Kindness and Happiness

Protect the Boy

The two boys walked hand in hand, every person who passed them looked at them curiously. Both Jinki and Taemin wondered why those people stared at them.

“Jinki... why they look at us?”, Taemin whispered to Jinki.

“I don’t know Taemin. Maybe because you’re too pretty for a boy?”, Jinki whispered back.

“I don’t think so Jinki. I think they look at me with pity. What’s wrong with me Jinki?”, Taemin whined. His small hand grabbed Jinki’s coat. He looked so scared.

“Don’t worry Taemin. I will protect you.”, Jinki assured him with a soothing smile.

Taemin felt relieved by Jinki’s words and smile. But suddenly an old lady from a clothing store came to them.

“Oh my Lord!! Poor kid!”, she said with compassion.

Both Jinki and Taemin looked at the Lady questioningly.

“Oh sweetie, don’t you feel cold?”, she asked Taemin. Taemin only shook his head.

“Don’t lie to me. Where’s your parent? Are you his brother?”, she asked Jinki.

“No, I’m his friend and he doesn’t have parent.”, Jinki said.

“Oh poor sweet boy, is that why you’re like this?”, she gave Taemin empathy look.

“Like what?”, now Jinki almost felt annoyed with the Lady.

“Like this! How can he walk around the town like this? Without shirt and... what is this? It’s not a proper trouser! Come boy, follow me, I’ll give you some!”, she said to the boys. Jinki and Taemin stared to each other, and for the first time Jinki realized the differences between their clothes. Why he didn’t realize it before. A boy, shirtless in the middle of autumn. It’s strange! How could Jinki didn’t noticed it before? He slightly felt guilty. But Taemin looked at him waited for permission, and Jinki gave a look to Taemin as a permission for him to follow the Lady. And Taemin did follow her, with Jinki behind him.

“Here, try this.”, she gave Taemin a blue sweater with black sheeps picture on it.

“Uhm...”, Taemin gave Jinki a questioning look. And Jinki knew that Taemin didn’t know how to wear it, so he helped him.

“Let me help you.”

With that, Taemin gave Jinki his beautiful smile, he felt happy because there’s someone who understand him and wanted to be his friend.

“How cute! Are you his childhood friend, son?”, the old Lady asked to Jinki.

“No, I’m not ma’am. Actually, we met today.”, Jinki answered her.

“Oh really? I thought you were his bestfriend since you both babies.”, she gave them smile.

“No, we aren’t ma’am. Uhm... Taemin, I think it’s fits you well! How much should I pay for this ma’am?”, Jinki asked the Lady unsure because he didn’t have much money to bought that sweater for Taemin.

“Oh, don’t worry, I’ll give that to him. Hmm... and maybe I can give him a suitable trouser for him.”

“Thank you so much ma’am!”, Jinki felt relieved and happy for Taemin.

“Here, son, try this.”, the Lady gave Taemin a trouser.

“Thank you!”, both Taemin and Jinki said in unison.

 

“Uhm... Jinki...”, Taemin said in the middle of walk to Jinki’s home after their encounter with the old Lady.

“What is it Taemin?”, Jinki asked him.

“I like that old Lady. Is every people kind like her, Jinki?”

“No, Taemin. Not every people is kind like her. There’re bad people out there. You have to becareful, my Mom said bad people will kidnap you and they won’t give you chicken forever! It’s so horrible Taemin! A life without chicken! Can you imagine that??”, Jinki shuddered with the thought of life without chicken.

“Chicken? I don’t know about that, but it must be so scary, a life without chicken.”, Taemin frowned and nodded.

“Of course Taemin! That’s so horrible!”

“I’m scared Jinki, I don’t want to live like that.”, Taemin grabbed Jinki’s hand.

“Don’t worry Taemin, I’ll always protect you.”, Jinki said and he stopped. “Taemin, welcome to my home. To our home!”, Jinki pulled Taemin’s hand and they both run to Jinki’s home.

“Our home?”, Taemin stopped from running.

“Yes, Taemin. It’s my home. And it’ll be your home too!”

Taemin thought if a fairy can die because of happiness, maybe now he is no longer stood infront of this big house. But Jinki’s smile made him realized that he’s still alive, and for the first time in his life as a fairy he felt so happy, then he smiled a very bright smile.