Loveless

Lost to Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The first snow fell down from the sky, and usually I would be enjoying this moment with a warm cup of coffee and staring out the window as it covers the city in white. But today, right now, I was chasing after a wild Jaejoong down the street, not even thinking about the fact that I hadn’t locked up the shop.

            He came to a sudden halt and I almost smacked into his back. We’ve been running for miles and have entered the town square. It was crowded with many people getting excited about the snow. Jaejoong looked left and right, searching for someone.

            “Jaejoong,” I panted. The coldness was making it hard to breath, each breathe came with a sharp pain.

            “She’s gone,” he said particularly to no one.

            “Who?” I asked, straightening up from my crouch.

            “Ae Ri,” he responded.

            I should be shocked, but I’m not. “Jaejoong,” I sighed, thinking of how all that running was totally useless. “Ae Ri’s not here anymore.”

            “She is!” he said loudly. “I saw her.”

            I looked around. There were mostly couples and small families walking and laughing. Why couldn’t we be like that? Happy, why couldn’t we just be happy as the first snow coated us. “Then where is she?” I asked. “Where is she among these people?”

            “I,” he said, his shoulders slowly falling down. “I don’t know.” He eagerly scanned the vast area of people. “I lost her.”

            “You never had her,” I whispered, but he didn’t hear me. “Come on,” I boldly and carefully pulled on the sleeve of Jaejoong’s thin sweater, making sure not to touch his skin. “Let’s go back to the café, please? We’re going to freeze out here like this.”

            He finally turned to look at me, disappoint and sadness laced his eyes. Nevertheless, he followed me as I slowly led us back to where it was warmer.

            When we entered the café, we were quiet. The awkwardness was sort of back. At least to me it was. Jaejoong appeared occupied. I handed him his jacket and he wore it. Jaejoong picked up his guitar and slung it over his back. All the while with eyes that said his mind was in another world, thinking hard. He walked to the door and stopped as his hand touched the handle.

            “I did see her,” he said and then disappeared.

            I slumped down onto one of the chairs and rubbed my face, feeling the wrinkles that were forming due to stress. I don’t know what I was doing when I decided to run after him. I had wanted answers then, but now, I was just so done with Jaejoong. Today didn’t solve anything. Because of the interruption, I still don’t know how to act around him, because he never did finish his sentence when we were clarifying our relationship. Ugh, whatever. I needed to sleep this night away. Yet, sleeping was the hardest thing to do. I tossed and turned, wondering if his love for Ae Ri had made him insane, or did he really see her. But it was impossible for her to be alive, right? If she was alive she would’ve contacted us, wouldn’t she? Either way, I hope Jaejoong doesn’t see her again.

            But of course, the universe never plays into my favor.

 

The next day, I opened the shop like normal. Customers came in with the excitement that the winter air had finally settled in. Students were planning their breaks with friends, and adults were calling their bosses for days off to spend time with family. Yuri, on the other hand, was studying fu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter