The Coldest Winter

Love's Silent Chimes

Onew's POV
 
The tears that Onew have been struggling so hard to hold back now had now broke their banks and scalded his porcelain cheeks as he stared down Key, who was presently brawling by the side of the unconscious Taemin. Jonghyun was holding him, desperately pleading him to stop, tears rolling down his cheeks in the process.
 
Onew did nothing though. Not that he didn't care; he just didn't know what to do. He stood behind the boys, staring numbly at the scene, his heart hurting silently.
 
A bitter laugh then escaped his lips.
 
Key sure has a hell lot of tears, doesn’t he?
 
He has been crying endlessly ever since visiting Minho in his room. Now that they're in Taemin's room, the tears were still flowing non-stop.
 
Don't the tears ever run out?
 
Another streak of tear slid down Onew's face. He turned his gaze towards Taemin, and almost heard the sound of his heart shattering inside him.
 
There were all sorts of needles and tubes attached to the frail body of the unconscious boy, connected to an ugly electric machine which showed his heart rate. A wan smile crossed Onew's face as he observed the regular motion of Taemin's heartbeat flashing on the screen.
 
At least he's okay... At least we've still got Taemin...
 
Behind that breathing mask that had covered almost half of Taemin's ashen face, Onew couldn’t help but noticed a big ugly cut across the boy's once flawless face. He lowered his gaze, only to see Taemin's thin arms and legs marred with multiple cuts and bruises.
 
The accident must have been really rough, he thought. But it's okay... All the scars will fade off eventually. Everything's going to be okay...it will be okay, he convinced himself silently in his head repeatedly. It'll be okay...okay...
 
More silent tears trickled down his face. He was secretly glad that the room was dimly lit. That way, he could hide his tears amongst the darkness. He didn't want the other boys to see him crying, to see him breaking.
 
Being the oldest, shouldn’t he be the strongest? Shouldn't he be the one keeping this family together?

I can’t cry. I mustn’t cry.
 
The room had smelled so clean, so clean that it felt disgusting. Onew almost puke when the thought of Minho never waking suddenly crossed his anguished mind. He quickly tried dislodging these thoughts from his head, for if he continued letting these thoughts run wild in his mind like previously, he could die. He really could.  It was too much, too much for him to handle. However, as much as he felt like dying, he knew he couldn't. This family needs him. If he wasn't the one to pull them together, who else will?
 
He let his gaze wander about the room. Key had stopped his crying and was now lying unconscious against Jonghyun's broad chest, probably asleep. It sure was an exhausting and grueling day.
 
But since when did he stop? How long have this been going? Onew didn’t know, possibly too caught up in his reverie.
 
There was this slight warm feeling which grew in him as he saw Jonghyun rubbing Key’s back in slow gentle movements, gingerly wiping away the tears that stained the boy's face. He watched as Jonghyun pulled the sleeping boy closer in his embrace, gazing intently at the younger boy, eyes exuding such genuine care and concern.
 
This made Onew breathe more easily. At least they have stopped crying. Not knowing what to do exactly then, Onew continued letting his gaze wander around the room, before it landed on the hospital windows, which were partially blocked by old, dusty binds. He stared through them, and got strangely captivated by white snowflakes which were gently blowing in the freezing wind outside.
 
Though he was in was in a warm room, he could feel the coldness of the howling wind outside. This was, definitely, the coldest winter that he has ever experienced.

 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I'm sorry if the pace of this story is a bit slow here. But what I want to portray here is the emotional conflict of the characters, so you guys can get a better idea of how the boys are feeling. Things will speed up in the next few chapters! Stay with me readers! Do leave me comments on my writing so I can further improve! ^^ And don't forget to subscribe as well! I really appreciate all the comments and subscriptions! I love you all! <3