Sign of the Dream

The child who speak revenge

Jihyo is pacing in front of Operation Theatre. Its already 2 hours Gary been pushed for operation. When they reached hospital, the emergency team did a good job to sustained his heartbeat. It was a miracle that Gary still alive after been almost 6 hours after the impact. Seeing Gary in that state made Jihyo felt guilty. She cannot stop crying since she been to thehouse. She was trembling and cannot complete her words when she make a call to both Gary's and her family. She sits in one of the couch when her parents come with her kids.
"Jihyo ah, are you okay?" Her mother sitsnext to her and gently patted her daughter. Jihyo continue to sob in her mother's embrace.
"Omma..i should not leave him.."
"Its okay dear. It was an accident." 
"What if..what if he cannot make it?" Jihyo turns her head facing her mother. Her eyes still red and puffy from the cry.
"Jihyo ah, whatever happen we are here. We should pray for him. Pray for him to get to us back."
"He must survive..the kids need him. I need him also.." Jihyo said as hugging both of her kids. Chun Ae who still dumbfounded on what happened to his father, hugs his mother back to console her from the cry.

"He was in coma state. So far we cannot see any brain activity but his heart still can sustained from the surgery. So far the only injury that are serious is the bleeding from the brain and fracture from his skull bone. Luckily there is no other fracture that we should worry about." Dr Lee explained soon he got out from the theatre.
"you mean he is brain death now? So we only prolonged his life on the ventilator machine?" Jihyo closing as Dr Lee nodded his head upon her question.
"During surgery, we almost lost him but we able to remove the blood clot and regain his life back. We are moving him to intensive care after this and he might require more surgery if his condition deteriorate." Dr Lee patted on Jihyo's shoulder. As a doctor herself, she must already know what are the chances for her husband to survive.
"Jihyo ah, i already ask your parents to go back first. I will accompany you for tonight." Yeojin who is escorting Jihyo to intensive unit willingly to stand by her friend's side.
"You are tired also. No need to worry about me.."
"Its okay. You might find me useful later.." She winked at Jihyo.

Yeojin was sleeping on the couch while Jihyo still had eyes open. Watching her husband breathing evenful with a tube connected to the machine. She caresses his chest who had few lines and patches. Her tears already dried up for crying almost a day. 
"We should talk. I should not abandoned you. Please..wake up. I need to hear your explaination." Eventhough no reaction can be seen but she still continue to talk.
"Remember the day we first met? Actually i find you attractive that night but because of the incident happened between us, we grew apart. I don't have any idea how i can stand you in our first year of marriage. This what people say the child is a blessing. Then you try to win my heart even until now you always put me as priority. Truth what Yeojin said, we already make until this level. Why am i still doubting you? Only from one random patient of mine?"
Jihyo was feeling exhausted and tired. She holds Gary's hand before went to sleep at his side. With their hand in contact with each other, Jihyo felt safe and secured. 

It was blur view from the haze surrounding the place. Jihyo squints her eyes to get a better image in front of her. She cannot explained how she ended up at this place. She tries to call any name to response but no sound can be heard. Jihyo starts to move deeper into the haze, slowly as worries that she might caught on something.
"Jihyo ah...Jihyo.." Jihyo stops her steps. She looks around to find the person who calls her.
"Gary?" 
"Honey..help me!"
"Where..where are you?!" Jihyo was panic after hearing Gary's voice. He is clearly in pain.
"Find me Jihyo. I'm here.."
"I cannot see anything..the haze is thick!" Jihyo move faster, she focused on the voice to guide her. She continue to move but no sign of Gary. As she focused, she felt her body been shakes repeatedly.

"Jihyo..are you okay?" Yeojin shakes her body. She woke her up as hearing Jihyo's sighing in her dream.
"Oh..just a bad dream. What time is it?"
"Its 7am. I will be in Emergency ward today. Call me if anything..and by the way there is police officer looking up for you just now but you still in deep sleep. So i dismiss them.."
"Oh, i don't ask the police about this.."
"Your brother did. He went to your house yesterday." Jihyo gave a long sigh as hearing his brother name mentioned. she felt wronged with her brother.

