Side Story: IF YOU [Happy birthday Mark♥]

Time Bomb

This is a short side story that I've decided to write (a drabble if you would just because long stories are time consuming), in celebration of Mark's 22nd birthday! Enjoy!

This story takes place in school and Saehee is Mark's best friend. 

I'm sorry if this drabble isn't as good. I wrote this yesterday at 10 in the evening haha.

This drabble also contains minor swearing and talk about self harm. Please read at risk.

Thank you!

 

xoxo


 


I've waited for three years; each year I've been getting more anxious and more nervous around him as if he was a stranger. My heart would pound when he'd be around, my hands would sweat, I'd stutter, and I would get tongue-tied if he asked me to hang out with him after basketball practice. 

 

Mark is my first friend at Seoul High and I consider him as my best friend, but I question why he thinks of me as his best friend. I'm nothing special. I'm the bookworm-at-heart-antisocial-girl or, the quiet girl in the back of the class, or the girl who got straight As. These were what people called me. They didn't bother knowing my name (though I heard from people that my name was too hard to even pronounce) or knowing who I looked like, they just assumed things from the way I acted. In a stereotypical person's point of view, I was the definition of Asian. 

 

These were the reasons why I questioned my status around Mark Tuan, the school's basketball captain, AKA Mr. Popular. Everyone knew who he was, how he looked, who he dated, even where he lived. They knew him and were happy the way he was. Girls described him as the school's "God" while boys called him Mr. boy. The teacher's loved him, the coaches all adored him and most of all, he was in a group with seven other boys which were all popular and fairly known. They didn't like me as much since (as quoted from their youngest member, Yugyeom) "I mean, she's so... plain." I knew the boys were wondering why Mark hung out with me or perhaps they saw me as the clingy type if person. Nevertheless, I was still labeled as "the Ghost" of Seoul High. 

 

Today, Mark asked me to hang out with him and took no for an answer as he took my wrist and dragged me out to the football field. He looked furious; his eyes were red, his cheeks were flushed and his body looked like it was about to explode any minute. He shook as he talked and I thought that any minute from now, he would end up punching something. And that "something" would be me.

 

We sat down on the bleachers and he blew up.

 

"I can't believe it! They asked me again, Sae, they told me to stay away from you! And you know what, even Avalon told me to stop being friends with you. I don't get it!" he yelled and kicked the seats, "Why does everyone think of you so badly?" He walked up and shook my shoulders, "Why do you keep quiet when they're out there criticizing you!" 

 

All I could do was watch as he pinched his nose bridge with his wrinkled forehead. Even in that position, he looked like my ideal type. "I don't get it. They just don't see anything at all!"

 

"Then why hang out with them?" I boldly asked and he sighed, scratching his head as he took seat beside me.

 

"I don't know... ever since junior high I was always surrounded by people. I like everyone: Jackson, Jaebeom, Yugyeom, even Avalon. They're all kind and supportive of me and everything I do. Its just you that they have a problem with and lately, I can't tell anymore if they're really my true friend or if they're just playing with me."

 

This is why I couldn't understand the populars. Most of them weren't honest but were popular because of their looks. Around 90% of them had ridiculously rude attitudes and personalities. 

 

But Mark was so down to earth and everyone took advantage of that. I've seen him break. I've seen him stumble. And most of all, I've seen him fall for the wrong people and Avalon was one of them.

 

He saw her as a sweet girl who supported her boyfriend, but I saw through her act which drove me insane. Avalon was a mean girl; a witch in harsher words. She played Mark (and still is) with another popular boy name Brett Walker and asked for money from Mark after he lost his house to a large fire last year. Secretly, she would beat me with her crew and gave me labels I didn't want to be associated with. I also didn't know why but she was really posessive over Mark. Worse of all, Avalon was my step-sister.

 

"I'm sorry I can't really help," I replied but he gave me his signature smile that sent my heart running the 100 meter dash.

 

"That's fine, I just wanted someone to talk to." he sighed, "I'm going to keep hanging out with you no matter what."

 

"Why? Why risk it? Mark, you were born popular. People love you." I tried to keep his smile going.

 

"I don't want it anymore. I'm tired of how everyone treats my best friend so poorly, how Avalon keeps clinging onto me, how everyone cheers me on and expects great things from me. I want to be me for once."

 

I wanted to cry. He lived in a free country but was bound to chains.

 

"And Avalon? What about her? She could ruin you. Her position is big in school and not only her, but your group of friends too. Mark, you don't realise it, but they could destroy you." I clasped a hand over my mouth, finally aware what I had just spilled. 

 

"What?" the darkness deep within his voice surfaced. "What do you mean? Sae Hee are these people... bullying you?"

 

"Bullying? Of course not," I tried to laugh but he sensed the discomfort. "They're really nice to me."

 

"Tell me honestly." he growled and pinned me down on the seat with his eyes boring into me. "Are. They. Bullying. You?"

 

I was about to shake my head until he saw them. The red lines and faded purple splotches on my arms and wrists trailed further down. I shoved him off and backed away from him, nervous about his reaction. "Just... stay away from me," my voice faltered.

 

"Sae... Y-You c-c-cut?" he was flabbergasted.

 

I forgot to mention...

 

How Mark Tuan was smiliar to me. 

 

The redhaired male took a step forward and I took two back. He was shocked and his eyes read "scared".

 

"Why... why would you cut?" He asked, "Why harm yourself Sae?"

 

"Its none of your business Mark," I gasped as I felt the tears stream my face. 

 

He managed to catch up with my steps and trapped me against the metal goal post. "Sae Hee, please tell me so I can help." 

 

"Don't talk to me as if I'm unhealthy. I know what I'm doing Mark."

 

"Stop!" he roared, "stop trying to avoid things! Its no wonder you're a bird stuck in the cage!" 

 

I cried out of fear. He looked like a monster while he continued to yell at me. The tall, muscular and angry male was fuming while spit landed on my face but it didn't faze me one bit.

 

He cupped his cheek and his face reverted back to its original, pale colour from the blow I gave him. "S-Sae...?"

 

"There's a reason why I don't tell you things Mark," I started, "because sometimes you can be a jerk." His eyes flickered. "I want to tell you my problems but I can't help but know you won't be able to solve them because you're just like me. Mark, I understand you completely but the reason why I cut? I can't tell you because I am afraid. Afraid of the consequences that will come if I tell."

 

"And what are they?" he closed the space between us.

 

I looked at him and looked away. "I'm afraid..." He urged me to continue, "I'm afraid that you'll hurt your friends and that you'll leave me. I'm afraid that you'll end up alone."

 

"Why would I ever be alone?" he laughed, "I'm never going to leave you."

 

"Not even if I say that I'm in love with you?" I whispered and his face became unreadable. I lightly pushed him and stepped to the side. "I knew this would happen. J-Just ignore what I said Mark, it was u-unimportant anyways."

 

"Do you cut... because you like me?"

 

I shook my head and used the back of my hand to wipe my tears, "No. I harmed myself because of the I was going through. I wanted to turn to you for help, but you were too busy with her. You kept your distance and I kept mine. I couldn't let her know that I liked you, otherwise she would of done more than beat me."

 

"Oh god Sae," he walked up to me and wrapped his arms around me. "What have I done..."

 

I broke down.

 

"But... on the brighter side of things,: he pulled away and lifted my chin, leaning oh so ever close to me. "I love you too."

 

And his gentle lips were on mine.