Anniversary

Lost to Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Ae Ri was dazing off as she stood behind the counter, tightly grasping a small cup for dear life. This was unusual. She had been all about daisies and sunshine throughout the weeks, and Jaejoong had been fawning over her like he was the reason for her happiness. Maybe he was. They had been going out a few times after Ae Ri got off work, and when that happened Yuri would give me a smirk, Yoochun would look puzzle at our interactions, and I would brush it off like nothing happened.

            But today, Ae Ri wasn’t skipping and humming about. She had stayed behind the counter as if glued there. She was starting to get stares for her blank facial expression. Jaejoong wasn’t here yet to make her alive. She just better be lucky that I left her that way like a statue, for the shop wasn’t busy. It was windy today, signaling an incoming rain, and there were barely any customers.

            Junsu had come by earlier, and I was glad to see that he had looked healthier than the last time I saw him. He didn’t stay long. He had ordered two cups of coffee to go and left immediately after a friendly exchange.

            “Hey, Soo Yun,” Ae Ri said in a low voice.

            I thought I was imagining it at first when she called out to me, because it looked like didn’t move at all. But when I noticed that she indeed was waiting for me to answer, I decreased the volume of the television that I rarely . It had been the news, and I was curious if the rain might turn into a storm, but they never said anything. They were stuck on a story about an underground mafia that was getting dangerous in the slums.

            “Yes?” I replied back to her.

            “May I have the rest of the day off?” she said.

            “Uh,” I stumbled. I turned back to see the almost empty café and met with Yuri’s surprised look similar to mine. She shrugged. Yoochun didn’t notice.

            “Please,” she whispered as her voice almost cracked. She was staring at me this time and her eyes were getting watery. “It’s our anniversary today,” she gulped. A bundle of tears were filling up on her bottom eyelids. “And I don’t think I can survive today not thinking about him.” And the dam broke. My waitress was sobbing hysterically as the first raindrop touched the ground outside.

            I threw my dishrag to the side and quickly came to her side, suddenly embracing her. “Of course, of course,” I said. “You don’t have to do anything today. You can just rest here if you want.” I calmly rubbed her head as if soothing a child.

            She shook her head. “Thank you, but no.” She delicately wiped her tears away. “I have to see him.”

            “See him?” I said. “What? How?”

            “I have to see him,” she repeated and this time with determination. “I have to see him.” Ae Ri took off her apron and ran out of my arms into the locker room. Yuri’s eyes widened and Yoochun looked at the back of the café to check the customers’ reactions. They were quietly mumbling to themselves ab

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter