Chapter 07: Saehee

Time Bomb

Chapter 07: Saehee

 

 

The scar from four years ago was still there at the left-hand corner of his forehead. The scar that left him vulnerable to the visions that suddenly appeared one day. Dad told us that he too had a minor accident before he started seeing the death clips. We didn't know why or how, but if Yugyeom hadn't fallen that day, he wouldn't have been suffering like this. 

The guys started at his fidgety body before Jackson remembered that a few police officers wanted to talk to him and bolted out of the door. Slowly after, the boys left to go to whatever practice they had and left Yugyeom and I alone.

 

"Does it still hurt?" I asked, listening to his uneven breathing. His eyes slowly tore opened and he nodded, pain still wretched on his face. 

 

"I'm sorry..." he mumbled and slowly sat up, "for blaming you the other day."

 

I shook my head, "No, I should have told you. I should be the one apologizing." 

 

The room was silent and all we could hear was the janitor, cleaning the floors with the zamboni. 

 

"I saw your math teacher..." my twin started, "He... he was hit by a car. I don't know if his wife already gave birth or not but..." I knew what he was thinking of. A fatherless child and a widowed woman, fending for themselves. If something else were to happen to the family, they would be alone and suffering. I swallowed and stared blankly at the floor. Another person who I knew was gone. I didn't know him well, but I knew that he would have been a supporting father. Tomorrow, the terrifying news would be brought upon the students and staff and everyone would mourn.

 

"Noona... Do you believe Hyo Sung actually killed himself?" he suddenly asked.

 

I looked at him and let out a sigh, "Is that what the police officers were saying?"

 

My brother nodded but his eyebrows furrowed, "They're closing the case today but I strongly believe that he didn't commit suicide. He had no reason to."

 

"Did you see something from that day?"

 

"No a lot to prove that he didn't kill himself, but I do believe that someone killed him. I saw shoes being moved from the ground to the rooftop and a knife beside his body."

 

"Why didn't you tell them?"

 

"Would they have believed me?" He hissed and punched the bed with anger. "If only we could tell them the truth... If only I could tell Jackson that someone was trying to kill him that day."

 

"What, Jackson was injured?" I was flabbergasted. Mr. Wang was one fine actor. 

 

"On the night of the basketball game, Jackson went home feeling sick. Apparently someone tried to choke and stab him in his sleep but Jackson managed to call EMS before his attacker could succeed. After being admitted into the hospital, I believe the same attacker tried to kill him again but for some reason they didn't follow through with it. They left Jackson in critical condition."

 

"Why does this keep happening? It doesn't make sense. They only started occuring after we moved," I whispered, deep in thought. 

 

"Whatever the case is, we have to be careful."

 

 


 

 

The next day, everyone was under the weather. After hearing the news about Mr. Kim, people started to gossip and classes were cut short in order to prepare for his funeral along with Hyo Sung's. The school's rooftop was still blocked off and math class was canceled that day, even though Mark would have been the one teaching.

 

"He didn't deserve this," the red haired male said, shaking his head as the three of us walked to the library. Bambam nodded in agreement and sighed.

 

"I'll really miss him," I genuinely said. "He was one of the most laidback teachers I had ever met."

 

"Teachers like him only come once in a lifetime," Mark agreed. "If it weren't for him, I would have failed tenth grade math."

 

We all moped around until the principal came on the intercom, "Students, thank you for your patience. You may now leave as we are preparing for Mr. Kim and Kim Hyo Sung's funeral. Students are welcomed to attend."

 

Bambam left to his locker, bidding the two of us goodbye. I sent a quick text to Yugyeom.

 

 

To: Gyeom Baby

Meet you back at home at 3.

 

 

 

"Do you want me to drop you home?" Mark offered but I politely shook my head. 

 

"That's alright, I live pretty far from here."

 

"I don't mind, my house is pretty far from here as well. Where do you live?"

 

"B-By Hangang Park." Why did I stutter? I mentally smacked myself.

 

"No problem then, that's not too far." He gave me a smile and ushered me towards a dark blue Scion TC 2015 that was parked in the student parking lot. "Not to brag or anything, but my dad got me this for my birthday last year when I moved to Seoul." 

 

I knew he wasn't Korean!

 

"Its a nice car," I marveled while taking a seat on the passenger side. He plugged his phone into the music dock and A$AP Rocky started playing.

 

"Um, I'm not sure if this is the type of music you like..." he pondered, turning on the ignition and putting the car into reverse. I held my breath as he put his right hand behind my seat. Why am I suddenly acting like this? Looking back as he turned the wheel, I could see his side profile from another angle. I looked away and felt my cheeks, keeping Mark from seeing how red they were. What are you doing? Stop thinking about him!

 

"Um, do you have Eminem?" I asked and he smiled as we stopped at a stop sign.

 

"Now you're talking," he scrolled through his phone and Lose Yourself started playing. "Didn't think you'd be into this type of music."

 

I shrugged, "I used to a lot of old school hip hop back then." Mark was comfortable to talk to, but sitting beside him in his car made my hands and feet sweat bullets. 

 

I watched him bob his head to the beat as his fingers drummed the steering wheel while he followed along to the lyrics. His voice was deep and husky and had a distinct style to the way he rapped. He really could have been a KPop idol.

 

"So what do you plan to do after high school?" I asked and he snorted as if that was the most ridiculous thing.

 

"Definitely not Medical. I actually want to try business, but that would be a lot of work. Jaebum and Jr. are actually both trainees at JYP so I guess I could be an idol but," he shrugged, "idol life doesn't seem like my style." For a guy who was usually silent, he had a lot to say. 

 

After a 10 minute drive, we arrived in Hangang Park. I told him to drop me off here but he gave me a skeptical look.

 

"Are you sure you want me to leave you here?"

 

"Yeah," I nodded. He continued to stare until a mischievous grin broke out and he stuck out his hand, asking me for my phone. I stared back and extended my hand, unlocking the device before he took it. Within seconds, he added his number and sped off. My instincts told me that he added more than just his number.

 

Turning on my phone was probably the most joyful moment of my life as my lips curved upwards into a enormous grin. My lock screen was changed and a text from him appeared. Everything terrible from this week immediately went up in flames as I walked home, squealing like a little girl on Christmas day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

From Mark Tuan:

 

Hope you like your new background! I noticed that you were staring at me during the ride.

Next time, take a picture so I don't have to. I heard they last longer. ;) 

Anyways, we should do this more often. Are you up for a movie next week?

 

 


I've been getting a lot of Mark feels lately... It's not good for my poor heart ;A;