Part I

If You


Dara's POV

*tick tock...tick tock* I watch the seconds pass by on the clock above the dining table. Unlocking my phone, there aren't any new messages. Where is he? He's the one who wanted to meet with me! It's already been 2 hours since we were supposed to meet. I glance up at the clock again, reading 10:50pm. 

*beep beep beep ding* Out of the corner of my eye I see the familiar figure enter the room. Drunk...probably, I can smell the alcohol from here. "Yah! Where have you been? You told me to come over at 9."

The man looked up, "Sorry, things just happened," he said shortly. 

This guy! Aish. "What did you want to talk about?" I ask with a hint of anger.

"Will you help me, Dara?" He stared straight into her eyes.

*gulp* "It depends Ji...what would I be helping you with?" I cautiously inquired.

Jiyong started walking towards me. What is he doing? Why is he walking towards me? What? He only stopped when he was only a foot away from me. Raising a hand, he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear before leaning over. "Just respond to me," he whispered into my ear.

"Respond? Respond to-" Jiyong interrupted me by kissing my lips.

Omo...he's kissing me...he's kissing me! After the initial shock passed I closed my eyes and responded to him. Our lips perfectly matching and in sync, as if we were only meant to kiss each other. Jiyong nibbled on my lip before seductively running his tongue along my lip trying to gain access to my mouth. This is really happening...His tongue explored all over the inside of my mouth. I could taste the alcohol from his mouth, smell the cigarette smoke from his clothes, and feel the softness of his hair from my fingers. Does this mean what I think it means? Or is he just drunk? Are my feelings finally getting through to him? A small smile escaped my lips as I felt his hands start to caress my waist.

All of a sudden that warmth was gone, replaced by the chilly air from outside.

*SLAP* "So SHE'S the reason why??" A girl yelled.

I slowly opened my eyes and saw her. It's HER. HIS special person. I glance over at him. He slowly lifted up his hand to touch the cheek she had slapped. I looked back at her, poor girl, she looks like she about to burst into tears. My chest started to hurt just looking at both of their pained expressions, so that's why.

"I thought you said you loved me? Do you hear me Kwon Jiyong? HUH? Less than an hour ago, you were screaming your lungs out about how you loved me and wanted me back?" Tears started to escaped her eyes.

He...he didn't meet up with me because he was trying to win her back. It felt like someone just ran a sword though my chest. Not through my heart, no, that would easily kill me right away. It was like they stabbed my right above it, for me to feel the pain, but not giving me the pleasure of never witnessing this scene unfold.

"Even, when I did that," he rasped, "you still rejected me. You said you didn't love me anymore, that we would never be together again. So what can I do besides walk awake? WHAT CAN I ING DO TO MAKE YOU LOVE ME AGAIN?"

Her tears started to stream down her face, "Even if I say no, you always come running back," she lifted her hands, trying to hide and wipe away her tears, "I wanted to test our love...to see if it would last, to see if we would last. I only said no once, but why? Why did you immediately run into another girl's arms?"

He shakily moved forward, he arm slowly lifted from his side, "I...I was weak. I'm sorry that I doubted us," he wrapped his arms around her, "please don't cry honey."

"I've been so tolerable about your relationship with her," she continued to sob, "I know you two are best friends, but how can a man and a woman truly just be friends? This is why I doubt our love. Please Ji, please make it so I don't doubt us anymore."

He won't...please tell me he won't say it...please. My heart started to hammer in anticipation.

"I...I" He hesitated, please Ji, don't say it, "I promise. I promise to do anything for you, even if it means pushing away Dara. I'll do it for you honey."

My heart shattered into pieces, I don't think my legs are strong enough anymore to pick up the pieces. They were once...I've always been strong enough...after the first, second, third, however many times, I've always been strong enough...but not this time. I looked down towards my feet, a tear slowly escaping down my cheek.

"You promise?" she sniffled.

"Promise," he touched his forehead to hers, "Just please don't break up with me again."

"I promise," I could hear the smile in her voice.

