Disconnected

Lost to Memories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day Ae Ri was distracted. She wasn’t crying or in a deep state of depression again. No, she looked concerned and a bit scared. She played it off well though. I’ll give her credit for that. She came in earlier than the time her shift started, apologized, and engrossed in work.

            Yoochun, Yuri, and I kept an eye on her, noting down every movement, knowing that she was not herself even though she tried to fool us. Jaejoong came in, gave her a lily, in which she put in her hair and forcefully gave him a smile. Not even a flower or Jaejoong could cheer her up. Not today at least. And surprisingly, Jaejoong didn’t press on. He, like everyone else, sat down and inspected her. Not one word was spoken to me, and I honestly think he doesn’t know how much it makes me feel when he gives me the littlest touch like yesterday. Only I would treasure something like that alone.

            Junsu entered happily, being the only one sort of oblivious to the situation and atmosphere. But he noticed something was up when everyone gratefully welcomed him back and for not visiting in a long time, all the while shifting their eyes back to Ae Ri as if she’ll disappear. He took the table in the center of the room and Ae Ri squeaked, quickly rushing to his side to take his order. It would seem like Junsu was catching up with Ae Ri and how she has been feeling lately, because she took his order longer than usual.

            The day went on sort of like that. There was tension from how Ae Ri was acting, but it slowly evaporated for there was joy in having everyone together again. Yuri was studying. Yoochun was reading over a document. Junsu was staring off into space. Ae Ri was welcoming in customers. Jaejoong was scribbling onto a music sheet. I was making coffee.

            It would have been a blissful day for me if I had not looked over Jaejoong’s shoulder and saw the title of his new song. A Lily’s Smile.

            “Lilies don’t have lips you know,” I said to him, covering up my jealousy with playful mocking words.

            He quickly shuffled around and hid the sheet under his chest as he lay sprawled out on the table. “Don’t look,” he whined.

            I forced a laugh. “If you’re performing in the shop, I have to know your songs.”

            “It’s,” Jaejoong said shyly. “It’s for Ae Ri.” Of course. Tell me three other things I don’t know.

            I gulped. “Whatever happened to saying that you’ll never write a song dedicated to a girl?”

            He blushed and turned away. “She’s an exception, and I can always change my mind. Besides,” he said. “I think this will cheer her up.”

            I nodded rigidly. She was always in his thoughts. He was still caught up on whatever Ae Ri’s caught up on. “Maybe you could play it tomorrow,” I suggested as it was going to be Friday.

            He sat back straighter again and stared at his work as he scratched his head. “It’s not perfect yet.”

            I would have replied but a clash interrupted us. Quickly turning around, I saw that three of my ceramic cups were shattered on the ground by Ae Ri’s feet. She doesn’t seem to have noticed that she dropped anything as her blank eyes stayed glued onto the television screen. It took her a while to realize what just happened.

            “I’m so sorry,” she immediately said and bent down to pick up the bigger

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter