibly be him, I shook my head and blinked a few times, but the figure was still there.

 

As if he sensed me walking down the hall he looked up. “Dara,” his voice alone made my heart pound like crazy, his lips stretched into a soft smile, “I finally found my way back to you.”

 

Jiyong…


A/N: Hello! I love reading all of your guys's comments <3 Man, you guys really hate Jiyong's character in here hahaha. 

Thank you for reading and supporting my story~

Remember to subscribe, upvote and comment, I really love reading each and every one of your guys's comments ^___^

Because of exams, I won't be updating this story for at least another week or so :x Sorry about that.

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! 4/10 chapters DONE

Until next time! Pyong~