Move legs...MOVE! I looked up and see them in a passionate embrace with their lips locked. Another tear trailed down my cheek, followed by many others, blurring my vision. Move dammit. It's obvious you've been forgotten and unwanted her. Move your legs stupid. He leaned down and picked her up bridal style, never breaking their passionate kiss as they entered his room. Once the storm slammed close and moans could be heard, I ran. 

You're so stupid Dara, how could you think this would be any different? I kept running, vision blurred, just because of that kiss? I bit my lip remembering the feeling of his touching mine, the warmth of them. How could you do this to me Ji? How? 

My pace slowed down as I ran out of breath from all my tears. 

"I promise to do anything for you, even if it means pushing Dara away." His words replayed in my head. Do I really mean that little to you? Does our friendship mean that little to you? I sat down on a nearby bench, hugging my knees to my chest. A girl you've only known for 3 months means more to you than a girl you've known for 8 years? Touching my forehead to my knees. Am I just a toy to you Kwon Jiyong? Just a freaking toy you can play with and throw away when you get tired of it? I mean that little to you?

*Flashback*

"Ahhhh, why did the elevator break?" I cried as I lugged the heavy box up the stairs, "Why do I have this much stuff?" I keep muttering as I continued to climb the stairs up to my dorm room. "At least this is my last box."

"Need some help?" A voice asked from behind the box I was carrying. 

"What?" I asked in confusion. Who is that?

"Ah, let me help you," the voice chuckled as a pair of hands took the box out of my hands, "Which floor?"

"8th," I answered as a I silently followed him up the remaining flights of stairs. 

"Oh same floor as me," he said. Oh so he's one of my floormates.

"Ah, this room," I opened my dorm room door, "You can just place it anywhere. Thank you so much for the help," I bowed.

I heard him place the box on the ground and why I straightened up I was finally able to get a clear view of his face. He had a boyish face, chubby cheeks, straight medium long blonde hair, and a playful smirk, "Are you helping your Unnie move in?" He asked.

"Unnie?" I raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"That box," he pointed, "You must be helping your Unnie move in. How sweet of you kid," he ruffled my hair.

I continued staring at him in confusion. But...I don't have an unnie...?

"What grade are you in?" He continued, not noticing my confusion, "By the looks of it, you must just entering middle school, neh?"

I frown, "Excuse me? Are you trying to insult me mister?"

"I'll take that as a no then," he rubbed the back of his neck, "First year of high school then?"

My jaw dropped.

"Wrong again?" He laughed.

I pinched my nose in frustration, "Ani," I shook my head and grinned at him, "First year of university. This," I waved my hands around my room, "Is my, and my roommates, room."

He stared at me, looking from head to toes, "Seriously???" he exclaimed, "We're the same age? You're lying!"

"I'm turning 19 in a couple of months!" I pouted.

He laughed, "Aigo, you're so cute. You're so baby faced, I would've never thought we were the same age. I was wondering why you weren't speaking formally to me."

"Yeah," I sighed, "I get it a lot. Although entering middle school is a bit much," I frowned.

"My bad," he smiled, "Oh, where are my manners. Hello, I'm Kwon Jiyong, first year majoring in Business." He stuck out his hand.

I smiled and took his hand in mine. The minute our hands touched I felt a zap of electricity flow from his to mine. "Hi," I said, shaking off the strange sensation, "I'm Park Sandara, or just Dara, and I'm also a first year business major. It's nice meeting you Kwon Jiyong."

"Likewise," he smiled letting go of my hand.

"YAH KWON JIYONG, YOU STILL NEED TO UNPACK YOUR SH*T!" a male voice yelled.

"Ah, there's my cue to leave," he flashed another smile.

"Thanks again for the help."

"No problem, if you ever need anything, you can find me in room 808. Feel free to come by anytime," he waved as he walked out.

"Ah wait," he reappeared in my doorway, "Do you, uh," he raked his hand through his hair, "want to get dinner with me and my roommates? The more the merrier."

"Sure! That'd be great," I smiled widely, "I'll ask my roommates to come too when they get back. They're really funny."

"It's a plan then! How does 6pm sound? We'll head over to the dining commons then."

"Sure," I replied happily.

"YAH KWON JIYONG! STOP FLIRTING WITH GIRLS AND COME MOVE YOUR STUFF!" the same male voice yelled.

