Chapter 18: Yugyeom [Final Pt.2]

Time Bomb

Chapter 18: Yugyeom [Final Pt.2]

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"If we had more time, we would visit my hometown together.

 

If I could say something to him, I would tell him ‘I love you’ over and over again.

 

If I had the strength, I would have never let him go; holding onto him as if my life depended on it.

 

But if I had one wish…

 

I would wish for him to see his family again.”






 

My head was pounding and my whole body felt like it was on fire.


 

“Sora, why is he burning up like that? Was it something that he ate?” Her mother was freaking out since she thought I was allergic to something in the food that she made.

 

“No, he’ll be fine in a bit Mom.” Sora sighed and ran a hand through her hair. I felt something cold on my forehead and I momentarily sighed. It was relaxing...“He…” I heard her speak up. “He was born a sickly child. The doctors… Mom, can you get me a wet towel?” she requested, changing the subject and immediately hurried footsteps were heard in the kitchen. “Yugyeom… stay...” I couldn’t hear anything else. My ears had stopped working and the whole room started to change.


 

I found myself standing in front of Kim’s Jewelry on centre street in the dark. The streetlights were dimly lit and snow fell from the sky. There was nothing here. Walking down the road, I observed that there were very few cars on the road. My shadow casted on top of the snow and I turned around; a familiar dark blue vehicle was driving on the road and I spotted the two passengers: Mark and Saehee. I got off the sidewalk and onto the road as they passed by. They were close and I couldn’t help but feel happy for my sister. The girl who didn’t like people (who shied away from people and hated human interaction) was dating a guy who was the total opposite. She was older but she acted like a ten-year-old. You finally grew up, Sis.

 

Like a broken TV screen, my vision started to turn fuzzy and I could see black and white lines. What’s going on? Running towards the car, I started screaming out of pure instinct. A black Toyota truck was speeding towards them and I became frightened. Mark’s car jerked towards the sidewalk and I sighed in relief until something weird happened. I peered into the windshield and found them hugging each other; numbers and lines started to appear above their heads and I froze in terror. Mark’s timer was counting down while my sister’s had lines going across. I rubbed my eyes and yelped when the black truck had appeared once more. It started to accelerate and I banged on the windshield, trying to get their attention. I was too late; the vehicle had driven onto the sidewalk and rammed into the passenger side door.




 

Awaking to hushed voices, I groaned and sat up with sweat and tears trailing down my face.

 

“Yugyeom!” Sora quickly ran over and took my face in her hands. “Are you alright?” Her voice and her presence was comforting. I wanted to tell her I was fine until I realised that I had to get to centre street.

 

“Sora, I need to go to centre street.” Stressing out, she nodded and we started putting on our shoes. Her mother was confused. Opening to ask something, we completely ignored her and hurriedly made our way to Sora’s car. Centre street wasn’t far from here but my whole body was feeling nervous; I couldn’t stop shaking.

 

“Who is it this time?” I heard her carefully ask. I shook my head, burying my face into my hands. The road was covered with a fresh blanket of white and sirens were already heard from a distance. When we arrived, my breath hitched and I became a sobbing mess. A fire truck, two ambulances (one was already leaving) and two police cars were already at the scene. I saw a firefighter and a policeman breaking the passenger door window.

 

“Are you alright Miss? Can you hear me?” the policeman yelled. He was struggling to get the door open. I ran towards them but a couple of policemen stopped me and started to question me. My eyes and ears however did not leave the firefighter and policeman. They were dragging my sister’s unconscious body out.

 

“Hurry,” the firefighter exclaimed, “we need to get her to a hospital!” A pair of paramedics assisted him and they got my sister into the truck. My body became flimsy and I fell to the ground, sobbing my heart out.

 

“Yugyeom…” Sora was also crying. It wasn’t supposed to be like this…

 

 


 


 

Give us a pat on the back. We managed to drive to Seoul Hospital without killing ourselves.

 

Sitting for nearly two hours, we waited in the waiting room with our arms wrapped around each other. My parents had just arrived after hearing the terrible news and we all started bawling. We hoped, we prayed and everyone in the waiting room grew silent. Those numbers… Please… Please don’t come true.

 

“Mark, I’m sorry…” I heard Sora hiccup. “I’m sorry for being a jerk to you.” My grip tightened and the tears started to fall again, “I’m sorry for making fun of you and calling you a tuna. I’m sorry for teasing your hair every time you dye it a different colour. I’m sorry for not being a good friend.” She passed out and eventually, everyone else did as well...

 

All of us woke up twelve hours later when we heard voices calling out in English. Looking up, I saw a familiar group of people. “Papa Tuan, Mama Tuan!” crying out, they looked at me and ran up to me. “I’m so sorry!” The waterworks started again and I could feel Papa Tuan shaking his head as he hugged me.

 

“Oh my dear Yugyeom,” Mama Tuan cried. “What happened to my baby?” The ER light was still on and I couldn’t find the courage to explain to her. How could I? Her oldest son was in surgery at the moment in a foreign country.

 

“He’ll be alright, right?” Joey whispered. His sisters could only hug him. Then. we heard heavy footsteps and all of us turned around. A doctor in his blue gown and a few nurses followed in suit as they approached us.

 

“The patient’s surgery was a success. You can go see them in room 504.” He looked grim and didn’t bother answering our questions as he walked by.

 

“Which patient?” my dad yelled, “two people were admitted into emergency!” The doctor was long gone already. I looked at the ER door and found that the light was still on. Rushing to the elevator, I slammed the number five button as everyone piled in. Who made it out first? The doors were halfway open when all of us started to pile out of the contraption. My mind was jumbled and I grew anxious.

 

“Find room 504!” Papa Tuan yelled. We were about to split up until we heard a scream that sounded familiar. Running towards it, I yanked the door open and my legs gave out.





 

“Saehee… Where’s Saehee?”

 

 


 

Thanks for reading guys! This is the last of "season 1" ^-^ I read your comments and I laughed! How can I kill off my Ultimate Bias?????