If You Truly Loved Someone, You'll Let Them Go

Love's Silent Chimes

"Taemin? Taemin? Hello?" Sulli waved her hands fervently in front of Taemin, whose mind was far away, somewhere else.
 
The two were having their lunch together at a posh restaurant, which had mellow music and lighting that created a romantic atmosphere. Sulli was happily discussing about how she would like to carry out the marriage in this kind of setting, in a place so warm and peaceful, yet romantic at the same time. However, Taemin seemed to be somewhere distant. His mind was not here with her presently.

This was already not the first time Taemin had acted like this, in fact, Sulli felt that Taemin had been incredibly distant for the past one month. He was always busy with work, and barely had time for her. Whenever they met, there would be this glimmer of darkness and sadness in his eyes, and he wouldn't seem to pay much attention to her. He was always just... So far away... So far that Sulli felt so lonely, even when he's just by her side.
 
"Huh...yes?" Taemin replied sheepishly when he finally broke out from his reverie.
 
"Is there something wrong?" Sulli asked tentatively. "You seem so distant lately."
 
"Nahh I'm just tired..."
 
"Taemin, you've been using this excuse for the past one month." She pursed her lips together, as if trying to figure what's going on in Taemin's head. "Is there something bothering you?"
 
She saw a look of hesitation crossing Taemin's features, and reached out to grab his hands. "Taemin, share it with me? Please?"
 
"I-I just-" Taemin stuttered, then he looked away.
 
"Taemin, please?" Sulli pleaded. "Where have you been? I miss you so much..." her voice trailed of, and Taemin felt guilt twisting in him again.
 
Then, he became determined to let Sulli know about everything - his past, Minho, everything that he had hid for so long. This was only fair for her.

He soon began pouring everything out on her. And by the time he finished his story, his face was wet with tears. "Sorry Sulli..."
 
Sulli remained silent throughout, keeping a calm demeanor as she digested every word Taemin said. A tense silence settled between them for what seemed like eternity, until Sulli finally spoke.
 
"Taemin, you should go back to him." The tears that have been idling in her eyes now trickled down her cheeks. "You still love him, don't you?"
 
These words hit Taemin hard like a solid slap. Yes, everything she said was true. Taemin has always silently loved Minho; he was so quiet about this love for him that he managed to completely deceive everyone around him that he had moved on, he was so good at hiding it that he almost deceived himself even. When Minho woke, he could feel the love chimes chiming silently in his heart again, but he blocked it out.

Taemin reached out to hold Sulli's hands in his. "W-what about you?" He asked quietly, voice faltering.
 
A sad smile graced across her face. "They say if you love someone, you'd want them to be happy." She swallowed, her voice barely audible now. "If you truly love someone, you’ll let them go..."
 
Then, she stood up abruptly, putting her hands out for Taemin to shake.”Good luck Taemin. Still friends?" She smiled.
 
Taemin stared at her for a second or two, completely awed by her generosity and understanding. Then, he stood up and embraced her, tears flowing down his face like an endless steam of river. "Thank you Sulli. Thank you. I really hope you find someone out there, someone far better than me, someone who can give you all that happiness you deserve."
 

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________