I felt my cheeks warm after hearing that.

"Dude, I'm coming!" He yelled back before turning toward me, "That's Youngbae, he's one of my 4 roommates. You'll meet him later. Anyways, I'll see you for dinner?" 

"Yup, just come over when you guys are ready to go," I waved goodbye.

Kwon Jiyong...my first friend in college, I inwardly squealed and then I remembered all the boxes in my room, now to unpack all of this, I sighed as I started unpacking the first box.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

*hiccup hiccup* I slowly wiped my tear stained face, What have you done to me Ji? I think...I think I need a drink. I slowly stood up and started walking towards the closest food stall.

"Dara?" a voice called.

I looked up, "Ah, hello Ahjumma," I bowed.

"Aigo, sit down," she motioned to an empty stool, "When was the last time I saw you? It's already been over a year, hasn't it?"

"Neh," I nodded, "I've been really busy with work."

"That's good, are you by yourself?" She asked as she looked around, "Where's Jiyong?"

"Ha," I let out a forced laugh, "It's just me tonight, I just wanted to get something to drink before heading home."

"Are you sure you'll get home safely?" she asked worried.

"I won't drink too much, it'll be fine, plus it's really easy to catch a taxi around here," I assured her.

"Okay, one soju then?" she smiled.

"Neh!" I smiled. As soon as she turned around, my smile dropped as I looked around. How did I end up running all the way here? This food stall was the place I frequented the most during college. I've never been here with anyone else besides Jiyong, huh? I bitterly laugh.

"Here you go sweetie," She placed the bottle and shotglass right in front of me, "Don't worry, if you can't go home by yourself, I'll make sure to take care of you and I'll call Jiyong to come get you."

My heart broke hearing his name again, "Ah," I forced a smile, "It's okay. I should be fine, I ate a large meal before coming here. Plus J-" I took a deep breath, swallowing my sobs, "Jiyong's preoccupied at the moment. I wouldn't want to bother him. If it gets that bad, please just call a taxi for me. Just don't call him."

She gave me a side hug, "Alright, and don't worry about the soju, it's on me tonight," she winked.

I smiled, "Thanks ahjumma," I gave her a light hug before turning back to the bottle of alcohol in front of me. After pouring a shot, I quickly downed it, grimacing at the burning flavor. The kiss flashed in my mind again. His lips...soft, warm, caring, with the taste of alcohol. Tears started to stream down my face again. Who's going to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart now?

Slowly, pulled out my phone and opened my email to the one message that had been on my mind for the last few days.

Dear Ms. Sandara Park,

You are an exceptional asset to our company. We've seen you grow and tremendously improve our company in the four years you have been with us. As such, we would like the provide you with opportunity to train and eventually fill the position of General Manager at our New York City, U.S.A. branch. This position needs to be filled in as soon as possible and we believe that you would be the best job. If you wish accept this offer, your base salary would be approximately twice the amount of your current salary, your living space will be provided by the company and you will also be receiving a company car to use at your disposal. Please respond by midnight this Friday to accept or reject this offer.

If you are to accept this offer, please be aware that 2 weeks from this coming Monday will be your first day on the job. In addition to this, please keep in mind that the minimum that you will be required to hold this position is 2 years unless under extreme circumstance. 

Best Regards,
XXXXXX Kim
Director of XXXXX Corp.

I wiped my tears away. Who's going to pick up the pieces of my shattered heart? I ask myself again, If I'm not longer strong enough to do so. I clicked the reply button. If you're will the throw me out like a piece of trash. I slowly begin typing. Then why can't I do the same? 

Dear Director Kim,

Thank you very much for giving me this opportunity. It would be my honor to accept such an amazing opportunity. Please contact me or send me all of the appropriate paperwork or any additional information that I will need to fill out for this position. I will start filling out all of the paperwork for my visa as soon as possible as well. 

Best Regards,
Sandara Park
Manager of Internal Affairs, Seoul Branch XXXXX Corp.

I stared at the email I had just written. If you are that ready to remove me from your life, I took a deep breath and clicked the send button, then I should be ready to start taking steps forward with my life. I quickly place my phone into my bag again before quickly downing another shot. 