Its been a week, Gary's condition still the same. Few visitor came to his ward. All of them pray for his health to get better. Chun Ae and Soo Jin always come and play with their father as Jihyo believe that their kids are his strength. But no improvement can be seen. Jihyo will make time to clean her husband while talking to him. Sometimes her dream will occur again at night but it will ended at the same time. She started to think something might be related to Gary's incident. The police officer once pay visit to his ward and mentioning that there is no evidence of crime in the incident. By looking at amount of beer he took tht night, they conclude that it might be from the drunk habit and was been supported by the idea that he is heartbroken from their marriage. But Jihyo knew Gary well, his alcohol tolerance is high. Hearing from their last conversation on phone that night, he was okay not drowsy enough to fall from the stairs. She refused to believe in conclusion that been made by the police also from her family. 
"Omma, when will appa woke up?" Chun Ae sits on the chair next to the bed. He is playing with Gary's hand. 
Jihyo tries to find the answer, everyday her son will ask the same question and she had to give dfferent answer as to prevent him from further asking.
"Appa..did appa go to the lady?" His question cause Jihyo stunned a bit. She puts Soo Jin who is sleeping on the couch and goes to Chun Ae.
"Which lady?" Jihyo is worried if Chun Ae knew about their quarrel that day.
"Omma, i told you and appa before. The lady told me she wants to take appa from us.."
"You mean the lady in your drawing?" Chun Ae nodded his head.
"Why she wanted your appa? Appa never see her also.."
"She said she lives in different world. I am the only one can see her as she said i am her friend. He knew appa. She said appa is her friend."
"What is her name?"
"Hyena." Jihyo'e eyes widened hearing that name. The same name with her patient's daughter.
"Is she wearing the necklace? Like what you draw?"
"She said appa gave to her.." 
'No..it must be coincidence..no its not her.' Jihyo said to herself while patting her son's head. She is feeling uneasy from what she heard.

Its been 3 months but Gary still didn't show any improvement. While Jihyo is busy cleaning up her husband before she goes to her ward, the director of the hospital together with Dr Lee, the neurosurgeon pay visit to his room.
"Oh Director!" Jihyo who is a bit shocked with a sudden visit, bows her head as a greet.
"Dr Song, can i talk to you for a while?" The director asks her while his eyes watching Gary's mother who is sitting next to Gary's bed.
"Yes..we will talk outside." once they shut the door behind, the director shows his serious face to Jihyo. He cough a bit which indicates that he is hesitant in what he will be saying. Plus he never visit a patient's room unless he is a board of director.
"Dr Song as you know, your husband is already enter the third months of trauma phase and we are providing him the good and proper intensive care along this weeks." Jihyo nodded her head, anticipating on what he will be saying.
"I already discuss with Dr Lee that Mr Kang might only prolonged use the ventilator machine. You know our hospital is having quite a big number of patient lately and there are few of them need critical care. I try to save the bed for your husband as you are one of my staff but looking at the chances he had.."
"Stop talking about the chances! You don't know anything about critical care. All you care is about this damn business of yours! How much patients you will loss to your rival? You think by releasing my husband, you will get a better business?!" Jihyo was build in anger. She cannot believe the director is trying to release her husband from the support which in other words they are stop from giving any care and treatment or 'slowly release him to heaven.'
"No..no. I don't mean it like that. I know you know better medicine from me but how can you survive like this? Back and forth from home to hospital. We are giving you a choice.." The director glances at Dr Lee next to him.
"Dr Song we are giving you chance to brought him back home. That way, it will help him in more familiar environment. Few of my patients still survive at home even without ventilatory support. You can continue your daily activity and your kids can see their father more often."
Jihyo stunned for a moment. She thought for a while but she still hesitate to release jer husband from critical care. Gary will no more depend on machine which was less likely for his case. But hearing the advantage that they might have she considering.
"I need time. Thank you Mr director." Jihyo bowed to them before enter back the room. To her surprise, Mrs Kang is standing at the back of the door. She is crying once she saw Jihyo.
"Jihyo ah, i don't force you. But please make a right decision..."
"Omma, i can't believe this is happening."

The next day, the director pays another visit but this time the air in the room is different. Not welcoming. He watches as Jihyo slowly comes to her side.
"I will do it." The director gives her a big smile but Jihyo who is facing Gary slowly broke into tears. She feel like betraying her husband.
Soon, few anaesthesist team enter the room. Once they prepared, the ventilator machine was off and slowly they pulled the tube from  Gary's mouth. Jihyo turns her head back as she saw Gary is bit struggling to breath once the tube was off. Yeojin who stands by her side, hug her for comfort. After a while of observation by the team, Gary was put on face mask for oxygen support. Luckily, there is no immediate complication soon after he is wean off from the machine. 
"I will prepare the discharge in the evening and we will move him to another room for tonight. Then he will be free by tomorrow." Dr Lee almost whispers to Jihyo but she seems cannot hear one of the word as she keep observing Gary. The team soon dismiss and leave the room.

Gary was been placed in one of the room upstairs. Il Gook and Hwi Jae help Jihyo to accomodate the room so the family will be staying together. They even put the family picture next to his bed. Its been a week since Gary been discharge from hospital. He is surviving even without a machine in which Jihyo felt so relieved. Sometimes, Jihyo felt sorry for her kids as she is neglecting them often as she is busy caring for Gary. She will cry in her sleep as she is tired of waiting. She feel the pressure. It is one fine morning when her parents visiting her. As her mother is watching Min Jung helping Chun Ae and Soo Jin with their food, she thought of something. Min Jung always visit the family and helping Jihyo with her kids. its been a long time since Min Jung lost his wife and his relationship with the family became stronger after the incident 5 years ago. Slowly, Jihyo's mother come to Gary's room.
"Omma, i thought you had a rest just now." 
"How can i rest when my daughter is having difficulty?" She slowly massage Jihyo's shoulder.
"Jihyo ah, what do you think about Min Jung oppa?"
"Oppa? Oh..he is nice. The kids love them." Jihyo continue to set the drip on Gary.
"I don't know what am i thinking but i concern about the kids. They need a father..."
"Omma, stop it! How could you say those things in front of my husband? He can hear you." Jihyo turns her head to her mother, looking annoyed.
"Its been a while Jihyo. You should think about yourself. i believe he will understand if you did it. Its for the kids."
"Why everyone always thought he might leave us? What happened if he wakes up one day? What will he say? I trust him, he will never leave me alone. he will come back. And i already decide, i will never take any other man to replace him as the kids' father." Jihyo gives a long sigh, holding her breath from continue the anger. Mrs Song nodded her head and left them.
"I will never betray you honey.." Jihyo caresses the side of his face.

It was haze in front of her. The same view as her previous dream. She continue to walk. The voice became clearer once she moves forward.
"Please..save me.." The words are ringing in her ears. She walks and almost tripped on the floor when she found Gary.
"Honey! honey!" She runs toward Gary but suddenly a glass door separated them. Both of them were stunned. Gary tries to reach the glass but he was pushed to the back. He was cries in pain due to force from repeated hitting on his body. 
"No! Don't hurt him anymore.." Jihyo cries watching the scene. 
"Jihyo, i don't lie to you. Please trust me. Help me out from this place." His voices are shaking.

"I'm sorry i make it hard for you. I need you.." Jihyo sobs in her words.
"I owe you an explaination. Only one person can help us now..get Gil, my friend. And the necklace.."
"Gil?" 
"Arghh..its hurt!Jihyo, i don't want to leave yet. We don't have much time, help me to get out of this place. Arghhh!!!" Gary had been tortured repetitively
"Honey! Honey! Gary..."

"Jihyo..jihyo ah.." Jihyo blinks her eyes few times before she can recognized the person next to her.
"Min Jung oppa?" She watches the surrounding.
"You are crying just now. I'm scared you will wakes the kids."
"They already sleep?" Min jung nodded his head.
" You must be tired to take care of the kids. I'm sorry to cause you trouble."
"Don't worry. I know you are tired also.."
"Oppa, do you ever had a nightmare before?" Suddenly Jihyo braced herself to ask.
"Yes i have once. It was before i know about my sister's death."
"Are you dream of her?"
"Actually, we kind of communicating in our dream. She directed me towards a clue. About my ex wife that time. I never believe such things but my heart just follow it. I guess our blood ties cause that." he is reading Jihyo's face.
"Why you ask? Do you have a nightmare?"
"Er..actually. I don't know how to start.. To be honest, almost each night, i will dream of Gary. The day before the dream is similar, i will stuck in a place but i can hear his voice. But tonight is different. I can see him. He is desperately need me to help him. He is been tortured there but i can't do anything..he asks me to seek for help."
"What kind of help?" And Jihyo starts to tell him about the necklace.
"Jihyo, do you believe in your love?" Jihyo nodded her head.
"Its kind of telepathy. Only true love who really destined together have this kind of communication. If you believe about your relationship, like me, follow the dream."
Jihyo watches her husband who is evenly breathing like his usual calmness in sleeping. She needs to find Gil tomorrow.
'Are you giving me a sign, honey?'