"Ugh," grimacing more at the bitterness of my tears than the alcohol. I gripped the shot glass tightly, making my knuckles turn white. One glass after another were downed until I lifted the bottle to find that nothing was coming out. Make me forget. Make me forget this night. My eyesight was blurred as I stumbled from my seat to the street. Waving my hand light a maniac I called for a taxi to take me home. 

Clicking the passcode to my apartment, I entered and slowly trudged to my fridge and grabbed another bottle of soju HE had left here. Unscrewing it, I lifted the bottle to my lips, drinking it straight out of the bottle. Ignoring the burning sensation traveling down my throat, I felt the tears escaping once again as the memories of us started to escape and remind me over everything I thought we were. I removed my lips from the bottle when the last drop entered my mouth. Black spots started to blur my vision as my grip on the bottle started to loosen. 

I watch as the bottle dropped and shattered on the floor. I giggled, "Just like my heart, that you continued to break," I moved one foot forward, "shatter," I lifted my foot up, "And step on," I stepped on a piece of glass, ignoring the pain from it, "without caring about my feelings whatsoever." I removed my foot making sure there was not glass amongst the blood on my foot. "I'm...done" I said hollowly as I stumbled to my bed.

I turn to my side and catch my reflection in the mirror, You look so pathetic Dara, I thought, losing the energy to even talk, Look at what you've become because of HIM. HE threw you out like a piece of sh*t and look at you now. You... "I still ing love you Kwon Jiyong," I cried before blacking out completely.


Ughhhh, my head feels like it's going to split open, I crack open my eyes and immediately close it again. Stupid hangover, I groaned as I slowly opened my eyes again and stared at the ceiling. I wonder what time it is...Then it hit me...worry about that later, bathroom NOW. 

I hobbled over to the bathroom to relieve myself before taking a shower. All of last night's events played in my head. Waiting for him for 2 hours only to be kicked out right after he arrived, drinking myself to oblivion, and accepting the job offer. New York City, huh...a new place...without him...my heart ached at the thought. I clutched my chest, I need to learn to be without him for me to move forward...at least I'll be able to reunite with Chaerin there. I sighed as I turned off the shower and dried off, wrapping myself in my bathrobe. Ah...he gave me this, huh? Christmas present a few years ago. I traced the pocket with the embroidery of my name a pair of bunny ears. Glancing around the rest of my bathroom I sighed again, Most of this stuff he helped me pick out or has some connection with him...I suppose I'll just get new supplies when I move.

All of a sudden I feel a dull pain in my right heel. Lifting my foot I see where the glass punctured my skin, I frowned. Even if I throw everything that remind me of you out, the pain you've given me and the love I felt for you will never be able to disappear. I stared at the heart shaped cut on the bottom of my foot. That's going to scar...

Placing my foot back on the ground, I walked out of the bathroom to find my phone just in case the Director had replied. Walking towards the kitchen I see the glass shattered everywhere, I guess I should clean this up first... I grabbed a broom and swept up all of the pieces and threw them away. Grabbing a glass of water, I went to grab my phone. 

[2 Unread Messages]

I naturally open the messages without seeing who the sender is as I sipped some water.

[From: Ji~]
[Sent 9:47am]

Dara-ya~ I have WONDERFUL news! I made up my honey, she finally took me back. Isn't that amazing?! Sorry that I bailed on you yesterday, you know how important she is to me. I hope you can forgive me *pouts* 

[From: Ji~]
[Sent 11:01am]

Daraaaa, why haven't you responded to me? Are you still mad at me for ditching you? I said I was sorry *pouts* Please forgive me. Ah! I'll make it up to you. How about we grab dinner tonight? 7 sound good for you? I'll pick you up at your place. See you then. I miss you. Pyong~

*cough cough cough* I choked on the water I just drank. Excuse me???


 

A/N: hope you liked it. Please Comment. Subscribe. Up vote. And continue reading this story!

 

Funny story about this story. I originally wrote the first part of the first scene over a year ago or so, but it was originally supposed to be a fic \(//∇//)\  HAHAHAHA and then it transformed into this...

 

Until Next Time! Pyong ~